• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Are all 5.56 M193 loads created equal? If ammo manufacturers selling to the public labels their ammo as 5.56x45 M193, XM193, etc, should they all roughly be the same in performance? I ask this because I'm going to be trying to stream line my ammo in the future. Shooting off my 55gr .223 ammo and trying to replace it with 5.56 M193. Naturally I'll try different manufacturers loads, but I wanted to know if you all have seen a drastic difference between manufacturers of 5.56 M193 ammo?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Maybe yes, maybe no. M193 was never a NATO standard, 5.56 was not made to a NATO standard prior to the adoption of the M855 round in the 80's (?). It was an American military standard load (and a few other countries) but the recipe was changed a couple of times the most famous being mid Vietnam war and later to help the bullet stabilize better in Arctic conditions. I would tend to think Remington, Federal and Winchester would be best and be cautious before splurging for foreign M193.

I know the Malaysian and South African is very consistent and accurate and the Swiss GP90 load is renowned for accuracy but is horrible for anti personnel use. (Thicker copper jacket to prevent tumbling/fragmenting) Beyond that you're pretty much on your own.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    a little reading...
    http://www.223reloads.com/home/223-5-56-info/223-5-56-reloading/wc-846-loads

as what was posted yeah and no...as stated above, ball 55FMJ M193, some shoots better than others
    TW was a hot round, PMC appeared even loaded hotter, then of course LC.

and most but not all mil ammo on the market is over-run, have heard also (don't know for sure)
    it didn't meet the standard...???<<-- don't hold me accountable for that one...

-Rock

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Thanks for the info and link, guys. I'll most likely not be going with any surplus ammo simply because I want a readily available source. Not something that may dry up. I picked up a few boxes of PMC and Federal 5.56 I'm going to try at my next range trip.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    RnR there is a 3% chance that msipelling may have a hidden meaning.

OP, did you mean you want to find a good round then a source that will not dry up?
    Just curious and I have had good results from the Wolf Gold as well.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Gas Port Pressure is the thing that may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If your gun is ported on the restrictive side, or grossly overported it may run well with one brand and not with the other without messing with buffers, actions springs, or adding adjustable gas.

Buy small quantities of each brand and see if they all run, and then buy in bulk what has the best accuracy and reliability. All of it should be very reliable if you gun is ported right.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    OP, did you mean you want to find a good round then a source that will not dry up?
    Just curious and I have had good results from the Wolf Gold as well.

Finding a good round with a steady supply will be the end result. I'm more interested in how similar M193 loads from different manufacturers are. That way if my primary ammo source goes dry, I'll know if other m193 rounds are similar in performance.

MattTheGunslinger

Ultimate Member
    Jul 26, 2010
    Baltimore county
    Gas Port Pressure is the thing that may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. If your gun is ported on the restrictive side, or grossly overported it may run well with one brand and not with the other without messing with buffers, actions springs, or adding adjustable gas.

Buy small quantities of each brand and see if they all run, and then buy in bulk what has the best accuracy and reliability. All of it should be very reliable if you gun is ported right.

So far I have 4 different M193 loads to try. What I would really like to do is chrono each round, but I have no clue where or how to do that. My rifle has a 16", mid length, pinned FSB, Bravo Company upper on it. To my understanding, they make fantastic uppers. I've already shot it with .223 and it seems to shoot well. We shal see how the M193 does in it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So far I have 4 different M193 loads to try. What I would really like to do is chrono each round, but I have no clue where or how to do that. My rifle has a 16", mid length, pinned FSB, Bravo Company upper on it. To my understanding, they make fantastic uppers. I've already shot it with .223 and it seems to shoot well. We shal see how the M193 does in it.

They make great uppers but they tend to be geared towards hot ammo.

The chrono may show relation to port pressure, but its not the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom