When is the Snow Gonna Fly in Deep Creek? -> Karma Contest!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    This warm fall and early winter have been tough for the WISP and local economy. The skiers generate a lot of revenue for our businesses. :sad20:

I do not know what all the conditions need to be for making snow, but I do know the temp has to be below freezing. Hopefully they've built enough base over the past few days to get running. Even when the temps rise during the day they can often blow enough snow overnight to keep the mountain open - if it's cold enough.

:fingerscrossed:

I will be up there skiing late this month. Sure hope there is some snow there.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    This warm fall and early winter have been tough for the WISP and local economy. The skiers generate a lot of revenue for our businesses. :sad20:

I do not know what all the conditions need to be for making snow, but I do know the temp has to be below freezing. Hopefully they've built enough base over the past few days to get running. Even when the temps rise during the day they can often blow enough snow overnight to keep the mountain open - if it's cold enough.

:fingerscrossed:

Humidity and wind also play a big part in snow making.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Is this contest still going?

Sure. Why not? Since the "snow hasn't flown" I added a new rule in the original post.

All the original rules still apply...

But the way it's going it may be next winter before 3" of snow falls on my deck rail...

That's what I'm hoping for...

:D

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    EDIT - NEW RULE Jan 6, 2016: If the day of your eligible prediction comes and goes without the snow flying it becomes moot and expires. You can post another prediction of a future date only after your first prediction date passes. Your prediction MUST still be 14 days prior to the actual snow event. And - only one active prediction date per member.

In accordance with the above I will pick 1/27/2016 as my new guess even though the real date will be 1/18/2016 but that doesn't give me the required 14 days prior.:party29:

Looking forward to a Hooligan shoot on the 17?

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    In accordance with the above I will pick 1/27/2016 as my new guess even though the real date will be 1/18/2016 but that doesn't give me the required 14 days prior.:party29:

Looking forward to a Hooligan shoot on the 17?

Tom, I wish I could be there. Unfortunately I have to travel on business that day.. :banghead:

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Only one problem with your prediction: It was made on 1/6. That's not 14 days before the actual snow event - if it happens... 14 days ahead of time or it doesn't count. Rules is rules...

I blame that on being awake for 22 hours that day. :o My math wasn't working. Can we make it 1/20? If not, playing by the rules, I will go with 1/22.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Well, now... After re-reading recent posts I have a karma rules exception decision to make:

Based on the updated karma rules I posted on Jan 6 (because the snow hasn't flown) --- and because the good faith predictions quoted in the posts below by both Overboost44 and hitwtom who wanted to place their bets on Jan 18 --- I made an executive Hooligan decision.

Their predictions would be disqualified under the karma rules because they were not made >14 days in advance. However, Jan 18, 2016 would have been my Mom's 87th birthday - her picture is below.

With all that said and in fairness: If the snow flies on Jan 18, both predictions will stand and both predictors will receive the karma prize.

Also, each of their alternate prediction dates remain valid.

My mother was one of a kind. She would have wanted it that way...

:thumbsup:

Lets go with 1/18 if it is not taken.

Only one problem with your prediction: It was made on 1/6. That's not 14 days before the actual snow event - if it happens... 14 days ahead of time or it doesn't count. Rules is rules...

I blame that on being awake for 22 hours that day. :o My math wasn't working. Can we make it 1/20? If not, playing by the rules, I will go with 1/22.

Attachments

• GranPS2.jpg
      GranPS2.jpg
      50.7 KB · Views: 94

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Yeah, I'm gonna have to take you up on that offer as well, it's more like spring than winter right now....

1/13/16

Hmmmm... Interesting "shot in the dark" from over a month ago. I realize 1/13 is Wednesday, but more often than not weather forecasts out here change pretty quickly and snow events have been known to come later than expected...

:innocent0

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL RESULT IN WIDESPREAD SNOW ACCUMULATION
    ALONG WITH SUBZERO WIND CHILLS LATE MONDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY.
    A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MAY BE NEEDED.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom