• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I'm looking for a 308 bolt gun and found a Rem 700 on gunbroker with Leupold MK IV glass that, per Leupold's website retails for $1600. It's a used package, but it's selling for significantly less than just the scope would new. I've never bought used before. Is it reasonable to think of this as buying a nice used scope with a rifle tossed in for free?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'd read the description and view the pictures a couple times to make sure you're really getting what you think you're getting. I'd also check to see what street price is on the scope and rifle. But it's not necessarily a bad deal - I've sometimes found amazing deals on GB simply because the seller didn't do a good job with the listing, or people didn't understand just how rare the item really was (*caresses his one-of-dozen-in-the-US transitional IWI Barak*).

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Depends which Leupold MK IV you mean. Street price is nowhere near the MSRP on the Leupold Website for some models/reticles. Also, Remington 700s had a trigger recall a while back. A good Timney replacement will probably cost you $150 -$200.

Without a price or link hard to say if its good or not. I have found really good deals, but I have also found a lot of pure wishful thinking.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I've bought a several great shooters on GB because they were ugly. Some cleaned up, others are still ugly but impressively accurate. I don't care what a gun looks like, the purpose is to put a bullet in a specific place.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    They are going on ebay for about $1100 so the seller is pretty close at $1400 for the scope and rifle in used condition. Still a pretty good deal. Better hope someone doesn't snag it while you're trying to figure things out...

Hippy

Mar 11, 2008
    Frostburg Md
    Most sellers on GB allow for a 3 day inspection which should help you in evaluating the package. BUTT you cannot fire the rifle

I have purchased quite a few rifles both from Guns America and GB without any issues

Good Luck

Jim

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    They are going on ebay for about $1100 so the seller is pretty close at $1400 for the scope and rifle in used condition. Still a pretty good deal. Better hope someone doesn't snag it while you're trying to figure things out...

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

$1400 is a fair price for this package.

Once you place a bid, I belive the buy now feature goes away, so you could try to snag it for $1200.

I'd enquire about the trigger before pulling the trigger, but you have to figure that's going to be another $200 of work if the trigger has not been fixed for the recall. If it were me I'd do the trigger either way, I am spoiled for nice triggers these days.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My experience has been that scopes do not add a lot to the resell value of a rifle since there are so many options and uses for them out there.

Don't get me wrong, a nice scope will help the price but I doubt its a scope being sold with a rifle attached.

That does sound like a good price for the set and the other recommendations others have said are spot on.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    That's an interesting take, Smokescreen. I've heard many shooters say they spend far more on glass than on the rifle. I've never actually looked through a high end scope. The most expensive I've got is a Vortex Spitfire 3x on an AR. But my eyes are going and I generally need more magnification. I'll be interested to see with my own (old) eyes how much better a Leupold scope is than the knockoffs I've always used.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    I won the auction for the first bid price ($1200)!

I sent a personal check earlier this week, expecting it'd be the full 2 week waiting period before the seller shipped the gun. I figured I'd order ammo next week. But I came home tonight and the rifle's in the mail! Fedex is delivering to the FFL tomorrow! :party29:

I might just have to buy ammo local...

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    Turns out I need to buy more robust chains or maybe AR500 hooks for my targets. LOL

I really like that Leupold MK IV 6.5-20x55 LR/T scope.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Turns out I need to buy more robust chains or maybe AR500 hooks for my targets. LOL

These work quite well from shootingtargets7. I've converted over completely from chains. No more 'friends' cutting my chains downrange w/ lousy shots;) I'm told used firehose works well too but don't know where to get that.
    rubber-strap-sizes_1.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Tow strap is a good idea. I have an old beat up one I should just cut up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom