• ...and so much more!
  • Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    What do you do?

I did not do this, but damn I shot milk out my nose.

loadingblock.jpg

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Oh that is wrong in sooo many ways... :lol2::lol2:

I have a few of the old RCBS trays and actually just picked up two of the Frankford Arsenal trays.. I like them! The RCBS trays hold 80 rounds... wtf.. who loads 80 rounds? LOL

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I have the typical odd assortment of rcbs,lyman,some large red thing. I tried a bunch of brown plastic ones that Midway sells with Frankfords name and they were too shallow and not very user friendly. and then I ordered a few wooden and the the more expensive poly loading boards from Sinclair and they both work very well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I never understood using the trays.

I put powder in, I put bullet in, no tray needed.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    First and foremost....... that photo isn't showing a loading tray, it's showing how to lube the casemouths before charging and seating!!!!!!

:innocent0

Secondly, I've used RCBS loading trays for decades. Then, I found the gray MTM trays.

The latest loading trays I use, are homemade trays for my .45-70 cases.
    None of the other loading trays that I have, will hold that grand ole catridge!

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    First and foremost....... that photo isn't showing a loading tray, it's showing how to lube the casemouths before charging and seating!!!!!!

:innocent0

Secondly, I've used RCBS loading trays for decades. Then, I found the gray MTM trays.

The latest loading trays I use, are homemade trays for my .45-70 cases.
    None of the other loading trays that I have, will hold that grand ole catridge!

Good to know that Spam finally has a legitimate use! :thumbsup:

If ever they've packed more God awful chit in a can and called it food, I haven't found it yet.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    "I never understood using the trays.

I put powder in, I put bullet in, no tray needed.
    "

pinecone,
    When I load single stage- various rifle, .44Mag and other low round count pistol calibers, I place 10-50 charged cases in the block and use my Mark I eyeball and a light to check powder column heights prior to seating the bullets. I also weigh a couple of charges randomly pulled from the block.
    This is, for me, the most important single safety step that I can perform. The blocks are essential for that.
    I have a powder check on my Dillon for my common handgun rounds.
    DocAitch

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    In my hands, I would probably spill more powder that way. :)

Not saying it is wrong, just not the way I have found that works for me.

I drop the charge, look to see it looks normal, and seat the bullet. Still weigh every so many charges. But over time, I weigh less charges as I am confident that my measure if throwing accurately.

On my Dillon, I just stand slightly to the left and look into each case at Station 3. Again, if it looks normal fine. If not, weigh the charge.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    RCBS universal trays are the ones I use for single stage loading, but for spraying lube on bottleneck cases, I use homemade wooden blocks that absorb the lanolin. The plastic trays get all slimy when used to apply the spray and cleaning them sucks.

I've seen the "roll on a tray/ shake in plastic bag" methods, but I like to get spray inside of the case mouth as well as the outside. Had a stuck case once and I never want to go through that again.

I like the Spam method of lubing the case necks with greasy goodness. For spraying a larger volume of cases, may I suggest a block of Velveeta. :thumbsup:

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    RCBS universal trays are the ones I use for single stage loading, but for spraying lube on bottleneck cases, I use homemade wooden blocks that absorb the lanolin. The plastic trays get all slimy when used to apply the spray and cleaning them sucks.

I have one tray just for spraying lube on bottleneck cases.
    The cleaning part use to suck, until I was able to convince my wife to let it take a ride through her dishwasher.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have one tray just for spraying lube on bottleneck cases.
    The cleaning part use to suck, until I was able to convince my wife to let it take a ride through her dishwasher.

You know, I pondered that and wondered if the hot water may warp the trays. I'll give that a try in the future. :thumbsup:

Roadhawg

Bee Farmer
    Jul 18, 2014
    Free America
    I like the Spam method of lubing the case necks with greasy goodness. For spraying a larger volume of cases, may I suggest a block of Velveeta. :thumbsup:

That got me thinking fill a spire point with cheese, lube it with SPAM and it would be like a "Hot Ham n Cheese to go".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom