• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yep, and that's where the whole California registration scheme gets entertained. That's the only method of compliance. The next question is when the firearm was produced, and I mean pre 2013. Now all of a sudden the MSP will be registering a whole bunch of AR15's that were not previously on the books, could you imagine the press? Plus the Fiscal Note for all of this? Something tells me they will think very carefully about this.

What press would it actually receive? Do you think the press would actually put the number of home made AR-15 rifles out there for all to see. Even if you did a Maryland PIA request and obtained the information from the MSP and the number is huge, how would you alert the majority of Marylanders about that number?

I like to play devil's advocate when I am not working.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    A fair point. But more to alert the abiding masses of how ineffective gun legislation really is with regards to the true count of the evil rifles. I personally think that the high command would rather see the whole thing swept under a rug. But I certainly could be wrong. It will be very interesting to see what scheme they concoct. But I am fairly certain that the bill will not pass as is.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    A fair point. But more to alert the abiding masses of how ineffective gun legislation really is with regards to the true count of the evil rifles. I personally think that the high command would rather see the whole thing swept under a rug. But I certainly could be wrong. It will be very interesting to see what scheme they concoct. But I am fairly certain that the bill will not pass as is.

30 seocnds one day on half the news outlets.

With the MGA, there is no way to guess what will pass and what will not. Apparently you haven't looked closely at what we already have. Logic? Obviousness? Cost analysis based? MGA never bases their votes on these parameters.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    I think this is different. For FSA 2013 it was O'Malley's personal pet project, hell or high water the thing was going to pass. We will see this time.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    AND remember, when you sell a homebuilt, with a serial number (and though this is legal in limited scope), you have become the 1st point of sale. You will need to put your name and address on the firearm and keep a record of sale. I know this might be debated but otherwise there is no point to serialization at all if the number is meaningless. It has to come back to someone.

No such requirement anywhere in 18 USC 922, or BATFE regulations concerning personal built firearms. No serial number required either, per ATF to provide a seriel number if you want to sell a homebuilt firearm.

lennyk

Jan 11, 2013
    Woodbine
    I did not know that, I was always under the impression that the item needs to be serialized to facilitate transfer. I assume this is FF sale? An out of state transfer would always require an FFL and they will not touch with serialization. Am I wrong on this?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I did not know that, I was always under the impression that the item needs to be serialized to facilitate transfer. I assume this is FF sale?
    Applies to any sale.

An out of state transfer would always require an FFL and they will not touch with serialization. Am I wrong on this?

While yes, an out of state transfer requires an FFL for all firearms, you are incorrect on needing a serial number to do so. FFLs routinely handle transactions of non serialized firearms produced before 1968. ATF guidance for a such a sale or transfer is to put NSN in the SN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom