• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DennisCA

I have a Mossberg 500 12ga shotgun that I put a wooden dowel in to serve as plug (so it would only hold 3 shells). Well that was years ago and now due to moisture (I'm assuming) the dowel has swollen enough so it won't slide slide out.

Short of taking it to a gun shop, anyone have a suggestion(s)?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does it rattle in there at all? How about using a long wood screw. Top off the magazine first to get the plug all the way up to the open end. Next time use a dowel that's about the same diam. as a pencil.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    If it's been in the tube for years I'd wonder if maybe one or both ends has mushroomed somewhat, rather than moisture being the cause. Going along with what mpds4511 said, If you can get it close enough to the cap end of the tube, maybe a real cork screw could grab it. Or how about taking the cap off and just trying to force shells (empties!) into the loading port?

(I own a few pumps but no Mossberg, if I've demonstrated some ignorance here of their construction I apologize in advance.)

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    If you have a black powder enthusiast friend, you might be able to borrow a screw shaped bullet puller that threads onto a ram/cleaning rod.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/115714/cva-black-powder-bullet-puller-50-caliber

115714.jpg

Feb 28, 2013
    If it's been in the tube for years I'd wonder if maybe one or both ends has mushroomed somewhat, rather than moisture being the cause. Going along with what mpds4511 said, If you can get it close enough to the cap end of the tube, maybe a real cork screw could grab it. Or how about taking the cap off and just trying to force shells (empties!) into the loading port?

Barrin' the "mushroom" issue, I would suggest screwin' a smaller lag bolt into it on the cap end.

If that don't work, theoretically you should be able to pull the tube completely and drive it out with a hammer and a smaller rod.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'd say try and dry it out and see if shrinks. If you can pull the tube off, stick it in the oven at a low temp for a little bit. Otherwise, just put the gun in a warm, dry area for a while.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Why not just unscrew the mag tube, the plunger spring and dowel can come out the receiver end. Then you just put it back together with only the plunger and spring. You already have the barrel off so it's just a matter of unscrewing the tube, you don't have to get into the action portion any.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    How about taking the cap nut off the tube and then loading some shells(carefully) and push the dowel to the top then you might be able to get a hold of it with a screw or some needle nose????

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    They have been trying to outlaw the thing that goes up for a long time now !! It must be evil! !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom