• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I want to take one of the NRA courses to get better at shooting pistols. I first learned to shoot a rifle in the Boy Scouts 20 years ago.

More recently, I've had some informal instruction on shooting pistols from a friend who is a police officer. So I know some basic fundamentals but I'm not all that great at shooting accurately.

I was just about to sign up for the self-defense pistol course but had second thoughts. Should I take the basic pistol course first? Will I be bored out of my mind/ waste $165 and a day if I do that instead of the defensive course?

Thanks!

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Take a basic handgun handling course before moving on to a self defense course. You need to have the fundamentals down before learning some defensive tactics. Then practice...practice...practice!

The money spent doesn't cost...it pays.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    There is prerequisite on attending nra defensive classes.. if you meet those then take it.. if not start with basics pistol.

Ex.. protection inside the home.

"Prerequisite:*This course is for law-abiding adult citizens, as defined by applicable federal, state or local law, and experienced shooters (shooters able to show mastery of the basic skills of safe gun handling, shooting a group, zeroing the firearm, and cleaning the firearm). Prospective participants can demonstrate that they have the requisite knowledge, skills, and attitudes by producing an NRA Basic Pistol Course Certificate, NRA FIRST Steps Course Certificate, NRA pistol competitive shooting qualification card, military DD 214 with pistol qualification, or passing the Pre-Course Assessment"

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    Short version: Find an instructor (or someone) that can evaluate your current skill level and then get you putting rounds on target, not one of the NRA courses you mention.

Long version: If you’re set on either the NRA basic pistol or defensive course, I agree with the others that responded and suggest the basic pistol course. Mastering the fundamentals is key.

It sounds like you are only looking for the marksmanship portion to “get better at shooting pistols”. I think the question you have to ask yourself is this: what new information and skill development am I going to have after 8 hours of instruction and $165? If you already know how pistols function, how to clean a gun, and safety then do you really need to commit to an entire day to extract the marksmanship portion? It’s like taking an entire driver’s education class to get better at parallel parking.

To wrap this up, if Calvert isn’t too far of a haul for you send me a PM and we’ll see if we can get you where you want to be.

HD1200S

May 6, 2013
    NRA Basic

Personally I would take the NRA Basic Pistol course first. They also have a first steps course but this is for the very beginner, never handled a handgun type. The most important factors in shooting well are taught and reviewed extensively. The elements that make up the shot are where its at. Look for a class in Lexington Park, MD if you do not want to spend $165.00

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You will probably learn stuff you did not know in any course you take. Taking a course also has the benefit of providing you documented proof of a certain level of experience, may come in handy some day.

With all that there are plenty of other learning opportunities out there, take advantage of as many as possible.
    Here is one for you:
    http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom