• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kelson1066

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked up another M9130, 2 gun cases one for the mosin, one for my Savage 22, and 50 rounds of 7.62x54R

I think I blew my gun budget for that day. So I guess I have to wait to by my Russian spam cans of ammo.

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    2x window less pgmags
    a pound of H4895.
    a can of one shot case lube
    a hornady large primer cleaner
    a cheapo hafner holster for my g23
    a couple of various brushes
    buttstock cleaning kit for my m1s.
    borelight

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    It was a toss-up between the $1500 PSL and the $750 WASR-10's.

What the **** happened to gun shows? Are they trying to scare away customers with stuff being priced up to 2x the actual market value?

Oh, and I almost forgot the jackass at some holster booth who literally followed me halfway down a damn aisle trying to sell me "the very latest and best in tactical concealment gear!" When I told him the third time I wasn't even CLOSE to being interested in his wares, and turned to a table to look at a gun, he actually squeezed BETWEEN myself and the table to stand about 3 inches away from me, and attempted to pitch me again.

Almost makes me glad I'm going back to Afghanistan...at least there, you expect them to act like shameless asshats who'd sell you their own mother if you made an offer...Apparently expecting a modicum of decency and respect is too much to ask in Chantilly these days.

I don't think they're making any new PSL's. Most of the kits available don't have a barrel. Something to consider, also the dollar ain't what it used to be. Check Gunbroker out on PSL's and you'll see even a kit with a barrel is pretty pricey. I'm thinking about getting a kit just for the spare barrel.

WASRs on the other hand, no idea why they'd be so pricey.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Picked up my first mosin and a tin of surplus 7.62x54

All numbers match on the mosin for 1944 from Izhevsk but the bottom of the magazine floorplate is restamped and the old serial is stamped with a line through it. From what i've researched it sounds like they did refurbs to guns already produced after they made the changes in 1930 to the design. Has anyone heard of leaving the old serial on and just stamping a line through it during the refurbish process?

Yes. It was relatively common. You'll have fun learning about the various modifications and stamps on Mosin-Nagants ... always something new! For the most part, though, the WWII years M-Ns that are coming into the U.S. were re-manufactured to Ready for Issue (RFI) condition after WWII. These were apparently sent back to the arsenal in the 1950s-60s (and probably also later), where they were put back into almost-new condition. In many/most cases, this was done by combining parts that were not original to the firearm. The earliest ones to be re-manufactured tended to have the old serial numbers of the bolt "scrubbed" (ground off) if they didn't match, and a new number stamped onto it to match the one on the barrel. Mags were harder to scrub, so they often stamped a line through the old number and stamped the new one next to it. Buttplates didn't seem to matter too much to them, so it's a little more rare to find a butt plate that matches and wasn't scrubbed. They often don't match. Bayonets that match are even more of a rarity these days.

The later re-arsenaled M-Ns (or ones prepped for export more recently) have numbers put onto them with an electro-pencil engraver. This makes the numbers "match" for export, but I prefer to see them stamped on metal that hasn't been scrubbed. Keep in mind, though, that these were made as mass-produced military weapons, rather than collector pieces, so having one that's cobbled together out of parts from various weapons is arguably more likely to be one that saw actual service.

Last edited:

schreib

Stupid Newbie
    Mar 2, 2011
    Rockville, MD
    Yes. It was relatively common. You'll have fun learning about the various modifications and stamps on Mosin-Nagants ... always something new! For the most part, though, the WWII years M-Ns that are coming into the U.S. were re-manufactured to Ready for Issue (RFI) condition after WWII. These were apparently sent back to the arsenal in the 1950s-60s (and probably also later), where they were put back into almost-new condition. In many/most cases, this was done by combining parts that were not original to the firearm. The earliest ones to be re-manufactured tended to have the old serial numbers of the bolt "scrubbed" (ground off) if they didn't match, and a new number stamped onto it to match the one on the barrel. Mags were harder to scrub, so they often stamped a line through the old number and stamped the new one next to it. Buttplates didn't as too much to them, so it's a little more rare to find a butt plate that matches and wasn't scrubbed. They usually don't match. Bayonets that match are even more of a rarity these days.

The later re-arsenaled M-Ns (or ones prepped for export more recently) have numbers put onto them with an electro-pencil engraver. This makes the numbers "match" for export, but I prefer to see them stamped on metal that hasn't been scrubbed. Keep in mind, though, that these were made as mass-produced military weapons, rather than collector pieces, so having one that's cobbled together out of parts from various weapons is arguably more likely to be one that saw actual service.

Awesome, thanks for the info! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom