• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Its interesting that they are starting to make Grendel as cheap as 7.62*39. Even if it is steel case.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    This is really the first affordable "new" intermediate caliber ammunition I've seen. I used to want a .300 blk gun, and I may still build one, but 6.5 grendel has really jumped up to the top. I've been checking in on this ammunition periodically, and so far the reviews seem fairly positive. I guess the only question left is: what length barrel do I buy when I inevitably cave and build a 6.5 grendel upper? The folks who are happiest with the round seem to be running 20-24" barrels, but I was really hoping to keep it to 18" or less. Additionally, not that I'd expect a round this slow to be too much of a barrel burner, but I will probably try to go with a melonited barrel/chamber and bolt when I do build one. It has worked out well for other ARs I've run cheap wolf ammo through.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...iews-wolf-6-5-grendel-steel-cased-ammunition/

Linked above is a review/discussion on the WOLF 6.5grendel WPA ammo I found to be interesting.

Last edited:

rtse4me

Apr 12, 2013
    Howard County
    I would just get a 16' barrel or if you have a sbr lower 12.5". Most who choose 20"-24" are using them for long range shooting and wouldn't be shooting wolf. ammo. I built mine to able to shoot longer distances in a AR15 platform.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Personally I am interested in building a 18-20" upper for deer hunting. Since it doesn't have to be HBAR, 20" is fine.

But I'd prefer a caliber in which I can shoot some cheap ammo through it so it only sees range time when I am zeroing it.

Still hoping for steel case .300 blackout and I'll still build a pistol in it as I feel like steel case and/or cheaper ammo is coming as well as it making strong sense for an 8" AR pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom