• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    SB 281 has been passed. It's done. However, it's not law until HB 294 passes the House.

HB 294 awaits a committee vote. The chairman of each committee, in this case Joe Vallario, schedules a vote at his discretion. He can choose not to do so, but I think it's clear with this being O'Malley's bill that it will get a vote. Committee will amend as they see fit (or not) then take a vote on the bill as it exists at that point. If it passes, it then goes to the House floor for a full vote, where it can also be amended to hell, filibustered, etc.

If HB 294 is passed in some form that is in any way different from SB 281, it then goes to conference committee. An equal number of Delegates and Senators from both sides of the aisle, chosen by the Speaker and President respectively, will meet to discuss the differences in the bill and try to hammer out a consensus that will pass both houses. If they're successful, the governor will sign it shortly thereafter. If not, it dies. A bill that is substantially different from SB 281, even if passed, isn't the end of the world for us. More differences means more room for disagreement, more arms to twist, more opportunity for time to expire.

Time is very much our friend. The longer it goes without a committee vote, the more amendments offered, the more discussion on the bill, the better. There are less than five weeks left in the session. We're trying to run out the clock here. April 9 can't come soon enough.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    I know this sounds counter-intuitive but I hope they don't water down SB281. If it is going to pass then let it go in its current form. The more onerous the bill is to the exercise of 2nd Amendment the easier it will be to defeat in the courts. I can promise you this bill should it become law will be challenged Oct 1 at 12:00:01 am , the day it goes into effect. There will also be an emergency injunction issued. This law will never see the light of day.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I know this sounds counter-intuitive but I hope they don't water down SB281. If it is going to pass then let it go in its current form. The more onerous the bill is to the exercise of 2nd Amendment the easier it will be to defeat in the courts. I can promise you this bill should it become law will be challenged Oct 1 at 12:00:01 am , the day it goes into effect. There will also be an emergency injunction issued. This law will never see the light of day.

The trouble with this is, courts can strike down individual aspects of a law, without nullifying the whole thing.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    The trouble with this is, courts can strike down individual aspects of a law, without nullifying the whole thing.

Unless there is a separation clause in the law if they strike part of the law the entire law goes down if one part fails. I don't believe there is a separation clause in this bill.

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

That's what we thought about Obamacare, remember? :sad:

Weak_Hand_Only

Mar 17, 2010
    SB 281 has been passed. It's done. However, it's not law until HB 294 passes the House.

HB 294 awaits a committee vote. The chairman of each committee, in this case Joe Vallario, schedules a vote at his discretion. He can choose not to do so, but I think it's clear with this being O'Malley's bill that it will get a vote. Committee will amend as they see fit (or not) then take a vote on the bill as it exists at that point. If it passes, it then goes to the House floor for a full vote, where it can also be amended to hell, filibustered, etc.

If HB 294 is passed in some form that is in any way different from SB 281, it then goes to conference committee. An equal number of Delegates and Senators from both sides of the aisle, chosen by the Speaker and President respectively, will meet to discuss the differences in the bill and try to hammer out a consensus that will pass both houses. If they're successful, the governor will sign it shortly thereafter. If not, it dies. A bill that is substantially different from SB 281, even if passed, isn't the end of the world for us. More differences means more room for disagreement, more arms to twist, more opportunity for time to expire.

Time is very much our friend. The longer it goes without a committee vote, the more amendments offered, the more discussion on the bill, the better. There are less than five weeks left in the session. We're trying to run out the clock here. April 9 can't come soon enough.

Ever have one of those moments where everything clicks into place and you then have a full understanding of a particular process. A full synapse firing where you just say "oh now I gots it"

That just happened.

Thanks

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD

The sad part is we will keep going through this exercise year after year since they keep introducing the same bills over and over on the hope that it will eventually sneak through. :sad20:

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Ever have one of those moments where everything clicks into place and you then have a full understanding of a particular process. A full synapse firing where you just say "oh now I gots it"

That just happened.

Thanks

Glad I can be of assistance. Don't forget to leave a tip in the jar marked "Beer Fund" on the way out. ;)

The sad part is we will keep going through this exercise year after year since they keep introducing the same bills over and over on the hope that it will eventually sneak through. :sad20:

An unfortunate reality. As has been said before by a grabber-type politician "You have to win every single time. We only have to win once."

However, we have a rather impressive streak of years without more anti gun legislation having been passed. As blue as Maryland is, one would expect the GA could pass anything it wanted in terms of grabby legislation, but they're rebuffed every year. Why? You folks. MSI leads the way, but it's not just us or the other organizations. It's the thousands of you folks that write emails, make phone calls, visit your representatives and testify for/against 2A-related bills.

That said, we always need more. More from everyone. It's the only way to defeat such heinous legislation like HB 294.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville

You are correct. However, do not forget HB294 is/was before a joint committee and Chairman Hammen (spelled right I think) and his committee can also offer admendments and vote on the bill. I am not sure they are limited to the mental health issues or will vote on the entire bill as well. They may even meet as a joint committee to debate and vote on the entire bill. If you have not contacted them all, you need to.

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD

The real work will start after this session is over. They have awakened a great many folks that we now need to mobilize to turn the tide of gun grabbers in office. When a couple of people lose their jobs, the rest will take notice.

highfructosecornsyrup

Apr 2, 2012
    baltimore city
    If it doesnt go through now, then theyll keep trying and youll never find ammo. I feel like the best we can hope for is that it gets watered down to soup and passes. Hopefully we wont end up where some of these other states have gone and once they get it off their belts maybe thats the last well hear about it. Theyll focus on selling the harbor to the chinese or something hahaha. Whether we like it or not, theyre going to push SOMETHING through that house to put on MOMs desk, lets just hope that something isnt so bad...

Texas2012

Jan 25, 2013
    Olney

Assuming when you say "both sides of the aisle," you mean D and R, this part of the process may be a very powerful tool. Obviously, they'll hand pick 'em, but still

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom