• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I knew the no fee for imeadate family transfers, but had thought still the 7 day wait. Is this a change, perhaps since the online thing ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never thought it made sense ( any of it). Just thought it still required 7 day wait, and visit to Barracks .

This is of intrest, as may be doing this soon.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Prior to October 2013, there was no wait between immediate family members. You could file the paperwork with the Maryland State Police within 5 days of (i.e. after) the transfer. ...

And I just checked. This doesn't seem to have changed. Here is a PDF from the MSP licensing portal website that contains the excerpt below ...

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Documents/Licensing Portal - User's Guide.pdf

Page 21 ...

An inheritance occurs when weapons are transferred upon someone’s death.

HQL Requirement: The recipient of the inheritance is not required to have an HQL
    Max. # of Regulated Firearms: No maximum
    Wait: No wait
    Transfer Restriction: The applicant is not restricted or required to wait for transfer of their next regulated firearm
    Location: Barrack or Dealer; or Neither if completed by the applicant with an Application Type of Inheritance and submitted directly to the MSP

10. Gift

Gifts may only be given between immediate family members. “Immediate family” is defined in statute as: spouse, child, mother, father, grandmother, grandfather, or grandchild. When this sale type is selected, the applicant/recipient must define their relationship to the seller/giver of the gift, e.g.:

As the recipient of the gift, I am the [spouse] of the giver of the gift.

A regulated firearm may not be purchased and immediately given to another individual (as a gift, or otherwise), as this is an example of a straw purchase and is illegal in Maryland. The recipient of the regulated firearm gift is required to register the regulated firearm gift by completing and submitting a 77R-E within 5 days receiving the regulated firearm gift.

HQL Requirement: HQL required by both applicant/recipient and seller/giver unless each qualifies individually for exemption
    Max. # of Regulated Firearms: 1, unless applicant is a designated collector
    Wait: Immediate transfer
    Transfer Restriction: Applicant/recipient must wait 30 days for transfer of next regulated firearm unless applicant is a designated collector
    Location: Barrack or Dealer, or Neither if completed by the applicant with an Application Type of Inheritance and submitted directly to the MSP

The MSP recommends the purchase of a gift card when gifting a new firearm.

Timelord

Apr 6, 2013
    Montgomery County
    If we keep talking about Longaberger baskets (my wife has quite a few) the folks in Annapolis are likely to impose a requirement for an LQL and prohibit the sale on the internet or transfer between friends. On a slightly more serious side I too can still safely tell my wife she still owns many times more Longaberger baskets (and pottery) than I do firearms.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick
    I thought it was odd because I was did a transfer from a private individual a week prior using the same MSP 77r online portal & got the email with pin & app# so I expected the same thing, including the not disapproved which was never indicated online either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom