• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I'll admit it's probably not "too much" windage, it's just that I'm a little OCD, and would like to explore something that's been scratching at that annoying part of my brain...

One of my rifles is an iron sight only carbine and the windage adjustment puts the rear sight about halfway between mechanical zero and the leftmost extreme. It's a factory Colt with FSB and detachable carry handle rear sight FWIW. I've swapped in other rear sights to determine if it's the rear sight, but each one I've tried zeros the same.

Is there something that can be done to bring closer to mechanical zero? And is there a gunsmith willing to do it? Am I just being nutty and possibly introduce problems by going this route?

Thx.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Loosen the barrel and tweak the front sight where it needs to go, lock it down. You'll need to free the front sight and remove the gas tube to do it. Might need to file the pin notch in the upper if you can't adjust it far enough.

It's either that or repin the front sight. Then it's best if you have a mill to set the parts up true before taper drilling and pinning. Much more of a technical process versus tweaking the barrel a few degrees.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    There are often too many variables to say which one is the cause in situations that relate to this issue.

The upper receiver face could be off and require truing.

The front sight base could be off and require Readjustment which means you have to drill for oversize taper pins.

The barrel could be bent.

If the front sight is attached via a rail system the rail system could be off.

If the rear sight is attached via a picatinny rail the rear sight could be off or the picatinny rail itself could be mailed out of spec.

The barrel nut or the muzzle device may be too tight and allowing excess torque values to change point of aim point of impact.

Most of these things are not something that people have the capability to correct properly. I do not advise opening the recess in the upper receiver where the barrel e
    Index pin locks into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom