• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    A liberal friend of mine was ranting on FB about yesterday's background check legislation being rejected - he went on to point out that we need to close the loopholes. I pointed out that there are none and he sent me a link to this NPR (I know) story:

http://www.npr.org/2013/04/17/177650612/gun-site-allows-felons-to-purchase-firearms-online

The interview is such BS I could barely listen to it. The left just cannot wrap their heads around the fact that you can't buy a regulated weapon if you are a prohibited person. I just left at at this with my friend:

Regarding the NPR story - there was literally zero info on loopholes (because there are none).

1.) A reporter concluded that he "thought it would be easy" to buy a gun online if you were a criminal.
    2.) They reported of a person who posted an ad to buy a gun for 250 dollars. So?
    3.) They had a story of a person who sold a gun illegally to another person. So? Arrest him and put him in jail.

There will always be an unscrupulous person or business who ILLEGALLY sells a gun to someone who shouldn't have one - but that's completely different than a hole existing in current legislation that allows a prohibited person from purchasing one.

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just ask people to explain to me what a gun show loophole is and I get the ehhhh uhhhh well you see.

babalooie21204

Aug 13, 2012
    Columbia
    i basically lit up my friend for posting the same type of stuff.... after I EDUCATED her - yeah shes a school teach..... she said posted well obviously our school was misinformed by the principal.... apparently they were told from higher up to vote to take our guns.... HATE MD

Silence&Rage

Feb 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Yup - I just had to educate my wife on the fact that this is all political theater.

Same tactic - explained all of the existing federal law on transfers, inter-state/internet sales & background checks.

Funny how this is left out by all the outrage stories hitting the news this morning. When you ask the question - should gun sales have background checks, most people will say yes, but they're ignorant of all the fed/state laws governing this already. The think and the media supports the myth thy you can buy any gun, any time, anywhere with no scrutiny.

Jan 14, 2008
    I have exhausted myself explaining the facts behind the gunshow loophole, the fact that this legislation they are attempting to pass does nothing to prevent the events that have occurred, and argued every other "buzzword" they can think of ad naseum. So many of my coworkers, acquaintances, and others just swallow whole what they see on TV. When faced with facts they either shut down the conversation or stand blindly behind their comments. I think we need some flashcards to hand out with pretty pictures, catchy slogans, and coupons to some trendy place to make in impact on the sheep.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    It's based on the 40% statistic that keep getting thrown around, which is based on a very old "study," with a very low n and with no statistical validity.

But, the MSM keeps throwing that around as if it were gospel truth and the public accepts it without scrutiny.

Most people actually think that 40% of the firearms sold/traded are done without background checks. So frustrating!

elbaz

May 17, 2012
    Cockeysville
    'Gun Show Loophole' is code for private sales. Usually when you explain that to them and then ask them if they want the feds involved with private sales they will answer no.

04RWon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    I tell them, to hell with the "gunshow loophole". I say worry about the "criminal loophole"

Where criminals can just buy an illegal gun from another criminal without being legally able to own it. This same loophole allows criminals to be charged with minimal crimes, and IF convicted, they serve maybe 1/8th of their time before getting out on good behavoir or parole. Then to do it all over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom