• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Ok, so I feel really dumb asking this, since apparently I thought I knew what I was buying, but maybe not... :blush:

Is the beavertail an option on a regular Sig P229, or only the Elite models?

The reason I ask is that I was comparing a nitron P226 and P229 (both in .40), and ended up going with the P229 because it had adjustable night sights and the beavertail, plus was a little smaller of course. Price difference was only $50.

Now that I'm back home and looking at sigsauer.com, the only P229's with a beavertail and adjustable night sight appears to be the Elites, so it really looks like I'm waiting to pick up an Elite Dark. If that's the case, it should have been a few more $$. Oh well, I guess I'll find out in about 9 days.

So anyway, what ammo is it likely to prefer?

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    sounds to me like you got a good deal on an elite dark. Or a special order gun that someone decided they didnt really want.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    I've seen P226's that had a beavertail and SRT trigger but no front serrations on the slide
    I've never seen a P229 that way but I guess it's possible.
    Show me a picture of the gun and maybe i can help you.

I'm going to post this question on SigForum and see if we can get you some details

If it has front serrations on the slide it's probably an elite...
    does it look like mine?

P229EliteNitrontitile.jpg

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    I've seen P226's that had a beavertail and SRT trigger but no front serrations on the slide
    I've never seen a P229 that way but I guess it's possible.
    Show me a picture of the gun and maybe i can help you.

I'm going to post this question on SigForum and see if we can get you some details

If it has front serrations on the slide it's probably an elite...
    does it look like mine?

I'll be able to post a picture in about 7 days.... :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, yes I'd say it looks like yours although the rear sight is a little different (adjustable vs fixed), but I can't recall whether it has front serrations or not. Thanks Maui

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I never got the point of a beavertail on the SIG pistols. Seems to me they have plenty enough clearance to prevent hammer bite. I've shot a lot of them, and to this date I've never been bitten by any type of hammer whatsoever.

Maybe I'm just lucky. However, IMO it takes away from the look of the SIG pistols. In any case, nice purchase, makes me want a SIG.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co
    Just got it back from the dealer - its a P229R Elite Dark Nitron in .40, which I got for the same price as they were asking for the regular P226R Nitron.

Pic here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom