• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    There'd be a dozen cops here sooooo fast. "Really officer. It's legal. I swear. Here. I'll show you the thread on MdShooters..."

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Typically the area served by the water authority - i.e. public water and sewer.

This google search produces the first link which may be of interest:

howard county metropolitan firearm

The PDF that is produced seems to be the bill and IANAL.

Hunters are given exceptions, as long as it is outside the metro area OR within the metro area and 10 acres of land. I _THINK_ I've seen duck/geese hunters at Maple Lawn, right beside of Fulton Elementary and Lime Kiln Middle. There is a blind there anyway and I've seen guys wearing camo come out of it.

Target practice _IS_ allowed outside the metro area, but only on INSPECTED and APPROVED ranges - sigh. That would seem to indicate you need to have your pellet range inspected and approved before firing pellets - sigh.

Oh, and if you want a big sigh, do a google search for "Howard County Deer Management Task Force Report" - some crazy woman wants to give the deer contraceptives. The best contraceptive for deer is at the end of a 30-30 winchester round or broadhead arrow.

Her website, if you're interested: www.animal-advocates.org/
    WTF! That is INSANE, even by Maryland standards! I am in Baltimore Co., live in a row house and shoot archery and air guns in the backyard fairly often. The cops said as long as I keep it safe, there is nothing to worry about. I have a slingshot too, but don't use that much. But I guess such is to be expected for HoCo and MoCo, or Monkey County as we used to say years ago.

I have to put together a long term plan to get the F out of Maryland. West Virginny is looking good. Maryland is a suburban hell until out past Hagerstown or on the eastern side of the Bay Bridge.

Just makes we wonder how we got away with all that stuff when I was a kid growing up in Bethesda.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Okay, just got the "Manual of Range Specification" today from Permits and Licensing. Turns out it is not some mysterious document, but I am still looking for Goat Man.

There are sections for:
    1. Temporary or Single Day Use Shotgun Turkey Shoots and Ranges
    2. Minimum Requirement for Outdoor Shotgun Ranges
    3. Minimum Requirements Outdoor Large Bore Rifle Ranges
    4. Minimum Requirements Outdoor Pistol and Small Bore Rifle Ranges
    5. Minimum Requirements Outdoor Firing Ranges for Pneumatic Guns
    6. Minimum Requirements Indoor Pistol and Small Rifle Ranges

I did not see any provision to SKIP these rules when on your own property. Your results may vary, depending on how "remote" you are and where your neighbors are...

As for pellet guns - pneumatically fired -- THIS IS A SUMMARY ONLY - please obtain your own official copy:

1. Range must be inspected and approved License to operate runs 1 year and must be renewed. This is a general requirement for all ranges, except for the temporary turkey shoots.

2. Must be appropriately posted (every 50' at least 6' above ground all around range, including along driveway/pathways leading to range, 50' of left and right boundaries and 100' behind backstop or targets. Lettering must be 4" high block with contrast

3. Sides of range shall be 8' impenetrable walls OR 100' deep densely planted evergreens.
    The backstop runs the entire width, connected to sides, and must render the "fired projectiles" helpless or useless and not allow ricochets. Suggestions include slanted metal, earthen berm or hill, commercial bullet traps, 100' of densely planted evergreen trees.

4. Various rules about the firing line and targets

5. Rifle racks shall be supplied + complete range rules shall be established and taught.

These rules are NOT just a copy of the Pistol and Small Bore Range rules. They appear to be specifically drafted for pneumatic guns. (The Pistol and Small Bore require 8' side walls and 15' high backstop, among other requirements like no large stones, rock, clay or landfill refuse.)

If anyone is interested, I got a copy from Shari Logan at Licensing and Permits. See http://www.howardcountymd.gov/Departments.aspx?Id=6442468772 under the "Licensing and Permits Division".

For the moderators: Since this is a public document, can it be scanned and posted here?

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    Move to Carroll. The other plus is you get away from the rich yahoo's that moved in and ran the good people out. I spend the first 26 years of my life in western hoco. I mean they are trying to approve the construction of a giant mosque and Muslim school in glenwood.:mad54:

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    If we move it won't be to another county in MD. My wife and I took a whole day driving through southern PA a few weekends ago. I think our current plan is going to be to let the youngest finish high school here (she starts 10th grade in the Fall) and then GTFO.

But there's plenty of topics on that..

Also, that post about the pneumatic range rules looks like you would have to be airlifted into the middle of Yellowstone Park in order to meet their requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom