• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    For years now I've wanted an early P220 but I always thought the only way to get one was to find a Swiss P75 and they are almost unobtanium because they have never been surplused. I did see a later model M75 for sale once at the hefty price of $2200. I would have paid that but it wasn't an early slide model (I call them "humpbacks") so I passed. Well, being the moron that I am, I somehow completely missed the fact that Browning was importing humpbacks all the way back in 1977. A bonus is the fact that they are identical to the Swiss military models other than the markings and they sported a better finish. Well sign me up and take my money!! Today, I brought my first one home, sold in 1977 as the Browning BDA. Let's take a quick look! I'm also using this post to try out a new photo sharing site. I hope it works out.

It came with the box and manual but they were pretty beat up so I didn't bother taking any pictures of them. Anywho, check it out, a P220 humpback!

DmfLsyA.jpg

6NHvbQc.jpg

Notice that the right grip is marked Browning but it's reallt made by SIG Sauer.

Dig the polish on that slide and the finely cut serrations!

tbXfrkB.jpg

And the cool humps on top! The stamping is very finely done.

ok4C6zW.jpg

vLGWJOp.jpg

E0uaxHD.jpg

Also notice that the front sight is not adjustable.

Here's what the humps look like on the inside:
    L6VPEmD.jpg

The front bushing is typical:

efk5fJp.jpg

It has proof marks and a date code on the bottom of it:

tidOC5F.jpg

The care put into the contouring on these early ones is just so neato:

Dbu6NAt.jpg

Here's that area on the inside:

BDg8ZC5.jpg

The frame serial number and nitro proof is on the front strap:

eVZLzd9.jpg

Being an early 220, the magazine release is on the bottom of the grip and there is a lanyard loop as well:

I1FFbLh.jpg

And the magazine is a zipper back:

tgLVnwm.jpg

mTi1np0.jpg

IVgXrdf.jpg

KyNXOWl.jpg

The trigger is still cast but grooved:

gw9PJia.jpg

Internally, it's just a plain ol' stamped slide 220:

2Of4Knm.jpg

oGaVoUP.jpg

Etk60SW.jpg

3Dnmjuc.jpg

There is nothing special about the barrel either:

2eugVUT.jpg

B1ntz8N.jpg

LZXZdPM.jpg

GYBcjv7.jpg

n584GlI.jpg

The barrel pictures show something important that we can learn from. As far as I can tell, this pistol has never been fired after import or, if it was, it was very, very little. Despite this, you can clearly see mottling on the rear portion of the barrel that was left in the white. That's where old funky oil had coagulated and etched the metal. That's there forever and it's very unfortunate as the rest of the pistol looks like it was made yesterday. It doesn't bother me all that much given the age but it's a perfect example of exactly why I am very particular and careful about exactly which protectants/lubricants I use and why it is critically important to occasionally wipe your firearms down and refresh the protectant.

Anywho, I liked the pistol so much, I bought another one. The condition looks to be as good but it doesn't have the box. I plan on shooting that one and keeping this one just as it is. I'll post both of them and the box for this one when I have the other in hand.

This last picture is a family portrait showing the ol' humpback with a 210 made 24 years prior and a compact version made in 1982 and sporting the later simplified slide. I think they did make P225s as humpbacks. If that's true, maybe I'll find one someday.

RCVsYKA.jpg

So that's it. It's just an obsolete version P220 to most folks but it's the culmination of a long quest for me. I really like the craftsmanship and quirky features embodied in these early models. Yes, I'm odd but it works for me! I know there are plenty of these out there so please post one up if you have it. Also post some pictures of an M75 if you have one of those. I'd love to see it!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I wasn't clear I guess. The Swiss marked their pistols differently but it was the same pistol and still made in Germany by SIG Sauer. SIG didn't have their own import operation set up in this country until 1980. So, from 1977 to 1980, they were imported by Browning, marked as a Browning and marketed as the BDA available in 38 Super, 9MM and 45 Auto. After SIG set up shop in Tyson's Corner Va. in 1980, the Browning contract was dropped and subsequent pistols were marked as P220's. But by then, the slide design had changed to the more simplified version we are all familiar with.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    The Browning BDA 45 was my introduction to the Sig P220. I remember seeing it in the display case and immediately thinking, "That doesn't look like any Browning I've ever seen before...". I paid just a little under $400 OTD.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    A friend has a contract P220 that was supposed to go to a local LEA, but the deal fell apart. It has a the euro mag release. It's really awkward to use. But, that is a very nice looking 220. Congrats.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    $400 was a bit pricey back in the early 80's wasn't it? I wondered what they cast new. I wish I could say that's what I paid!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    But at the time , it was ground breaking .

This was the very dawn of the wondernine era in 1977 . This was the second line of semiauto to have a degree of acceptance, after the S&W M39/59 .

By being offered also in .45acp , it let people not enamoured by the 9mm loads of the day , also have a DA/SA Semiauto option.

Back then SIG was a trivia question for collectors. This pistol gained market acceptance and LE contracts on basis of the reputation, and distribution and support networks of Browning. For the first cpl years afterwards the SIG branded pistol was " yeah, it used to be Browning , so they're probably ok ".

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    $400 was a bit pricey back in the early 80's wasn't it? I wondered what they cast new. I wish I could say that's what I paid!

Considering what you could get for $300-350 back in those days, $400 did seem pricy by R&G Club standards.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Thanks for the insights guys! Yes, at the time the P220 was very forward thinking. For me, a large part of the allure with the early version is that it's the original design. Before stainless steel machined slides and accessory rails, before trigger jobs and "Elite" models, before thumb actuated mag releases and tritium sights, there was this; a simple stamped steel single stack pistol that just worked and worked and worked. It's the P220 in its purest form and it's made by Germans when made by Germans meant something. Plus, it's almost as old as me but has held up WAAAAAAY better!

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    It's definitely a cool piece of history to own and like every other German-built Sig, will only increase in value. Nice pick-up! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom