• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's my gun and the receiver is interchangeable with a cast Springfield. The gas system uses a different these pitch, but this could be swapped as well. Can take a USGI barrel and bolt.

I understand that, but you asked. The receiver was still made as an M1A receiver. The ATF and presumably MSP would likely consider it an M1A no matter what you did to it. If they contacted the manufacturer about the serial number, it is going to show as an M1A.

I prefer not to rely on a good lawyer facing a felony charge if there ever was a reason for MSP to investigate one of my guns.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I understand that, but you asked. The receiver was still made as an M1A receiver. The ATF and presumably MSP would likely consider it an M1A no matter what you did to it. If they contacted the manufacturer about the serial number, it is going to show as an M1A.

I prefer not to rely on a good lawyer facing a felony charge if there ever was a reason for MSP to investigate one of my guns.

C308 built on PTR91 receiver is legal, PTR91 is banned.

HBAR or pistol built on AR15 lower legal, AR15 is banned.

M14S built on m1A dimensional equivalent receiver is legal, m1a is banned.

The receiver doesn't decide what is legal.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The shoes are so 1980-late. Kudos for managing the MDS standard foot in the picture.

I do not really want to know where the other foot is.

How do these actually shoot? I have read mixed things.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The shoes are so 1980-late. Kudos for managing the MDS standard foot in the picture.

I do not really want to know where the other foot is.

How do these actually shoot? I have read mixed things.

I'm definitely not known for my fashion, well maybe I am but not in a good way :)

Barrel is considered high quality but has a NATO chamber. Bolts are known for being soft which causes head space issues.

Best remedy is a USGI bolt and barrel or Kreigar barrel. This is a later model with the fake flash hider, I think to get around import rules. Should have properly heat treated receiver. That can always be done later though if not.

But they were made on US m14 tooling that Smith from SEI helped the Taiwanese sell to the Chinese. If heat treated properly, it's much better than a Springfield cast receiver.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The fake flash hider without the bayonet lug was put on rifles after the 1989 import ban so it has no evil features and is "sporting". To re-evil it, it can't have any more than ten imported parts on it.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    The fake flash hider without the bayonet lug was put on rifles after the 1989 import ban so it has no evil features and is "sporting". To re-evil it, it can't have any more than ten imported parts on it.

True but all the parts people want to add are US made so not really a problem there. Not much spare foreign parts out there.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    So when do we get to see some actual pictures of groups?

Probably awhile. Havent decided how I'm going to proceed with it. I'm told it's good to check head space on these before firing. Gun came with a GI bolt so I might just swap out everything. Just wanted to get it in hand before Nov.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Sounds like a girl I dated in college. I was not sure how to proceed. Too much head space. It was quite a while before I got to fondle, and in the end I wanted to swap out everything.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I'd assume no, because the receiver is an M1A, which is banned by name. What he has there is an M-14s which is not banned by name and because certain critical parts are not interchangeable it is not a COPY.

FTFY.

Copycat is the 29" and two evil features.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    There is a really good write up out on the web (I believe on Warrifles.com) by Walt Kulick formerly of Fulton Armoryon on the CHICOM M14 copies.

Basically, he likes the receivers and blasts everything else. He rambles on about dimensional fidelity and how every NORINCO rifle was basically a one off as parts usually didn't swap well between rifles built on the same assembly line.

Take it with a grain of salt as his job was to sell $3500 hand built rifles, but it's worth the read if you can locate it.

I remember when these were $299 in the early 90s before Clinton signed the import ban. I bought a MAK90 instead as they were only $239. Haha

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would imagine it would be by the criteria these idiots use. Someone ought to just build the guns on Springfield receivers, re-thread everything metric and sell them.

So when's the mill coming? :evilgrin3

Sleepy

Jan 19, 2013
    So what about the James River Rock-ola M14?

Is that a copy or does it get the non-interchangeable parts tag?

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I'd assume no, because the receiver is an M1A, which is banned by name. What he has there is an M-14s which is not banned by name and because certain critical parts are not interchangeable it is not a copycat.

which ones are legal? I really want to get an M14 lol

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    The real deal full auto M14 is legal (with appropriate BATFE paperwork). The Chinese versions of the M1A are legal ( Norinco/Polytech). The made in USA versions of the M1A are banned here in the CPRM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom