• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Given...from the opening post accurate equates to precision. Technically incorrect but this is a firearms discussion and accurate is used to indicate an accuracy with precision.

Once upon a time, when I started shooting, it was bench rested groups were used to report accuracy and precision in the arm, fundamentally handguns. For long guns it was and is a given. Slowly it eroded into "combat hand held accuracy"...many times meant excuses for less than stellar skill or precision arms. Really, the subject pistol used can hit a humanoid target at 10 yards is proof of good 'accuracy'? For the once a monther...maybe. In the past year or two the rested group accuracy has been more prevalent in firearms review articles...finally. I personally have gotten rid of several firearms because they were not capable of the level of repeatable precision I could utilize. I may not be the best shot but I can tell the difference between a near contact distance COM blaster and a capable distance arm.

To both a beginner and a seasoned, capable shooter the arm should have at least somewhat greater and accurately repeatable precision than they are presently capable of realizing (that ought to start something). Without it, feedback from shot placements will not be reliable and improvement will not be optimum. Many shooters realize there is more than just shot placement on target needed to improve but this is an accuracy/shooter thread.

So, yes, "Everyone is always asking about the firearm's accuracy but the real question is "how good is the shooter?"". In the same breath don't pass off less than credible guns and say it's the shooter. Both are needed (duh...just thought I would say it). Inexperienced shooters will not see how inaccurate they are until someone shoots their capable arm and demostrates it's potential. Then they will KNOW SERIOUS practice is in order. I knew that when a shooter put one ragged hole in a target 15 yards away with my Security Six when I was starting out. I'll never forget the day and the lesson.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Not everyone that came back multiple times came back screwed up. My MOS was 11B then reclassed to 63H after my hip injuries. The units that were there is actually classified information. If you served message me for more details.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Just glad to know you made it back in one piece. I was also an 11B and 11H but served in Berlin during the mid-70's to early-80's.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Given...from the opening post accurate equates to precision. Technically incorrect but this is a firearms discussion and accurate is used to indicate an accuracy with precision.

Once upon a time, when I started shooting, it was bench rested groups were used to report accuracy and precision in the arm, fundamentally handguns. For long guns it was and is a given. Slowly it eroded into "combat hand held accuracy"...many times meant excuses for less than stellar skill or precision arms. Really, the subject pistol used can hit a humanoid target at 10 yards is proof of good 'accuracy'? For the once a monther...maybe. In the past year or two the rested group accuracy has been more prevalent in firearms review articles...finally. I personally have gotten rid of several firearms because they were not capable of the level of repeatable precision I could utilize. I may not be the best shot but I can tell the difference between a near contact distance COM blaster and a capable distance arm.

To both a beginner and a seasoned, capable shooter the arm should have at least somewhat greater and accurately repeatable precision than they are presently capable of realizing (that ought to start something). Without it, feedback from shot placements will not be reliable and improvement will not be optimum. Many shooters realize there is more than just shot placement on target needed to improve but this is an accuracy/shooter thread.

So, yes, "Everyone is always asking about the firearm's accuracy but the real question is "how good is the shooter?"". In the same breath don't pass off less than credible guns and say it's the shooter. Both are needed (duh...just thought I would say it). Inexperienced shooters will not see how inaccurate they are until someone shoots their capable arm and demostrates it's potential. Then they will KNOW SERIOUS practice is in order. I knew that when a shooter put one ragged hole in a target 15 yards away with my Security Six when I was starting out. I'll never forget the day and the lesson.

This kind of spurs a though. Something that has always bugged me(but just a little)- "This rifle gun(for ease of discussion) shoots better than I do". I always want to ask "how do you know?" I know what they are saying. It just seems unnecessary to say.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Attachments

• leeii.jpg
      leeii.jpg
      29.4 KB · Views: 114

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This kind of spurs a though. Something that has always bugged me(but just a little)- "This rifle gun(for ease of discussion) shoots better than I do". I always want to ask "how do you know?" I know what they are saying. It just seems unnecessary to say.
    I once owned a Mini-14 that had a 2-7x Vortex scope. I don't think that I could do more on my part to squeeze past the 2-3 MOA that I was getting at the range. However if one of my AR's groupings is showing more than a 2 inch spread at 100 yards and I'm using magnified optics (usually a 1-6x), that's probably all me. I would stay away from the cliche that you brought up of course ;) , as it's variant of the one that I mentioned upthread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I once owned a Mini-14 that had a 2-7x Vortex scope. I don't think that I could do more on my part to squeeze past the 2-3 MOA that I was getting at the range. However if one of my AR's groupings is showing more than a 2 inch spread at 100 yards and I'm using magnified optics (usually a 1-6x), that's probably all me. I would stay away from the cliche that you brought up of course ;) , as it's variant of the one that I mentioned upthread.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I always say "still trying to learn this gun" and leave it at that. ;)

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I have taught kids to shoot for more than 30 years and they always want to point out the hole closest to the center of the bulls eye and I always ask them about the snowbirds out in the white.

If you want to get better focus on group size not where the group is on the target because if you can shoot a tight group we can move the point of impact by adjusting the sights (seldom do two people shoot a particular gun to the same zero). The way to shoot tighter groups is to do the same thing the same way every time and when every group is a similar size and they wont get any smaller then start changing one thing at a time and study the results. If the groups get better keep doing the change if they don't get smaller then go back to what you were doing and try a different change. I tell the kids when you know exactly where every shot should hit, based on the sight alignment and sight picture at the instant the gun goes off, then you will know if that flyer was caused by the equipment or the shooter.

I see people at the range who are happy if they hit the gong somewhere six out of ten shots (they think they are a world class sniper). I am still trying to make them all go through the same hole (as a kid one of my instructors was 1948 Olympic Gold Medalist Arthur E. Cook and I watched him put a box of 50 .22 LR through a single hole, the size of pinky fingernail, in a target at 50 feet just to prove there were no "flyers" because of the ammunition).

Here are three resources to make you a better shooter, start reading study the basics:
    CMP Coaching Resources
    http://thecmp.org/training-tech/coaching-resources/

USAMU Pistol Marksmanship Guide
    http://www.bullseyepistol.com/amucover.htm

USAMU International Rifle Marksmanship Guide
    http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/us army international rifle marksmanship guide.pdf

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    I have taught kids to shoot for more than 30 years and they always want to point out the hole closest to the center of the bulls eye and I always ask them about the snowbirds out in the white.

If you want to get better focus on group size not where the group is on the target because if you can shoot a tight group we can move the point of impact by adjusting the sights (seldom do two people shoot a particular gun to the same zero). The way to shoot tighter groups is to do the same thing the same way every time and when every group is a similar size and they wont get any smaller then start changing one thing at a time and study the results. If the groups get better keep doing the change if they don't get smaller then go back to what you were doing and try a different change. I tell the kids when you know exactly where every shot should hit, based on the sight alignment and sight picture at the instant the gun goes off, then you will know if that flyer was caused by the equipment or the shooter.

I see people at the range who are happy if they hit the gong somewhere six out of ten shots (they think they are a world class sniper). I am still trying to make them all go through the same hole (as a kid one of my instructors was 1948 Olympic Gold Medalist Arthur E. Cook and I watched him put a box of 50 .22 LR through a single hole, the size of pinky fingernail, in a target at 50 feet just to prove there were no "flyers" because of the ammunition).

Here are three resources to make you a better shooter, start reading study the basics:
    CMP Coaching Resources

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITARY/us army international rifle marksmanship guide.pdf

Thank you.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    “This gun is more accurate than I am”, is true for all guns. Using a given lot of ammunition it will shoot the same way within its level of precision. The shooter is the variable which causes stray shots beyond that firearm’s group capability. No surprise, duh again again, had to say it. The hang up with the statement is acceptance of mediocrity in shooting ability. The goal, it seems to me, is to outshoot the gun, i.e. develop a wobble zone smaller than the gun’s inherent group size. That is when one has develooed the ability to shoot tight groups. blacksmith mentioned one of the best techniques to improve shooting skill I know of...calling the shots. I can’t say how many years I focused on calling shots and shooting consistent groups so I would KNOW my sights were regulated correctly. And I still do. I work to be a credible and I’ll always strive improve.

BTW, blacksmith, I shot a few registered bullseye matches at Art Cook’s Academy of Shooting Science using a Mk II and a DA revolver when I was in that circle. The talent shooting there was incredible. A fella named Jake ran the matches.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    [/B]

"The Repeatable Swing"

From golf to riflery to archery, this principal holds true. I load all of my own ammo(except .223 plinking ammo and .22LR). Rarely have I had a 'flier'. I strive to know where each shot will hit. I'm by no means an expert marksman, but I continually strive to improve every range trip. I have good days and bad. It's mostly a head game.

Last edited:

Major03

Ultimate Member
    If you want to get better focus on group size not where the group is on the target because if you can shoot a tight group we can move the point of impact by adjusting the sights (seldom do two people shoot a particular gun to the same zero).

I tell the kids when you know exactly where every shot should hit, based on the sight alignment and sight picture at the instant the gun goes off, then you will know if that flyer was caused by the equipment or the shooter.

I would just add that an important way to get better is to "call" every shot (e.g. make it a habit to make a note...literally write it down in a logbook or binder... and then record where the impact was). Make notes of what the conditions were, what you did as a shooter. These notes are invaluable for coaching and for self analysis.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "How do you Know" & " The gun is * always * more accurate than the shooter " .

Not to seem to have a swelled head , but I have a reasonable idea of my shooting capabilities within various parameters , when using a firearm of sufficient accuracy. Along the lines of " once I achieve a group size of X.x , under certain conditions , I can no longer seperate the guns ability vs my ability " .

So yes , I have shot guns that were less accurate than my abilities . The subsequent decision then becomes , is the gun/ ammo/ optic if present sufficiently accurate for its intended purposes ?

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    "How do you Know" & " The gun is * always * more accurate than the shooter " .

Not to seem to have a swelled head , but I have a reasonable idea of my shooting capabilities within various parameters , when using a firearm of sufficient accuracy. Along the lines of " once I achieve a group size of X.x , under certain conditions , I can no longer seperate the guns ability vs my ability " .

So yes , I have shot guns that were less accurate than my abilities . The subsequent decision then becomes , is the gun/ ammo/ optic if present sufficiently accurate for its intended purposes ?

Knowing that the barrel of the weapon is static and the ammo is constant or factor that does not vary in specified circumstances, then it is safe to say the shooter is always the variable that can change at any given time. Practice and weapons familiarization on a bi-monthly basis helps.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If I know that barring called flyers I can shoot X.x in groups ( with rifle capable of at least that precision ) , and it is giving me 5X groups , I'll initially doubt myself . But when I switch to different rifle of known accuracy, and get nominally X.x groups 3 minutes later , I know the problem is rifle #1 .

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    "The Repeatable Swing"

Form golf to riflery to archery, this principal holds true. I load all of my own ammo(except .223 plinking ammo and .22LR). Rarely have I had a 'flier'. I strive to know where each shot will hit. I'm by no means an expert marksman, but I continually strive to improve every range trip. I have good days and bad. It's mostly a head game.

Seen you shoot the hairs off a fly's ass at 100 yards. Stop being so modest! :D

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co

CMP Coaching Resources

Thanks for these links. Great stuff.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Thank you for your service my Brother.

It's all you, my friend. Hopefully you'll come to appreciate the same sense of camaraderie I get from being a member of this group because (and this is no BS) if you hang-around for awhile, you'll begin to realize that some of the finest people you'll ever meet are right here in your midst. MDS is a haven for grunts, like us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom