• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    A few months ago I decided to purchase a accurate bolt action rifle chambered in .22lr. This rifle will be used for target shooting out to 50 yards, vermin control and long range plinking. The rifle also needed to be suppressor ready. My budget for a complete rifle excluding the suppressor was $500.

I spent a few weeks doing research, watching videos and reading reviews. I settled in on a rifle that I already have a little experience with, well it's cousins anyway. (Savage MKII FVT's are great for teaching juniors) The Savage MKII FV-SR chambered in .22lr.

The Savage MKII FV-SR receives high marks for accuracy but has one known fatal flaw, the synthetic stock. I worked around that flaw by purchasing a Boyd's TactiCOOL stock from Midway USA. This added about $125 to the cost of the rifle but the rifle only cost $250+tax making was well within my budget. I did find a better deal on line after the stock arrived though. http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1038843&CAT=8796 To keep cost down I decided to use a low end scope and rings that I already have on hand.

First the stock:

Once the stock arrived I found the wood to be a little soft for my taste. Since it was unfinished it required some work before I could get it out to the range. It also required a few additional parts. If you purchase this stock don't forget to pick up a trigger guard and magazine bottom metal. I remembered the trigger guard but thought the factory bottom metal would work. This held my project up for a few days.

After a bit of sanding I primed the bare wood. I used an automotive primer and paint because I wanted a chemical resistant finish that will hold up when I clean the rifle even though I will probably remove the barreled action from the stock before cleaning.

Once the primed stock was ready I applied 5 coats of Black Metallic spray paint. The color wasn't exactly what I had in mind or what the cap showed but it will do for now.

I allowed the paint to cure for 24 hours (the directions on the can only required 1 hour drying time before the stock could be handled). The barreled action was fit into the stock, which required a little sanding. The scope and suppressor were also installed at this time.

The completed rifle now wears a low end Bushnell 3-9X40 scope. This scope is only temporary. I am doing a little research to find the right one for my needs and price range.

The suppressor is a YHM Aluminum MITE. A great value and extremely light weight.

Off to the range:

I found a little time the other evening to make a short trip to the range. I decided to keep it simple and get the rifle on paper at 25 yards. I took me about 15 shots to get the scope dialed in to start shooting a few groups. The ammo used was CCI standard velocity. (I'll bring out the good stuff once I pick out an appropriate scope)

Once I had it pretty well zeroed I fired a few 10 shot groups. Both groups were fired from the prone position and off of sand bags.

The first measuring 0.675 inches. The grid lines are 1/4 inch.

I did a little better with the second, 0.205 inches.

This isn't to bad for low end ammunition and a brand new rifle. Other then sighters to get it zeroed this rifle was new and unfired.

What I learned

I need to do a little more work with this rifle to have a complete opinion but so far I really like it.

The enlarged bolt handle makes quick reloads easy and intuitive.

It comes with the rail to mount a scope. This rail has plenty of clearance and allows for easy eye relief adjustment.

The factory stock sucks! but I'm not completely sold on the Boyd's TactiCOOl stock. I may upgrade to a Bell and Carlson at a later date. Only time will tell.

I plan to update this thread as I get time to try out other ammunition and mount a better scope. (I would like to find a scope with side parallax adjustments and target turrets for under $250.) If you have any suggestions please feel free to share them.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I'm looking for a stock as well, what don't you like about it?

The wood is fairly soft, I think it's poplar and it is a little lighter then expected. It does have a high comb which fits me well. The length of pull is also adequate for me.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Which LOP did you pick? I've been thinking about that stock for my savage. Does it feel unbalanced with a light stock and target barrel?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Which LOP did you pick? I've been thinking about that stock for my savage. Does it feel unbalanced with a light stock and target barrel?

The LOP is 14 inches. It's not really a balance issue, I am more accustumed to heavier stocks. I may add some weight to the but by drilling a 1/2 inch hole under the pad and inserting some steel washers.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Lead would probably be a option as well, you can compress it to fill the drilled holes, so there's no rattling.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Lead would be my choice as well, just use small/medium sized shot, and it shouldn't rattle if you completely fill the hole.

Rifle looks good, keep us updated. Or, if you had some free time, and would want to let a neighbor try it out, I'd gladly volunteer.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I got my MTR stock from Sharp Shooter Supply http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

They set everything up exactly how I wanted it, including the LOP. Very nice stock; fit was great. I used their recommended finish from Brownell's and that worked out great.

The only complaint is the time of delivery and communication. Estimated delivery was 8-10 weeks. Actual delivery was something like 28 weeks.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Lead would be my choice as well, just use small/medium sized shot, and it shouldn't rattle if you completely fill the hole.

Rifle looks good, keep us updated. Or, if you had some free time, and would want to let a neighbor try it out, I'd gladly volunteer.

Lead shot could work, I will have to consider it.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I got my MTR stock from Sharp Shooter Supply http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

They set everything up exactly how I wanted it, including the LOP. Very nice stock; fit was great. I used their recommended finish from Brownell's and that worked out great.

The only complaint is the time of delivery and communication. Estimated delivery was 8-10 weeks. Actual delivery was something like 28 weeks.

Long wait and price put their stock out of consideration.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Where are you seeing the Bell and Carlson stock at?

Edit: I have looked again and must have made a mistake. That's what happens when I work on several projects at once. I am also replacing the stock on a 10/22 and must have mixed them up.

The 10/22 replacement came in yesterday, I went with the Titan instead of the B&C.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Well it didn't take long for me to change the scope. I forgot that I currently have a Bushnell Elite 3200 sitting in my parts bin. It is now mounted and ready to be sighted in.

This scope is a higher quality optic and is Parallax adjustable. Having this adjustment is a necessity for my purposes.

Last edited:

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I had a little time this afternoon and made a quick trip to SLSC. The purpose of the trip was to sight the Bushnell Elite 3200 in and try for a few groups at 50 yards. All shots were taken from a standing position with the rifle rested on a sandbag which was sitting on the pistol range bench. This range is not ideal for what I was doing but I wanted to get it on paper which required shooting at shorter ranges first.

I fired 35 rounds in 5 shot groups at various distances(starting at 15 yards and moving out to 50 yards) to get the new scope dialed in. Once dialed in I fired an additional 15 rounds also in 5 shot groups at 50 yards. All shots shown here were taken without the suppressor.

:party29:MAN THIS THING CAN SHOOT!:party29:

This group was pretty good but not my best. .477 inch at 50 yards isn't to bad though.

This is my best group of the day.

That's just over a 1/4 inch at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity.

I have ordered some match ammo just to see if it can get any better. My plan is to shoot from a steady bench seated on my next trip and see how much it can improve. :D

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    This seems to be the exact setup eveyone does to their Savages. 2 of my friends did the exact same, as did I. Thing is a nail driver. I threw the original stock away, people at the CC landfill thought I was nuts.

Have you bedded it yet?

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    This seems to be the exact setup eveyone does to their Savages. 2 of my friends did the exact same, as did I. Thing is a nail driver. I threw the original stock away, people at the CC landfill thought I was nuts.

Have you bedded it yet?

No bedding yet but I have been considering it. I need to check weight first. I plan to shoot in a benchrest match with this rifle and I don't want to go over the weight limits for light rifle.

I am considering an Apache trigger though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom