• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Anyone know if they are interchangeable? I can find M57 rear sights, but they are more expensive than TT33 rear sights.

My M57 continues to shoot about 12” low at 12yds and even filling the rear sight with the front does no good. Doing that and aiming at the top of a 12” target results in bullseye hits, but it is a terrible sight picture, so I spray the target.

My thought was either the rear sight was filed down too low or it was a replacement from another pistols and never checked. My front sight is way too short already to be filed down to correct for how off it is. Not sure a replacement rear sight will add enough height or even any height.

However, if I could pick one up for cheap I’d be willing to try welding across the top of the sight to add a tenth or so to the sight height, file it smooth, notch and then blue it once I’ve gotten it zeroed.

Granted I’ve literrally just started welding, so I don’t feel equipped yet to try it. But for maybe $10, why not?

But no way in hell I’d try that with my existing sight.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Don't know if the rear sights are interchangeable, but they sure look like the same thing on my M57 compared to a TT33.

Attachments

• M57 & TT33 Sights 01 Capture.jpg
      M57 & TT33 Sights 01 Capture.jpg
      33.9 KB · Views: 292
    • M57 & TT33 Sights 02 Capture.jpg
      M57 & TT33 Sights 02 Capture.jpg
      27.5 KB · Views: 298

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Also out of curiosity if anyone has calipers handy, would you mind measuring the sight height? I haven’t found any dimensions out there but it seems like they are “grind to zero”. My front sight is already a nub. My rear sight is pretty tall, but I’d imagine there are taller rear sights out there. Just kind of curious to compare the height of mine to any others out there.

Also thanks for checking! It makes me a bit more comfortable that if I can’t track an M57 sight down a TT-33 would probably work (possibly with slight modifications).

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Rough measurements from a Polish and a Bulgarian TT33.
    overall height ~0.33"
    height above slide ~.26"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Interestingly mine measures almost exactly .3” height over slide and .4” overall. And certainly isn’t nearly tall enough. Without much scientific figuring, it looks like it probably needs about another .1” to get me roughly zeroed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Reading up on it, I don’t know if this is something that could be causing it, but my barrel bushing seems loose. Like I can insert it, twist it and it has easily several hundredths of an inch wiggle. Easy enough for me by finger to bottom it out and then raise it up and it certainly is a degree or degree and a half off from bottomed to topped out.

Could that be it? The bushing is too small and spring tension is causing it to be twisted downward? Need a new bushing? I can see how that would impact groups sizes (mine are not good, but not sure how much of that is not being able to get a decent sight picture).

I saw someone recommend putting a few layers of Teflon tape on the bushing tonget it snug, then taking it off, inserting the barrel and putting it all back together.

Something to try certainly.

Thoughts? The gun itself has very little wear on it, but that doesn’t mean that the bushing is from the gun (all serialized parts match), or that it wasn’t a bad bushing to begin with.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess I’ll start by wrapping the bushing to get it tight and see what that does to POI. I can always make a split sleeve (probably try to make it out of PVC or something) and/or order a new one bushing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom