• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I bought my first Mosin 91 30 (all serial numbers match), a span can of 7.62 x 54r, two Bulgarian AK mags, and two Polish AK mags. Theresa bought a .45 caliber necklace (her second one).

UPDATE: this is how I shot at 50yds at Creasp today.

Attachments

• IMG_1713.JPG
      IMG_1713.JPG
      106.6 KB · Views: 724
    • IMG_20120729_195816.jpg
      IMG_20120729_195816.jpg
      80.2 KB · Views: 453
    Last edited:

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    I picked up a bunch of 30 round pmags, a forend for my AR, an extended mag release for my glock and a Colt beltbuckle. ;)

You'll like that Mosin, they are lots of fun! Was it still in cosmo?

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    I picked up a bunch of 30 round pmags, a forend for my AR, an extended mag release for my glock and a Colt beltbuckle. ;)

You'll like that Mosin, they are lots of fun! Was it still in cosmo?

No - the dealer removed the cosmo. I really like the rifle and cannot wait to shoot her at Creasp tomorrow.

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    No - the dealer removed the cosmo. I really like the rifle and cannot wait to shoot her at Creasp tomorrow.

Nice, removing cosmo is a pain. Make sure to check the firing pin protrution. I have two and love shooting them. It can be painful if not mounted properly though:)

Zombie_013

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 30, 2011
    Germantown, MD
    Nice, removing cosmo is a pain. Make sure to check the firing pin protrution. I have two and love shooting them. It can be painful if not mounted properly though:)

thanks a lot. why do guys have them stick a bullet into the end of the barrel? I saw that today and was wondering.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Nice, removing cosmo is a pain.

Naaah! Removing cosmoline is an opportunity to really get to know your new firearm. It's almost like undressing a new girlfriend for the first time. I came home with an M44 that's just dripping in cosmoline, and that's what I love to see. While it can cover up a multitude of problems, it usually is preserving a piece of history as well as anything that you could imagine. Besides, anyone who gets a Mosin-Nagant and thinks that the dealer cleaned off all the cosmoline is probably mistaken. Chances are very high that they only wiped off the excess stuff on the outside, and there'll be plenty more that just isn't as visible. Clean the beejeeziz out of the thing anyway.

Time to go get a couple of rolls of paper towels and get started on my project. It's an Izzy, but the couple of Tulas that I saw weren't as nice as this one ... good, honest, numbers matching, signs that the bore is pretty tight, etc. As for price, when you factor in shipping, hand select fee, etc., this one came out to just about the same price as the ones that recently showed up (very briefly!) online. Best of all, though, I got to do my own hand selecting from more than five choices.

Dark Sun had some really nice hexes and rounds, too. This would be a good time to pick one up, if you are thinking about it.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    thanks a lot. why do guys have them stick a bullet into the end of the barrel? I saw that today and was wondering.

It's to test the tightness of the bore to make sure it hasn't been worn out (usually from overzealous use of a cleaning rod from the muzzle)

MPDickerson101

MPDickerson101
    Jan 30, 2012
    Gotham City (Baltimore)
    I did not get there until 4:30pm! I said what the heck and paid the cash. I rushed thru to find some Pmags and to check the price on mags for my 22/45.

I ended up with 2 pmags @ $15/each and happen to find a vendor that was selling them for $15 each or 10 for $140. I went for the extra 10. BTW these were Maglevels (w/window).

No luck of the 22/45 mags - I only saw 1 table with them and they were $21.99. I should have purchased them just to get them off my "to buy" list.

I may go back tomorrow...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's to test the tightness of the bore to make sure it hasn't been worn out (usually from overzealous use of a cleaning rod from the muzzle)

What is it you are looking for, out of curiosity. Do you just put the bullet in the muzzle, and make sure it is nice and tight?

TheCrow

Jun 22, 2011
    Granite, MD
    Naaah! Removing cosmoline is an opportunity to really get to know your new firearm. It's almost like undressing a new girlfriend for the first time. I came home with an M44 that's just dripping in cosmoline, and that's what I love to see. While it can cover up a multitude of problems, it usually is preserving a piece of history as well as anything that you could imagine. Besides, anyone who gets a Mosin-Nagant and thinks that the dealer cleaned off all the cosmoline is probably mistaken. Chances are very high that they only wiped off the excess stuff on the outside, and there'll be plenty more that just isn't as visible. Clean the beejeeziz out of the thing anyway.

Yep, you're right :goodpost:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County

Did you see an old fat guy with a gray ponytail doing that today? If so, that was me. As soon as I started checking bores at the muzzle like that, all of a sudden guys around me were wanting the same thing done ... but they also started selling more rifles. Bottom line: If a round is easily "swallowed" all the way up to the brass (or worse), it shows that at least the muzzle end of the bore is either wallowed out, has been counter-bored, or was counter-bored because it was getting wallowed out. The thing will still go "bang" and sling a bullet a long ways, but it's not likely to be particularly accurate ... and it's a fair predictor that the bore isn't going to be in very good shape the whole way down.

Of course, you really aren't going to be able to tell much for sure about the condition of the bore until it's been cleaned, and slugged, but you can't do that until you've bought it and taken it home. Checking the muzzle end of the bore with a bullet is an easy test that you can do out on the floor.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    My dad picked this up for $200. Blueing is a little worn, but the stock has the most figure I've ever seen in a K31. No import marks.

Attachments

• IMG_3893.jpg
      IMG_3893.jpg
      90.5 KB · Views: 582

jleahey

Oct 10, 2010
    Sadly i think ALL they would sell md is ammo and mosin's ..... found several long guns i wanted (mainly the saiga 762) 4 shops told me sorry about my luck .....

however i did buy another mosin and some ammo .. just not what i went there for ... prob wont go back to va for a gun show if their all like that

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    It's amazing how completely and utterly ignorant most gun dealers are. It wouldn't be slightly less annoying if they didn't pretend like they there were such an authority about it. I was listening to one start in about how Md residents can't buy anything with a pistol grip. Dark Sun is the most amusing. They were telling how the VA assault weapons ID requirement was really meant to paraphrase the now expired Fed. AWB, so the AWB verbiage applies. Uhh, okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom