legislation requiring that people who are caught with a loaded handgun be locked up f

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-davis-gun-bill-20160221-story.html

"The idea makes sense to me," said Attorney General Brian E. Frosh, who as a senator shepherded through the legislature a 2013 gun control bill that gave Maryland among the toughest laws in the country. "I like the idea of increasing the penalty for someone carrying a weapon without a permit. …

As if being able to obtain a carry permit is even remotely realistic for "law abiding" peasants.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Is an "illegal" handgun a legal handgun carried illegally?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/bs-md-davis-gun-bill-20160221-story.html

"The idea makes sense to me," said Attorney General Brian E. Frosh, who as a senator shepherded through the legislature a 2013 gun control bill that gave Maryland among the toughest laws in the country. "I like the idea of increasing the penalty for someone carrying a weapon without a permit. …

As if being able to obtain a carry permit is even remotely realistic for "law abiding" peasants.

Too bad he doesn't like the idea of increasing the penalty for someone who actually commits a violent crime

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I'm curious about what Hogan will say. So far firearms are too hot of a topic, and only 5% of MD'ers are declined permits so ... he should say ... wait for it ...
    go get a permit.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Be careful what you wish for ...

As State Senator from MoCo, Frosh 'desk drawer veto'ed' every bill that placed harsher penalties on criminal gun use, so why would he be advocating it now other than to give license to law enforcement to go after the 'low hanging fruit' of law-abiding CCW holders who might accidently carry in the wrong place, or to simply place another roadblock to head off any challenges to the G&S status quo. After all, if they won't prosecute known illegal dirt bike riders, why would they prosecute known illegal gun carriers ?

Probably because they shoot first. :innocent0

Perhaps this old video will provide a clue ...

Yep, Senator Brian Frosh needed a new job. Unfortunately the ignorant voters of MD gave him a promotion.

Last edited:

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo

This is the bill proposed publicly by BPD Chief Kevin Davis (on behalf of Frosh), and it WILL apply to carrying outside handgun permit restrictions. This is a horrible bill for a multitude of reasons.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    I really like this quote

"They tend not to be the 'law-abiding public' who decided not to get a permit," said University of Missouri-St. Louis criminologist Richard Rosenfeld

This is MD it's not up to the law-abiding public to decide if they want a permit, I want one, was one of the 365 that was turned down for not having G&S, so that logic does not apply here.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Don't they already have laws against purchasing, owning, possessing, and using handguns illegally in a crime?

Don't we read on MD Case Search after nearly every well-publicized shooting in MD that the perp had multiple prior arrests involving illegal firearm possession or use, only to find that the firearms charges were nolle prosse'd, or minimal time was served with early parole and the perp actually committed the new crime when he should have been behind bars for the previous one?

This law only makes sense to the AG because to him, every 2A restriction, ban, burden, cost, or fee imposed on firearms ownership makes sense to him. Name one that hasn't.

The simple, sad truth is that MD prosecutors and judges are soft on gun crime and subsidize it with leniency... while at the same time, law abiding citizens are taxed with burdensome restrictions, costs, and fees.

And when this proposal doesn't work, the MGA probably will add new, separate crimes, e.g. additional penalties for pointing a gun at someone, for looking through gun sights while aimed at a person, for putting one's finger on a gun's trigger with malicious intent, and the list could go on and on. Turn one act into 10 different charges, then nolle prosse all of them and let the guy walk again.

And these yuckapucks keep getting elected to the MGA on their promises of promoting safety. Stunning idiocy. Oh, of course some criminal defense attorneys in the MGA, like Vallario have made very lucrative political and professional careers from this.

There really are enough gun control laws.

How about they start controlling the criminals?

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    I get the feeling that the guns being discovered in carry-ons at the airport might have been the catalyst for this piece of feel-good tripe.

Isn't that already illegal or are they just following the Dean Wormer School of jurisprudence ?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This is the bill proposed publicly by BPD Chief Kevin Davis (on behalf of Frosh), and it WILL apply to carrying outside handgun permit restrictions. This is a horrible bill for a multitude of reasons.

Bingo. It's a poison bill aimed at permit holders. Frosh knows full well that existing permits can be so restrictive that it's easy to run afoul, no matter if unintentional or momentarily. Frosh also sees the writing on the wall regarding shall-issue and wants to get out in front of it. This bill has absolutely nothing to do with real public safety. It's designed to make it easier for the state to ensnare gun owners with carry permits, including shall-issue if/when it happens.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    And...

If I read this right, it will also make it illegal to carry on your own property or business.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    If so, it flies in the face of every 2A win in recent years... Should go nowhere, fast.

It hasn't stopped them in the past. They would spend OUR tax dollars in long, drawn out litigation which requires our side to spend even more of our limited funds to contest and win. This battle can't be fought in the courts without mega-buck benefactors like the NRA, or savvy 2A lawyers who will do it pro bono.

Take it to the streets, a la Rack & Roll's tactics. It's just another bill with unintended consequences, but this time with Frosh's backing. Time for a little more public shaming.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The police commissioner is on WBAL radio talking to C4 about this right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger