• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I can't imagine waterfowling with a German short hair....they have no fur to protect from cold water. The dog would probably freeze to death in 30 degree air.
    Mine does fine... swims through skim ice, retrieves birds, he don't care... lol

ETA: If I only wanted a winter retriever, I'd opt for a lab, but I want a versatile dog... the Weims, GSP's and Vislas fit this bill to a T.. ;)

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    picks up burrs in his coat like velcro (a pain to deal with after a run in the woods).

Thanks for giving me an excuse for reviewing my new favorite breed.
    Not picking on Boykins, they really are great dogs.. Had a buddy that brought his to Canada for our summer fishing trip every year... she brought in half the woods every night in her coat... wasn't a really big deal though, they are kinda small.

So one day we lost a lure on the boat... it was a twin treble hooked trolling lure... a couple evenings later, Gracie (the Boykin) was crashed on the couch. Went to get up and struggled, which isn't unusual for her, we really wore her out every day... I was sitting next to her and realized when she got up, she was somehow hooked to the couch cushion.... yep, found the lure... :lol2:

We still have that lure hanging in the cabin with a ball of her hair from her flanks still attached to the hooks... we had to cut it out of her... :lol2::lol2:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Most breeds are suited to one type of hunting, likewise most hunters prefer a dog specialized to do one th8ng very well.

That said, in a certain era, there was much interest in europe for highly versatile hunting dogs. Somewhat the German Shorthair, but the Wiemarauner was specifically created to be a do all hunting dog. ( And I've owned two, and I can't remember how to spell it.)
    I have owned both Weims and GSP's, both are versatile hunting dogs... do yourself a favor and look up NAVHDA.. it will enlighten you to many of the various 'versatile' hunting breeds.

Both my Weim and GSPs were great with kids and family and were live in the house pets.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Congratulations! Will be interested to hear how it goes. I had never heard of these until this thread and have wanted a GSP, but these are interesting. The thing is that i don't know that it will be a good dog for me because I would not take it hunting often enough. I am afraid I need more of a home body that could hunt. Not a dog that lives to hunt.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    I don't hunt, but my chocolate lab (English) will retrieve a bumper out of the ocean when it is 12 degrees outside. It is so cold that when he gets out of the OCEAN his fur freezes and he looks like a polar bear. He doesn't give a $hit. He's like a honey badger of getting wet. Would fetch ducks like a champ if I let him but I don't personally like to kill stuff. I respect hunting and those who choose to do it - don't get me wrong. I also like to eat meat. I just choose not to do it.

My black lab is a female and American. She is lazy and more like a cat. Will fetch if it's warm or if properly encouraged, but not like my chocolate, english, brown bear.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I have a chocolate Chesapeake Bay Retriever. I was training her for duck and goose hunting on the bay, but truth be told, my daughter needed a buddy. One night I let the dog sleep with her in her bed and the rest is history: she's not a hunting dog. She's a rottweiler that swims. Great home dog.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I'll post a picture of the pup when I get her. Here are the proud parents.

The first three are the father. These dogs aren't allowed to breed until they've passed extensive field trials, including a trial when they're ~1 year old to ensure they've got the instincts.

Attachments

• Father 1.jpg
      Father 1.jpg
      133.9 KB · Views: 202
    • Father 2.jpg
      Father 2.jpg
      66 KB · Views: 204
    • Father 3.jpg
      Father 3.jpg
      95 KB · Views: 209
    • Mother 1.jpg
      Mother 1.jpg
      194.1 KB · Views: 210
    • Mother 2.jpg
      Mother 2.jpg
      107.3 KB · Views: 200
    • Mother 3.jpg
      Mother 3.jpg
      55.4 KB · Views: 198

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    A few more of the mother.

Attachments

• Mother 4.jpg
      Mother 4.jpg
      166.1 KB · Views: 211
    • Mother 5.jpg
      Mother 5.jpg
      158 KB · Views: 202
    • Mother 6.jpg
      Mother 6.jpg
      132 KB · Views: 194

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Congratulations! Will be interested to hear how it goes. I had never heard of these until this thread and have wanted a GSP, but these are interesting. The thing is that i don't know that it will be a good dog for me because I would not take it hunting often enough. I am afraid I need more of a home body that could hunt. Not a dog that lives to hunt.
    A GSP would fit that bill... only thing they really need is exercise, so you have to plan for that, but I know many with GSPs that don't hunt, nor train them to hunt.

Honestly don't know too many Drat owners, they are a little more scarce in my area, but great dogs from what I have learned over the years about them.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Yeah, I think this dog will need a ton of exercise year round. I've got a couple ideas to mix it up. I'm going to get a sled harness and have her pull me on roller blades on the bike trails near me. I read about some people doing that. Obviously I'll want to take her out for retrieving dummies and toys a lot for exercise, but in the winter when it's dark out I'll need a backup. I'm thinking reflective clothing and roller blades are in order.

Or maybe I'll just rig up something like this in the basement

yogis-space-race_L15.jpg

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Derwood those are handsome parents. Work on blood tracking and sheds. That will keep her busy. Let's friends know when you can help track a lost deer. Wink wink.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Ha! Well yes, maybe starting next season if all goes well and any of you fine people on the Outdoors section of this forum within a decent drive of DC need assistance, feel free to message me.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    Ha! Well yes, maybe starting next season if all goes well and any of you fine people on the Outdoors section of this forum within a decent drive of DC need assistance, feel free to message me.

For exercise, consider trialing and hunt tests. I ruck with my Gordon Setter on the weekends and the Ms. is into field trials. Our pup almost has her JH title and it's good to get on birds during my 'off season' until we can afford some land to raise quail and pheasant on. There's a big field trial next weekend, but there are weekly practices that the SOMD English Setter Club puts on when the weather is good. Most of the members are getting up there and they need new blood.

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    I think a lab sounds like a good fit for you. I have a Chessie and he couldn't be more friendly. He is instinctively gentle with small kids and just a goofball all the other times. Hasnt been to hard to train but the remote e-collar has been a huge help. People claim the are aggressive and not family dogs but if you actually do research on the breeder and the parents you will not have an issue. They are no more aggressive than any other breed. They are definetly more of thinker than labs and goldens though. They tend to try and think of a way to do things themselves.

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    Not my dog for sure, I let her out this morning, went back a minute later to let out the cat and then I woke up enough to join the two of them in just staring like idiots at the Coywolf that was 20 feet out the door and lit up like a Christmas tree by my floodlights. Useless dog, but I love her dearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom