• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Bear with me a moment as I post some very specific criteria to attempt to keep this from going off the rails, as a discussion elsewhere did.

I will be building a bolt action wildcat rifle in which the barrel is only available to fit a Savage short-action .223 frame. My preference is to find a nicely priced used Model 10 or Stevens 200 -BUT- preparing for lack of success, I am looking at a few options with new models. Price has me limited to the Axis, Axis II and Model 25 Walking Varminter. The Axis II is $80 more than the Axis and the Model 25 WV is $100. I know they all come with crappy stocks and plan to drop the project into a Boyd's AT One or Thumbhole Featherlight. I know the Axis does not have an Accu-Trigger and for right around the $100 mark I can get a RifleBasix or Timney to address that at a later date.

So, with that in mind, is the Axis II 80 bucks better than the regular Axis? Is the 25 $100 better?

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    Here is my opinion fwtw. I would say having shot both the Axis accutrigger model and the non acctrigger model that the $80 extra is well spent. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there for a model 25.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Here is my opinion fwtw. I would say having shot both the Axis accutrigger model and the non acctrigger model that the $80 extra is well spent. There doesn't seem to be a lot out there for a model 25.

Is there any difference in the rest of the action? Bolt? Etc? If the difference is just the trigger, I might drop the extra 20 bucks on a Timney.

cyclops

Dec 31, 2016
    Western Md.
    If we are talking about the Axis I don't think so, I believe they're the same except for the accutrigger . I don't have any personal experience with a Timney trigger in an Axis but People generally report being happy with them from what I've read.

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Bear with me a moment as I post some very specific criteria to attempt to keep this from going off the rails, as a discussion elsewhere did.

I will be building a bolt action wildcat rifle in which the barrel is only available to fit a Savage short-action .223 frame. My preference is to find a nicely priced used Model 10 or Stevens 200 -BUT- preparing for lack of success, I am looking at a few options with new models. Price has me limited to the Axis, Axis II and Model 25 Walking Varminter. The Axis II is $80 more than the Axis and the Model 25 WV is $100. I know they all come with crappy stocks and plan to drop the project into a Boyd's AT One or Thumbhole Featherlight. I know the Axis does not have an Accu-Trigger and for right around the $100 mark I can get a RifleBasix or Timney to address that at a later date.

So, with that in mind, is the Axis II 80 bucks better than the regular Axis? Is the 25 $100 better?

I won an Axis II XP Hardwood in a gun raffle a few weeks ago and am pretty impressed with it overall. Only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the plastic clip that holds the magazine in place...seems kinda cheap. I definitely would say the Accutrigger is worth the extra $80 though. Even out of the box its pretty crisp without me even tinkering with it. Unfortunately you just missed their rebate which was $100 off any of the Axis rifles.

blankford

Apr 29, 2015
    Bel Air
    Axis II is worth it.

I recently picked up the Axis II with the accutrigger (.223) and I am loving it. I shot my buddies and really liked it so when I saw the Savage rebate going on I picked it up for 350 (250 after rebate). He told me at least 3 times that if I was going to buy one make sure it has the accutrigger. He wasn't kidding it makes a BIG difference. Great trigger, worth the extra money. Will help a lot if you ever go to re-sell it too. People will want it.

If you're interested I picked up Style: 22549. It has the walnut stock and came with the Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40mm Scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom