• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I've been trying to find an answer to this issue but so far not found it directly addressed.

Several people (family and friends) have been complaining to me about various pest animals in their yards causing property damage. These include possum, raccoon and rabbit. They bring this up to me because I'm the only person they know that has any skill with bows, air guns and traps. They'd like me to trap or shoot these critters for them on their private land.

What I'd like to know are the legalities of this. I know you can legally trap raccoon and possum according to state law, but it's not clear what you can do to them afterwards other than relocate. It is also not clear if this can be done to rabbits. Further, it is not clear if any of these animals can be shot legally (the weapon discharge would be legal) and if this counts as hunting and thus requires compliance with seasons and obtaining a license. Any information you have would be appreciated.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    pest or not, they are small game, and can only be hunted/trapped in certain seasons as far as it looks to me. Then you have to follow the hunting rules (dates, limits, weapons, licenses, discharge of firearm/bow near occupied houses)
    Eastern Cottontail Rabbit
    Nov. 3–Feb. 28
    All counties
    4 per day
    8 possession limit

Raccoon & Opossum
    Chasing—no kill
    Aug. 1–Oct. 14
    Mar. 16–July 31
    All counties

Raccoon & Opossum
    Firearms, Bow, Crossbow & Dog
    Oct. 15–Mar. 15
    All counties
    No limit
    No limit
    Raccoon & Opossum
    Trapping
    Nov. 15–Mar. 15
    In that portion of the state east of the Chesapeake Bay and the Susquehanna River.
    No limit
    No limit
    Nov. 1–Mar. 15
    In that portion of the state west of the Chesapeake Bay and the Susquehanna River.
    No limit
    No limit

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/huntersguide/allspecies.asp

That is legally speaking... However some would recommend the SSS (shoot shovel shutup) method

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Biggie313 is correct about the animals listed as game animals. Also relocating any raccon or Opossum is not legal. These animals are known to carry rabies and it is not a good thing to just drop them off out of a havaheart to become someone elses problem.

If you have a real problem call a wildlife control agent or s.s.s.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Also relocating any raccon or Opossum is not legal. These animals are known to carry rabies and it is not a good thing to just drop them off out of a havaheart to become someone elses problem.

Well, Title §10–414 of the NR article states:
    A landowner or the landowner’s agent may set or use steel traps or similar devices at any time to trap raccoon or opossum which are damaging property.

So if it's not legal to relocate, does that mean I'm required by law to "humanely dispatch" them when caught?

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Well, Title §10–414 of the NR article states:

So if it's not legal to relocate, does that mean I'm required by law to "humanely dispatch" them when caught?

I have been doing wildlife control for over 20 years and in very few case's is it ok to relocate a problem animal. Most animals are humanly dispatched.
    coon's and op's that learn to feed off peoples gardens or trash can will keep up this behaivor and just become someone elses problem.

Every county has diffrent regulations as far as how you can trap animals, leg holds are not legal every where for land use. Killer traps, conibears are not legal for land use unless under certain size. these are just examples of the laws you have to be aware of.

I Have done work for people who have tried to deal with the problems them self and run afoul of the law because some dogooder jackass neighbor did not think the animals should be harmed or moved.

if you can s.s.s. then handle it and its all good. If you have ******* neighbors or some nutball treehugger in the family keep in mind the last "s" is the key.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I have been doing wildlife control for over 20 years and in very few case's is it ok to relocate a problem animal. Most animals are humanly dispatched.
    coon's and op's that learn to feed off peoples gardens or trash can will keep up this behaivor and just become someone elses problem.

Every county has diffrent regulations as far as how you can trap animals, leg holds are not legal every where for land use. Killer traps, conibears are not legal for land use unless under certain size. these are just examples of the laws you have to be aware of.

I Have done work for people who have tried to deal with the problems them self and run afoul of the law because some dogooder jackass neighbor did not think the animals should be harmed or moved.

if you can s.s.s. then handle it and its all good. If you have ******* neighbors or some nutball treehugger in the family keep in mind the last "s" is the key.

I read you. No relocating. My MIL's place is a half acre in the middle of nowhere Eastern Shore; probably fine to handle myself. The one in Rockville, we might need to weigh our options.

Last edited:

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I read you. No relocating. My MIL's place is a half acre in the middle of nowhere Eastern Shore; probably fine to handle myself. The one in Rockville, we might need to weigh our options.

just so you know I was not trying to sound like a dick or anything just trying to give you a heads up. I have seen people get locked up because some tree hugger neighbor freaks out over the poor ground hog or the raccoon is suffering in a trap or some crazy bullcrap like that. :sad20:

people can suck!

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Thanks for the heads up. I will be cautious.
    At the very least, all my ranged items are nearly silent. I can hit a dime with my crossbow at 10 meters, and I've hunted small game with my spring-piston air rifle. When I've used a box trap in the past, I keep it well hidden, check twice a day and set a wireless camera when I can for good measure.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    What county do you live in? Most have ordinances against shooting within x number of yards from a street or structure. Wicomico has none but the hunting laws still apply.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    What county do you live in? Most have ordinances against shooting within x number of yards from a street or structure. Wicomico has none but the hunting laws still apply.

The people that want my help live in different counties. My MIL lives in Talbot where they don't have discharge laws. Several others are in MontCo, where they do have regulations that apply to not only guns, but air guns and bows. Guns and air guns can't be fired within 50 yards of a public road or within 150 yards of a house without the occupant's permission. Bows can't be fired from, across or onto a road, or within 150 yards of a house without permission. Both of these regulations have exceptions for shooting "dangerous animals" such as being rabid or causing injury to people or pets.

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    I have a rat problem in my neighborhood. I spoke with other frustrated neighbors about shooting them with a .22 rifle. They all agreed not to call the police, and to stay indoors after we discussed when I'd be shooting. Everything worked out just fine. The rats are mostly gone and the neighbors are grateful. I'd imagine that if you approach the situation with a fair amount of common sense there won't be a problem. Don't shoot towards dwellings, always shoot into the ground, minimize ricochets and don't walk around brazenly with a rifle on your shoulder.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    I have a rat problem in my neighborhood. I spoke with other frustrated neighbors about shooting them with a .22 rifle. They all agreed not to call the police, and to stay indoors after we discussed when I'd be shooting. Everything worked out just fine. The rats are mostly gone and the neighbors are grateful. I'd imagine that if you approach the situation with a fair amount of common sense there won't be a problem. Don't shoot towards dwellings, always shoot into the ground, minimize ricochets and don't walk around brazenly with a rifle on your shoulder.

Winner:thumbsup:

TonyB.

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2012
    It may be, but will still likely garner a call to the police by a nosey passer-by. Then you'll have to explain to the LEO what you're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom