A Personal Visit from the MD State Police…

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    Let me start off by saying that the two officers who paid me a personal visit this morning couldn’t have been more professional and kind. They both are a credit to the Force and I appreciate their work.

The circumstances, however, are rather interesting. It starts around the middle of November 2012 when I purchased a Sig Arms 556 gas piston rifle (folding stock) from a VA dealer/FFL. It was my understanding that these are unregulated, cash & carry rifles, sold here in Maryland as well. I got a great deal, filled out the paper work, passed the NICS check, and took my rifle home with me.

Move forward to this morning, 09-05-2013 at 0700, I get a call from my front desk (I live in a high-end condo building) requesting that I come down to the lobby as there are two MDSP Officers here to speak with me. After a brief introduction they informed me that the VA dealer who sold me this particular rifle was under an ATF audit, and they had information that I purchased from this dealer. They were here to inspect the regulated rifle that I purchased and had not registered. I explained my understanding of the MD law firearms law regarding regulated long guns (prior to Oct. 1 of course), but wanted to cooperate fully as I have nothing to hide and I am certainly one who wants everything done by the books.

They came up to my condo and I produced the Sig 556, along with the other two long guns I had purchased in VA (on their request). I also produced my mid-July non-disapproval that I received on my Glock 22 and Glock 17 (on their request). Everything seemed to be on the up & up, and no further questions were asked. They simply requested that I fill out the regulated firearm paper work for the Sig 556-which I did on the spot as they had the forms ready in hand. I also mentioned to them that I thought other Maryland dealers were treating Sig 556 and copies there-of as unregulated long guns. Their reply to me was that they knew of this, and they all needed to be registered.

So to those who have purchased an unregulated (cash & carry) Sig 556 or variant there-of… I would expect a visit from the MDSP requesting to inspect the rifle, and that it be registered immediately. The reason being (as I am told) is that the folding stock, detachable magazine, and flash suppressor make it a regulated long gun.

I can only assume my knowledge of MD regulated long gun law was not as clear as it should have been.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    Interesting, the 556 does not appear on the regulated (soon to be banned) list. So that would be a surprise to just about everyone. This is what appears for SIGs, "(34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)." So I guess we just make the rules up as we go now.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Interesting, the 556 does not appear on the regulated (soon to be banned) list. So that would be a surprise to just about everyone. This is what appears for SIGs, "(34) SIG 550/551 assault rifle (.223 caliber)." So I guess we just make the rules up as we go now.

The question is, and I don't know the answer...is how much of a copy of the 550 is the 556? The SIG site even says that the 556 draws its design from the 550's.

But there's a difference between marketing and reality.

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    So we're going door to door asking to inspect firearms now? Can't wrap my head around why they asked to see your ND's from handgun purchases. Do you even have to keep those? Three words: "Get A Warrant".

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    So we're going door to door asking to inspect firearms now? Can't wrap my head around why they asked to see your ND's from handgun purchases. Do you even have to keep those? Three words: "Get A Warrant".

Yeah...that's a bigger issue than even the 556.

No need whatsoever for them to have seen the paperwork on the other firearms that were not in question.

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    The question is, and I don't know the answer...is how much of a copy of the 550 is the 556? The SIG site even says that the 556 draws its design from the 550's.

But there's a difference between marketing and reality.

You can interchange the uppers and lowers and they work just fine. Some people prefer to build copies using the 556 uppers and Swiss 550/551 lowers But the point being obviously, it does not appear by name. So my opinion is they should go pound sand.

crolfe1984

Enthusiast
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baltimore City, MD
    I did explain to them my understanding of the regulated long gun list, and even brought it up on my computer from the MDSP website. Naturally, the Sig 556 does not appear there. They did insist however that the features on the rifle made it a regulated item.

2/3 of my collection are regulated items so I saw no harm in signing up for another. Wanted other Sig 556 owners to become aware though.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Why did they send two officers? Is that SOP for MSP - do they all travel in pairs?

JDove

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2010
    I did explain to them my understanding of the regulated long gun list, and even brought it up on my computer from the MDSP website. Naturally, the Sig 556 does not appear there. They did insist however that the features on the rifle made it a regulated item.

2/3 of my collection are regulated items so I saw no harm in signing up for another. Wanted other Sig 556 owners to become aware though.

Sounds like they are unsure what makes a regulated rifle.

breimer273

Jul 25, 2013
    SOMD
    I would have respectfully not cooperated.

+1 I might have shown the one weapon in question, definitely would not have given access to any other part of my collection. I understand your point, but the fact that it seems MDSP can't make up their mind in how and what laws to enforce is very frustrating

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    You can interchange the uppers and lowers and they work just fine. Some people prefer to build copies using the 556 uppers and Swiss 550/551 lowers But the point being obviously, it does not appear by name. So my opinion is they should go pound sand.

If that's the case and there is substantial duplication of parts and is a copy of the 550, then it is regulated per the statute.

The law says what it says.

§ 5-101(p) Assault weapon.- "Assault weapon" means any of the following specific
    firearms or their copies regardless of which company produced and manufactured that firearm:

I'm more concerned about the request to produce the other firearms that weren't part of this specific investigation.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

There's no "feature test" (at least until October 1). It's either a copy of the 550 and thus regulated, or it's not a copy of the 550 and, thus, not regulated.

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I'm confused as to why a dealer in Virginia being investigated by the ATF would result in a Maryland State police visit.......Shouldn't the ATF be the ones making the visit if this were the case?

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'm confused as to why a dealer in Virginia being investigated by the ATF would result in a Maryland State police visit.......Shouldn't the ATF be the ones making the visit if this were the case?

They don't have the man power for that at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom