• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ellist

Oct 15, 2014
    Buy a good bolt action .22LR rifle and hone your skills. Something by Savage or Ruger will do the trick. When you've got your skills honed with that rifle purchase a caliber suitable for what you and your friends will hunt.

89GLH

Jan 26, 2012
    This sounds like a troll post, aka one that sounds like it should be reported to authorities. Based strictly on the language of the post it's fishy (to me). If you're trying to build a video game rifle, might want to do more research before asking too many bizarre questions. Creepiness of this thread aside and assuming you're trying to get into the hobby, I'd start with an AR and learn the basics before you waste your money on a "sniper rifle." Cheaper to feed and easier to learn on. I have my AR doped out to 700m, and can put accurate hits on 6" steel no problem. Then you can step up to a Ruger RPR or something to 'reach out and touch' plate steel.

172pilot

Aug 28, 2010
    I am a new fanboy of the caliber 6.5 Creedmoor for precision shooting. The caliber is extremely flat shooting, easy on the shoulder and is more than powerful enough for deer hunting.
    I bought an entry level Thompson Center Compass in 6.5CM with a Vortex 3-9x40 for $365. That rifle is far more accurate than I am.
    The Savage Axis seems to be the choice of most for a quality rifle on a budget. Listen to the people who mentioned don't skimp on the optics.

I've never really shot more than a couple rounds through any rifle, and never been hunting, but I recently won a raffle, and got a "Howa Game King", in 6.5 Creedmore at the recommendation of 2 knowledgeable friends.. I shot it last weekend for the first time with the help of one of them, and after shooting it in with 5 rounds at 25 yards then another 5 at 100 yards, I was consistently getting within 1" of bullseye at 100 yards.. That rifle is definitely more accurate than I am, and it was awesome to shoot. I would definitely recommend checking it out, although I have very little to compare it to. I do have a 2.23 AR, but haven't shot it with a scope, so it's hard to compare..

ClutchyMcClutcherson

Aug 29, 2016
    Odenton, MD
    I had a savage fcp-sr in 308 that I bought from an IP hog sniper. I put a vortex viper gen 2 on top and it’s good to go. You can do that setup for a couple hundred less than your $2000 max

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    I had a Savage 111 in 30.06, wasn't a bad rifle.
    I now have a Rem 700 SPS in .308. She's been rebedded into an Archangel chassis. A PA 4-14x44 mildot ffp reticle w/sunshade. Thing is a tack driver. And maybe $900 total out the gate

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    hello guys,

i’m looking to purchase a sniper rifle. Since i’ve never fired a sniper rifle before, what would you guys recommend for a newbie like me that’s worth the money?

i’ve looked around and so far, there’s remington 700, tikka x3, and savage axis?
    what do you guys think?

I wont hit you with questions or snarky comments.

I'm finishing up a Savage 110 tactical with a 24" barrel ~$700. Seekins medium rings ~$100 and a SWFA SS 3-15x42 ~$700 and its in 308.

It's a solid platform and a good scope. You can shoot this rig for years. I went with the 308 because of he information base on it. It won't shoot a line like a frozen rope like 6.5 creedmore or the new .224 and that's good with me. Any monkey can shoot a platform like that and I wanted to learn the Art more than the science hence sticking with the 308 which is affected more by environmental factors. Your/our problem is finding ranges long enough to do more than just target shooting which I would say is 600 plus. I know Mayberry has a 600 yard range but I don't know of a 1k range in MD

I have to make a decision on a bipod yet but I'm to start without one.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/110Tactical

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1086981288401/seekins-precision-30mm-picatinny-style-rings-matte (They were on sale with free shipping)

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

rch184

Aug 30, 2010
    Ceciltucky, Md.
    Ruger at CDNN

Great rifle....

Attachments

• 20180404_113020.jpg
      20180404_113020.jpg
      46.7 KB · Views: 237

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    hello guys,

i’m looking to purchase a sniper rifle. Since i’ve never fired a sniper rifle before, what would you guys recommend for a newbie like me that’s worth the money?

i’ve looked around and so far, there’s remington 700, tikka x3, and savage axis?
    what do you guys think?

I like my .243 (6mm) Sako Forester semi-bull barrel, with the Lyman Targetspot scope. Mine is 15X, fixed, and fully adjustable lenses. 2" high at 100 yards, is dead on at 200 yards. Aim 4" high for 400 yards. I love it.

Last edited:

MrGrey

May 23, 2017
    hello guys,

thanks again for all the recommendation. I have finally decided to invest on a cheap rifle (savage axis) for now so i can learn how to shoot it.

First off, let me apologize about the title came up to be and how most of you thinks i’m either trolling or seems fishy that should be reported.

Again, I’m still a newbie to rifles so I just assumed they are called “sniper” rifles. I guess i’ve been watching too many movies...

Those who gave a recommendation and what you think I should get for my first one, i really appreciate it. i’ve looked up each one in youtube and i’ve like the savage axis for the price and also how much people recommend it for beginners.

There’s been a lot of crazy things happening in the world lately, ( mass shootings, etc) but if you’re judging me based on my wording and the lack of knowledge i have in rifle makes me suspicious saying things like (who are you shooting, sounds like someone to be reported, etc) i don’t know what else to say.
    i guess i made a mistake asking here in the forum, i just thought that people would kindly direct me to the right direction without being judge, guess this is how the world works now.

Again, thanks to those mature response and recommendations.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    We gun folks can be a bit tedious sometimes (and paranoid, and defensive). Battered gun owner syndrome.

I think picking up an accurate budget rifle and shooting it a bunch is a great choice. I started with a Tikka 695 (before Tikka was cool) that I got for $350 NIB. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of that rifle. I would try to pick out one that has a heavier barrel profile. Varmint guns are often a good choice in that regard. Did you consider the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM?

This video seems decent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT03zoWr-58

Dec 30, 2015
    i’m looking to practice first with target shooting, then eventually go on hunting with friends.

as far as budget, i’d like to keep it minimum $1000 but no more than $2000. i can always upgrade later, just wanted something to practice on with a good quality rifle in that price range.

id like to have both to be honest, one as bolt action and semi, but for my first, i’d like it to be bolt action.

I don't see it on Savage's web page anymore, but I went with a Savage 10 FCP-SR. It is one of their Law Enforcement series. 24" threaded heavy barrel. I went with the left handed model, since I am one. Looks like they have moved on to calling it the 110 Tactical and raised the price $100. It still fits in your price range. I put a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50 moa scope and was right at $1,200. Look on Gun Broker to see if you can find a nice used FCP-SR. I love the gun.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    hello guys,

what do you guys think?

A grenade has a killing radius of 25 meters and you don't have to spend a ton of hours at the range practicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom