• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Does anyone out in the big wide world have a production (Serial No. F1 and above) MAS44 with riveted side plates on the bolt carrier with the carrier numbered to the rifle? I think that "Proud Promise" is incorrect and that only pre-production rifles were riveted. My belief is that all series production rifles were not riveted but rather dimpled as seen on the example below. So......all you guys who have a MAS44, tell me which you have please. Thanks in advance.

1. Riveted or dimpled?

2. Bolt carrier numbered to rifle?

P1200196_zpsuzksacul.jpg

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Mine, which is one of the last built. Can't ever remember seeing a riveted version. I'm assuming the SNs on the bolt/carrier were applied when reworked.

Attachments

• IMGP9091.JPG
      IMGP9091.JPG
      61.1 KB · Views: 129
    • IMGP9093.JPG
      IMGP9093.JPG
      27.8 KB · Views: 123
    • IMGP9092.JPG
      IMGP9092.JPG
      31.2 KB · Views: 127

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks Mawkie. What makes you so sure yours was reworked? It looks like your furniture is walnut. I'm betting both the stock and forend are numbered and there are only two staking marks on your stock screw.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks Mawkie. What makes you so sure yours was reworked? It looks like your furniture is walnut. I'm betting both the stock and forend are numbered and there are only two staking marks on your stock screw.

Cannot say with certainty that it's arsenal reworked but she came out of long term storage with the plastic sealed pouch of spares, very similar to the MAS 49/56s that were refreshed for storage. That and the fact that it's just so damned clean, not a scratch on the furniture. Have a hard time believing that the French Marines were that easy on their arms.
    Interesting that yours, being built much earlier than mine, got the parkerizing/enamel finish that was discontinued for just parkerizing roughly a third of the way through production.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I think most just sat in racks. Mine looks to have had very little handling and even fewer rounds through it. I'd lay money on it that yours is exactly as it left the factory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom