A Personal Visit from the MD State Police…

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I was told by the Officers that they were forwarded about 40+ cases where MD residents purchased from this dealer, and the firearms acquired should have been sold as a regulated item via a Maryland FFL.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    If that's the case and there is substantial duplication of parts and is a copy of the 550, then it is regulated per the statute.

The law says what it says.

I'm more concerned about the request to produce the other firearms that weren't part of this specific investigation.

It does however use a different style magazine. I agree the lines get a bit blurred.

That is some pure BS. However, I'm sure they are going to ask whenever they have a chance just on the off chance they can catch someone not playing by the rules.

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    Until you are in Op's position its hard to say how you would react. I have my thoughts on how I'd do it, but I can get a top notch legal defense for free so being right won't cost me as much.
    The police could have been dicks. Buying a regulated firearm out of state and not going through a MD dealer is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a $10K fine. If Op had said f-off I think a search warrant and charges would have been in his near future.
    It would be fun to take MSP to court for a declaratory judgment that a 556 is not a regulated firearm, but you could lose and end up with some bad law that would hurt all of us.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Knock Knock.

Who's there?

Mayipolice.

Mayipolice who?

Mayipolice see your entire collection.

Me thinks we are going to see a lot more of this.

And they May not say please next time.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Until you are in Op's position its hard to say how you would react. I have my thoughts on how I'd do it, but I can get a top notch legal defense for free so being right won't cost me as much.
    The police could have been dicks. Buying a regulated firearm out of state and not going through a MD dealer is a misdemeanor punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a $10K fine. If Op had said f-off I think a search warrant and charges would have been in his near future.
    It would be fun to take MSP to court for a declaratory judgment that a 556 is not a regulated firearm, but you could lose and end up with some bad law that would hurt all of us.

/logic.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    They (551 & 556) appear to essentially be the same gun, except for the magazine used. I believe that the 551 takes a Swiss made proprietary magazine, while the 556 was designed to take M16/AR15 mags.

Is a different magazine sufficient enough to not be considered a copy?

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Interesting, the 556 does not appear on the regulated (soon to be banned) list. So that would be a surprise to just about everyone. This is what appears for SIGs, "(34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)." So I guess we just make the rules up as we go now.

No one believed me when I said ir before, but I once was told by MSP that the SIG 556 is regulated because it takes AR-15 mags. I've also been told by a trooper that a stripped AR lower was not regulated.

Had I been in the OP's position I would have asked to see a warrant, not consented to any search, and called my lawyer ASAP.

You're not helping our cause if you play their games.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    They (551 & 556) appear to essentially be the same gun, except for the magazine used. I believe that the 551 takes a Swiss made proprietary magazine, while the 556 was designed to take M16/AR15 mags.

They are NOT the same gun. They use the same action appear similar but the receivers are very different. Those Troopers had no business making you register it. Anyone else who encounters this scenario needs to refuse to let them in and demand to see a warrant.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It does however use a different style magazine. I agree the lines get a bit blurred.

That is some pure BS. However, I'm sure they are going to ask whenever they have a chance just on the off chance they can catch someone not playing by the rules.

To my knowledge there's never been a definition of what constitutes a "copy".

That copy horse left the barn a long time and now that it's out, it's hard to gather it back.

Not saying I like it, but it is what it is.

Now, if they are just saying "we feel like it should be regulated just because...." then that's a little different.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    To my knowledge there's never been a definition of what constitutes a "copy".

That copy horse left the barn a long time and now that it's out, it's hard to gather it back.

Not saying I like it, but it is what it is.

Now, if they are just saying "we feel like it should be regulated just because...." then that's a little different.

Best answer we have... http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opinions/2010/95oag101.pdf

Looks don't count. If it takes different mags, it isn't functionally the same rifle (IMHO).

This reeks of a lawsuit. Making you register the firearm?

It's also obvious they have no idea what they are talking about because they brought up a feature test that doesn't exist yet.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    No one believed me when I said ir before, but I once was told by MSP that the SIG 556 is regulated because it takes AR-15 mags. I've also been told by a trooper that a stripped AR lower was not regulated.

Had I been in the OP's position I would have asked to see a warrant, not consented to any search, and called my lawyer ASAP.

You're not helping our cause if you play their games.

Oh I would have no trouble believing someone told you that. I bet most of them couldn't tell you if the lower or upper of the 556 was the controlled item.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    Maybe they're just being helpful by making sure that you're on the grandfather list since it has a folder and flash hider.:sad20:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Best answer we have... http://www.oag.state.md.us/Opinions/2010/95oag101.pdf

Looks don't count. If it takes different mags, it isn't functionally the same rifle (IMHO).

This reeks of a lawsuit. Making you register the firearm?

It's also obvious they have no idea what they are talking about because they brought up a feature test that doesn't exist yet.

I think that is the opinion that most FFLs have in selling it unregulated.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Oh I would have no trouble believing someone told you that. I bet most of them couldn't tell you if the lower or upper of the 556 was the controlled item.

:) glad to hear it. The MSP is a joke. I have not had too many good experiences with them. SOME Troopers I have dealt with have been professional, knowledgeable and helpful, but the majority were not. They run things so arbitrarily, it's just sad.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Harassment, being coerced into "voluntary" registration. I'm sure a good lawyer could come up with something.

That's the only thing funnier then your other post.

A lawyer already posted his thoughts here on the matter...none of it was sue.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I think that is the opinion that most FFLs have in selling it unregulated.

That was my understanding as well... also as it was the understanding of the VA FFL who sold me the rifle... and as it was for MANY Maryland dealers. Just want people to be aware of the view of the MSP on the Sig 556!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom