• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've moved on from "shoot the bullseye" targets (except for zeroing) to more interesting stuff. My go-to targets right now are the Arma Dynamics targets, but I am also looking for suggestions for other skill-oriented targets. Preferably I'd like to be able to print them on a single sheet of paper for logistics reasons. Anyone have suggestions?

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I don’t have links, but I’ve printed out a handful from the pistol training forum, as well as Lucky Gunner’s shoot better series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Any recommendations for steel targets? I think I'd rather haul a few steel targets to the range than all the crap I dread throwing in the car. Cardboard, paper, staples, pasters, staple gun, dozen furring strips, anchors, etc... Seems like a money saver in the long run too. Want to be safe however.

kbuddy

Jun 20, 2008
    Calvert Co.
    I like the Defense Targets RST. If you’re in SoMD you are welcome to come look at it and put some rounds on it.
    Any recommendations for steel targets? I think I'd rather haul a few steel targets to the range than all the crap I dread throwing in the car. Cardboard, paper, staples, pasters, staple gun, dozen furring strips, anchors, etc... Seems like a money saver in the long run too. Want to be safe however.

filthyliberal

Apr 9, 2018
    I'll second the Lucky Gunner shooting better series. It's really helped me as a FNG a lot (and the drills are super fun.)

I'll have to check the T. Rex ones linked above - thanks for putting those out!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Free paint sample cards from Home Depot or Lowes, some spray adhesive, and old cardboard. I don't buy targets anymore.

Attachments

• blank.jpg
      blank.jpg
      148.7 KB · Views: 193
    • shot.jpg
      shot.jpg
      77.8 KB · Views: 186

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Modern art for men. The gun being the paintbrush. Nice shooting helps.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Also paying attention to your scope when trying to zero your 10/22 takedown and not getting it to zero after 100 or so rounds. :D

Note to self: When the reticle is sideways, that might mean the scope is rotating loose and you cannot correct it by simply rotating the rifle to the left or right. LMAO

This was after about 500 pistol rounds, then shooting into the sun fcking around with the rifle. Next time I'll start out fresh sighting the rifle FIRST, then playing pistolero. :thumbsup:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Also paying attention to your scope when trying to zero your 10/22 takedown and not getting it to zero after 100 or so rounds. :D

Note to self: When the reticle is sideways, that might mean the scope is rotating loose and you cannot correct it by simply rotating the rifle to the left or right. LMAO

This was after about 500 pistol rounds, then shooting into the sun fcking around with the rifle. Next time I'll start out fresh sighting the rifle FIRST, then playing pistolero.

Lol, so you are human when it comes to shooting related matters. Yeah, 500 rounds also had to pay a toll on your steadiness.

As an aside, 10/22 Takedown scopes are also hard to keep at zero if on the receiver, because there's a bit of play that can increase overtime with the barrel end. Many of the folks at RimfireCentral that mount optics on the 10/22 Takedown are doing scout scope type of things securing them to the front half. I've just ended up putting an inexpensive Bushnell red dot on mine (4 moa dot maybe?) as I've decided to treat my Takedown as a rifle that's only somewhat precise within 50 yards.

On the other hand, with the wife getting unexpected time off on Sunday, I was able to get to the range as well as on Sunday late afternoon (light was beautiful with the leaves) to shoot a CZ 512 semiautomatic (the CZ equivalent to the 10/22) in 22 Mag. Below was my 100 yard target with Hornady V-Max (0.74 inch vertical spread). Need to slightly adjust the zero, but not bad for a 10 shot group.
    55377ac07e31fa7689f782fc88ded5a6.jpg
    30830d9f3197fbccf1adc70d55eda268.jpg

472a5591c8c331206f1cc26c5dda8002.jpg

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    What software do you use for the report?
    Range Buddy on Android. The unpaid version. There's a bit of a learning curve, which one guesses though trial and error (the green dot on the screen is the mouse cursor, and multifunctional for placing things as well as laying the two red Xs to measure the distance between two reference points). Seems to be fine for basic analysis, and I was able to analyze pictures of targets that I've already taken, which is a big convenience. I would love a similar app that would give me the average with standard deviation of all the pairwise combination of shots in a group.
    0f7ea59bef3b97fedada41ce140aa63d.jpg
    af3cf5979edb6a815dc6d8e18ca27f42.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

JimNorth

May 4, 2018
    The Cloud
    Range Buddy on Android. The unpaid version. There's a bit of a learning curve ...

Thanks. I spent some time with it and got it to generate results that looked reasonable. My first impression is that it's useful but nonintuitive and labor-intensive. I found a help page here: http://rangebuddyhelp.appspot.com/.

Google Play has some suggestions for related apps. One of these days I'll look into them.

Back to you, OP. Sorry for the digression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom