Path 1:
    Take TX online course ($30 ), get certificate
    Get finger printed (~$50)
    Online HQL App ($50)

Path 2:
    Purchase stripper lower (~$70), use #SN on the app
    Get finger printed (~$50)
    Online HQL App ($50)

I would add that there's another $18 or so Texas online-only version and you never leave your house. No driving to class or sitting through 2-3 days of MD Hunter Safety class, and you don't have to deal with the field test. This is the least infringing way possible to get through Maryland's infringment of your rights, unless you're already exempt due to DD214, LEO, previous regulated firearm ownership, etc.

SugeMike

Nov 28, 2015
    Not to be a penny pincher, but this Texas Hunter Safety Course is $15 and all online as well. Pay after you pass. I completed half of it the first night and completed the rest the next morning. Just sent in my HQL app so we'll see if this course makes you exempt. The thread I got it from had a few people in it say it got them their HQL. I'll keep posted.

https://texashuntered.com/

Create an account and select "Online Only Course"

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    Do Virginia's Hunters Safety certs exempt you though? Has anyone received their HQL after submitting a VA cert?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I tried searching a little bit but maybe someone can tell me faster. Will a Florida CCW permit meet the training requirement for an HQL?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    No. The statute requires a 4 hour class taught by a Qualified Handgun Instructor (QHI)

Stateu 5-117.1

(3) except as provided in subsection (e) of this section, has demonstrated satisfactory completion, within 3 years prior to the submission of the application, of a firearms safety training course approved by the Secretary that includesi) a minimum of 4 hours of instruction by a qualified handgun instructor;

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I am so confused because Hunters Ed is probably not being taught by an individual with an MSP cert. O-0

It's grandfathered in..

Remember back then. To buy regulated gun.. You can either do the online video or hunter Ed.

GA tried to scrub it off from the books.. And I think few if us hunters complained enough that they allow it to cover the training part of hql.

MDshooters

Mar 26, 2012
    Salisbury MD
    It's grandfathered in..

Remember back then. To buy regulated gun.. You can either do the online video or hunter Ed.

GA tried to scrub it off from the books.. And I think few if us hunters complained enough that they allow it to cover the training part of hql.
    But only MD's is grandfathered because of the live fire? And TX is OK but not VA? I am meeting with a cop from MD that may be able to shed light on this tonight.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    But only MD's is grandfathered because of the live fire? And TX is OK but not VA? I am meeting with a cop from MD that may be able to shed light on this tonight.

Being a cop in the state doesn't mean they know all the law.. Just FYI.

The DNR regs say another states safety cert is accepted. It doesn't specify the content of the course.

IANAL.
    This.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom