• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deadlunch

Jun 9, 2018
    Bowie
    Sooo, I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I've been watching these 2 rifles at basspro.
    1. DPMS Panther Arms Oracle -$530
    2. S&W M&P 15 sport 2 -$700

Purpose is primarily for home defense, something to take to the range and something to learn and grow with.

If anyone out there has handled both and has strong opinions about one over the other, especially in regards to reliability, accuracy, suggested ammo, etc. I'd appreciated your feedback.

Thanks

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Sooo, I am looking to purchase my first rifle. I've been watching these 2 rifles at basspro.
    1. DPMS Panther Arms Oracle -$530
    2. S&W M&P 15 sport 2 -$700

Purpose is primarily for home defense, something to take to the range and something to learn and grow with.

If anyone out there has handled both and has strong opinions about one over the other, especially in regards to reliability, accuracy, suggested ammo, etc. I'd appreciated your feedback.

Thanks

I don't own either one, but I have heard some negative things about the S&W.
    There was a recent thread on he some where.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    No to the DPMS. If you're willing to spend another $200 for the S&W, what's another $200 for a Colt? :shrug:

+1 for the Colt. I picked one up a short while ago, and am just now sighting it in. Very accurate even with a low power optic at 100 yards, pretty darn good OEM trigger, and the fit and finish is quite good. I had Clandestine check it out, and everything was well within spec. As the saying goes, buy once, cry once.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Despite the great appearance of (exterior) similarity, not all AR rifles are created equal.

Parts quality and fit and function vary substantially. If this is just a range gun AND you have a hard stop limit as to what you can spend AND malfunction (even occasional) is: an issue you can put up with AND you can fix, then your choices are ok.

As noted above, IMO you’d be better served by getting a better quality weapon. You’ve gotten good ideas (various other manufacturers) above as well.

Best of luck.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    First rifle??????

Don't go 'cheap'. You'll regret it, later on.

First Choice:
    Colt. AR-6721 (I heard that Colt is getting out of the HBAR 'game'.
    Not certain of that. Buy one IF you can get your hands on it.
    You won't regret it.

Second Choice:
    Windham Weaponry. Any of the HBAR variety, here in MD.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    You may also find much better deals at a local gun shop versus using a big box store. You will definitely be able to get more instruction on how to care for it and personal service at most LGS.
    What part of the state do you live in?

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I second the notion to not buy at bass pro. There are a few brands that you basically have to go to big box stores for because of the manufacturers distribution schemes but a local gun shop is probably going to have a much better selection of ARs than basspro.

Take a look at the Rugers and the Springfield Saint (if there is a MD version). They are both priced well and get very good reviews.

I'm still trying to understand what the problem is with the S&W M&Ps that wolf would issue a warning about them. Do they have proprietary parts? Seems like if they are mil spec rifles that they would operated exactly like every other AR out there.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I read much about the malfunction nature of the non-Colt/WOA/Windham, etc.
    Aside of immediately apparent functional problems what are the heavy use malfunctions actually experienced by members contributing these posts?

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Welcome aboard, where are you located?

Some of our IPs are having great sales.

There may be some Ruger AR556 (MD compliant) available for $499.

Really can't go wrong there as a first rifle.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I read much about the malfunction nature of the non-Colt/WOA/Windham, etc.
    Aside of immediately apparent functional problems what are the heavy use malfunctions actually experienced by members contributing these posts?

I go by what people in the business of repairing them say. Out of the box, Colt has the best reputation.

I'm not saying others aren't or can't be good. Quality control is in question. They can certainly be made to function without concern.

I have parts from different manufacturers and am an admitted cheapskate when it comes to buying things. I'll try something out for fun. I have several guns that aren't that great but fun nonetheless.

With that said, I don't ever cheap out on things that matter. If my life or my family depends on it I will get the best.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Colt is the standard others are judged against. You may be able to buy better but it will cost more and not perform any better. There are so many AR type rifles and brands out there and they are all not equal...some are functional and little more. Some aren't even that. This is a good time to buy a rifle on the AR platform.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Welcome aboard, where are you located?

Some of our IPs are having great sales.

There may be some Ruger AR556 (MD compliant) available for $499.

Really can't go wrong there as a first rifle.

I just bought one of those less expensive Rugers, and I'm very disappointed in it. It has the worst trigger out of the box of any rifle I've ever shot, all the mating/friction surfaces the BCG and receiver are as rough as sandpaper, and although it may ultimately be reliable, it's never going to be a rifle that I will choose as my first line of defense or recreation.

I admit I've become more attuned to the benefits of quality components as time has passed, and for a first rifle, without the benefit of having upgraded and tuned other rifles, I might not know the difference. Maybe I'm just being overly critical. YMMV.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Colt! Buy once cry once. Protecting your family is worth the extra cash.

My first AR was a DPMS. In a few months I traded up into the Colt. I should have bought the Colt from the get go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom