• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john_bud

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    You're probably right, I was just hoping that there was some break thru and they could process mine right away! :)

I have a real "need" for a TT33 ....

steve.laur

Oct 29, 2009
    Form 7CR question

I'm completing my application for a class 3 federal firearms license and am at the part where I must initial 4 boxes. They basically say that I'm not violating any state laws by getting this license.

Are there any forms, applications, requirements, etc., that the state of Maryland requires before I can initial those boxes? As a novice shooter and hope-to-become collector, any help would be greatly appreciated by me - thanks!

Steve

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    I'm completing my application for a class 3 federal firearms license and am at the part where I must initial 4 boxes. They basically say that I'm not violating any state laws by getting this license.

Are there any forms, applications, requirements, etc., that the state of Maryland requires before I can initial those boxes? As a novice shooter and hope-to-become collector, any help would be greatly appreciated by me - thanks!

Steve

Nope.....You are only required to give a copy to your CLEO after filling out your application.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Steve
    Just for clarification and not to nitpick because most of us make this mistake on occasion (like myself), but it is not a class 3 license, but a Type 03 license. A Class III license usually denotes NFA dealer's license and that is where the confusion may occur.

I am pretty sure the only state law anyone filing that form out would have to worry about is any person with a criminal conviction who is a prohibitted person under state law for regulated firearms but not under fed law for firearms generally, but this is such a rare situation that I seriously doubt you or much of anyone else who applies for one on this board will have to worry about this.

Shadow68

May 4, 2009
    AA Co.
    Thanks all for the quick and informative replies. I'm mailing the application today!

Steve
    Hi Steve,
    I wanted to try and catch you before you send it off, just in case you'd read the thread here about my attempt to speed up the process by sending the application directly to the examiner in WV.
    Do Not send it to WV - send it to the address on the form in GA.

Forum member t0tln00b did some recon and found out why it should be sent to GA..

So my CC still hasn't been charged - so called the ATF (number found here http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=24630 thanks tons to whoever posted that!!)
    Spoke to Mary, who was very helpful. She couldn't find my application so she asked what state I lived; Mr. Powell apparently processes all MD licenses. Then she asked where I sent it. When I told her the WV address, she transferred me to Mr. Powell himself! He was great - found my app. But then he told me that the CC would be processed at the GA address; so even if you send to WV, it has to be sent to GA to be processed. So sending to WV is definitely :tdown: - but now we know why! Sending Attn: Mr. Powell probably wouldn't help as the first step is having GA process the CC charge, then send it to Mr. Powell for processing.
    I have to say, dealing with the ATF was actually a non-painful experience, which is way different than most other gov't agencies!

Good luck - I hope you get a speedy turnaround!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    A couple questions that I don't see answers to in this thread:

First, if I import an C&R pistol into MD, do I need to fill out State Police paperwork, the way I do when I buy from a MD FFL? Do I have any obligations to the state that require paperwork?

Second, if I'm buying a C&R pistol from out of state, am I treated the same as a regular FFL holder, who as I understand it can get things thru the US mail, or does the seller have to ship UPS? Does it matter if the seller holds an FFL or is a non-licensed person?

Regarding purchases from unlicensed out-of-state individuals, how much of a problem is it to convince them that sending me a firearm is kosher? Do I send them a copy of my license, ubnsigned, as mentioned above? (This is not so much a legal procedural question; more of a "what's your experience been with this issue?" sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for the replies. I've just got my paperwork from ATF and am steeling myself to face the formidable forms.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    A couple questions that I don't see answers to in this thread:

First, if I import an C&R pistol into MD, do I need to fill out State Police paperwork, the way I do when I buy from a MD FFL? Do I have any obligations to the state that require paperwork?

If you call tyhe MDSP firearms licensing and registration division they will tell you no.

Second, if I'm buying a C&R pistol from out of state, am I treated the same as a regular FFL holder, who as I understand it can get things thru the US mail, or does the seller have to ship UPS? Does it matter if the seller holds an FFL or is a non-licensed person?
    No USPS for handguns. Private carrier only.

Regarding purchases from unlicensed out-of-state individuals, how much of a problem is it to convince them that sending me a firearm is kosher? Do I send them a copy of my license, ubnsigned, as mentioned above? (This is not so much a legal procedural question; more of a "what's your experience been with this issue?" sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for the replies. I've just got my paperwork from ATF and am steeling myself to face the formidable forms
    . I asked the ATF investigators at one of the MD gun shows at a booth they had about this and they said that aslthough C&R FFLs cannot be checked out on the online FFL EZ Check, someone can call the ATF direct and ask them to check to make sure the C&R license is valid.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thanks, Novus. I'm pleased to read about the phone check. It would probably ease the concerns of nervous private sellers by giving the transaction a govt seal of approval.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Thanks, Novus. I'm pleased to read about the phone check. It would probably ease the concerns of nervous private sellers by giving the transaction a govt seal of approval.

Yeah, I wish I knew about it when a guy selling a broomhandle Mauser on Gunbroker for a fraction of what they go for refused to ship to C&R FFLs because we thought there was no way to check just a month or so before I learned otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom