• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    Has anybody used the Blackhorn 209 powder? If so, did you find it to be cleaner than other powders and accurate?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I use Pyrodex RS and P grade loose powders. Most guys use the pellets. I've never used either of the two, but, from what my buddies tell me about the Blackhorn, they don't see any difference between it and the Pyrodex. Powder is powder, it's extremely corrosive regardless, and in my opinion it does not make cleaning your muzzleloader extremely well after every trip any less important.

I assume you're looking at "accurate" from the point of powder, not the shooter. As far as accurate, I'm not sure I would blame accuracy on the power if is measured properly. Given the fact that powder grains are not the same size, you have to make the ingredient measurement process more accurate, sort of like baking a cake, do you use packed flour or loose flour. Most professional cake makers will "tap" the measuring cup on the counter for a more accurate dry ingredient measurement, thus making the future cakes consistent. If you use loose flour, your next cake might flop, be higher, or lower then the last cake. Think about this and this you'll understand the science of being high and low on a target.

The trick is to pour the power in your measure to the point of your desired grain amount and then tap the rim of the powder measure a few times and then top off until you have reached your specific grain amount. The powder in commercial Shotshells for example is packed, not just loose, so in order to obtain a reasonable degree of accurate powder measurement, you have to "tap" the powder measure to achieve an accurate grain amount.

dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    I've used pyrodex and 777 but in looking up loads for my new Accura, I ran across a load using Blackhorn. Most of the reviews have been very good. There website says it noncorrosive also:

"As the ONLY noncorrosive muzzleloading powder, Blackhorn 209 is engineered to eliminate swabbing and cleaning between shots. Precise accuracy, higher velocities and ease of use ensure Blackhorn 209 will bring out the best in your muzzleloading rifle."

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have no experience with the Blackhorn, but, my suggestion would be, if you need powder, go ahead and buy the Blackhorn, if you have powder, just use what you have, I of course don't see the need to have more powder laying around than you need at the time. I have used the Triple 7 and again I didn't see anything different about it versus the Pyrodex, except the price.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    I found the BH to be cleaner, but not more accurate. My best accuracy still comes from using Pyro RS, but each gun is different. Try it if you want to; no harm in it.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I use blackhorn 209 out of my encore pistol 209x50 barrels.
    I was using 90 grs of Goex black powder before I switched. I am still using 90 grs of powder and gettign about the same point of impact as i was with the goex.

It is not totaly non corssive but it is a lot less then anything else on the market. Last year I shot a doe opening day of early Ml season and didnt clean my pistol until the last night. I found a very little rust but that was right at the mouth of the muzzle and I think it was more from hunting in wet conditions and not from the powder. I repeated the same thing several time last hunting season and didnt get any real rust in the barrel and every deer I shot went down.

When hunting I found it didnt smoke as bad as the goex but still smoked. it is a lot cleaner burning then any of the other ML powders I havetried

The down side of it is the price, I found it on sale and bought several 10 ox bottles of it all with the same lot number,

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    just use what you have, I of course don't see the need to have more powder laying around than you need at the time..

I agree and dis agree with this statment. with the MD powder regulations it is hard to keep a small stock of powder on hand.

But there are reasons to buy and stock powders, It is normaly cheaper if you buy in bulk, every lot of powder is a little diffrent so if you stock up on powder with the same lot number you will have no diffrence. it is good to have extra for emergencys, when I first started hunting with ML I was at the range right before ML season and I knocked over my powder and spilled all I had. when I went to try and fins some more everyone was out of stock so I was SOL, I was lucky a friend gave me a little of his so I could hunt until I got some more, If I had a few extra bottles I would have been fine.

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    I have used it in my encore ml pistols(.50 and .45) with excellent results.
    I have also used every powder on the market except white hots. I used black mag3 for several years and 777.

I prefer bh 209 for several reasons- clean accurate, very little smell and no crud ring and finally i have allergies and it and blackmag3 are far superior in non irritation of nasal passages.

Blackmag3 is not available or scarce due to explosion in their plant. I liked it a lot.

Here is a link to a 5 part evaluation -
    Comparing Today's Hotter Black Powder Substitutes at North American ML Hunting website. I pretty much have these same conclusions.

http://namlhunt.homestead.com/MLpowders5.html

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I agree and dis agree with this statment. with the MD powder regulations it is hard to keep a small stock of powder on hand.

But there are reasons to buy and stock powders, It is normaly cheaper if you buy in bulk, every lot of powder is a little diffrent so if you stock up on powder with the same lot number you will have no diffrence. it is good to have extra for emergencys, when I first started hunting with ML I was at the range right before ML season and I knocked over my powder and spilled all I had. when I went to try and fins some more everyone was out of stock so I was SOL, I was lucky a friend gave me a little of his so I could hunt until I got some more, If I had a few extra bottles I would have been fine.

I understand your position. I have a 1 pound jar of Pyrodex RS that lasted me for 7 years. I have a 4 year old jar of Triple 7 that replaced the Pyrodex RS when that ran out. I have a jar Pyrodex P that is hitting the 8 year mark. This is with hunting seasons and target shooting, sighting in and squirrel hunting. I guess it just depends on how often you shoot a muzzleloader which would justify your reply. I'm in full understanding of your reason for stocking up.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have a few muzzle loaders
    1- blue encore 15" 209x50 pistol
    1- silver encore 15" 209x50 pistol
    1- blue 26" encore 209x50 rifle
    1- knight LK93 but this is the one with #11 caps. I can't use the blackhorn powder in it so I have to keep a small stock of black powder on hand for it

If the OP or anyone for that matter wants to meet me at myrtle grove I will bring some Blackhorn , and a few other powders I have left over a ML or 2 down so they can try.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I have a few muzzle loaders
    1- blue encore 15" 209x50 pistol
    1- silver encore 15" 209x50 pistol
    1- blue 26" encore 209x50 rifle
    1- knight LK93 but this is the one with #11 caps. I can't use the blackhorn powder in it so I have to keep a small stock of black powder on hand for it

If the OP or anyone for that matter wants to meet me at myrtle grove I will bring some Blackhorn , and a few other powders I have left over a ML or 2 down so they can try.

Dang it, I only have 9 muzzleloaders. Only 2 with 209 the rest are 11 caps, must sell a few. LOL

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I have a brick of #11 caps for the knight and the thing hasnt been shot in a few years. The 2 encore pistol barrels are my main hunting barrels so they get shot a lot. Last year I went tough almost a full bottle of the blackhorn.
    and fell in love with it, and my wife likes ot better becasue it doesnt smell as bad.

I like the #11 caps as much as I like teh 209 caps they both have a place for hunting. the blackhorn is more a special nitch in the hunting world and at the price I think when my stock is gone I will not be replacing it even though I love it

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I like the #11 caps as much as I like teh 209 caps they both have a place for hunting.

I sorta feel the same way regarding the caps / primers. I don't see any real major differences between the 11 and 209. They both serve the same purpose and and they are both highly reliable. The both cost about the same. I've never had a bad primer or cap. I do like the idea of the super compact 11 cappers that can hold 15 where the 209 are bulky to me. I don't feel like I'm fumbling with 11 caps, whereas the 209s I am constantly worrying about dropping the things all the time nd I have never had a 209 "fit" in a breech plug as tight as I would prefer. I have not found a 209 capper that I like to date, but, I have several of the brass CVA inline cappers for 11.

I have also not seen any difference in speed of ignition between the 209 and 11. I pull the trigger and both go boom instantly. I have a Traditions 209 on my Pursuit and I would actually quite happy to have a #11 Cap Conversion Kit for it LOL. I ahte the extra headache of having to worry about making sure I have the right primers or caps in my pocket, so, I pretty much own 2 of everything so, I keep two small camera cases with speed loaders and bullets, one with #11 caps and another case with 209.

As for the Black Horn versus my old faithful Pyrodex RS, I'll take the Pyrodex RS, or Triple 7, whatever is in stock at the time, it doesn't matter to me. I just don't see paying the additional for the Black Horn when the cheaper stuff has been around for years and has always been super reliable, you have to clean your gun thoroughly anyway.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    the tripple 7 is known for being very dirty and leaving a crud ring around the breach plug and makes it hard to seat a 2 nd shot.

The blackhorn has no crud ring and is a lot easy to clean up after being shot. with about 1/2 for the fowling left in the barrel after a shot.

One thing the 209 primers can do that the #11 wont, they will send a maxi hunter bullet out of the 15" barrel encore fast enough to shoot it over 30 yards with enough energy to put a big dint in a 2x4.

Before I load my hunting rounds I always fire a few caps off with rifles I always shove a cleaning patch down to the breach and shoot it out. the patch showes burn marks so I know the path is clear and I like shooting the maxi hunters out fo the pistol just because it is funand does the same thing as the patch.

jbmabrey

Jan 27, 2008
    Wilmington, De.
    Since responding to this thread earlier I have shot my guns(encore 45 and 50 handguns) 3 times. approximately 15 rounds each, each time.

I did not clean between shots nor between sessions. In the middel of the 3rd session ran a spit patch down each barrel, turned it over and finished cleaning. Very light soot and no visible difference in accuracy.

This is how I use BH 209-very much like smokeless in my savage.

Here are links to other people who have tested and used BH 209-almost all have positive comments

http://www.realtree.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78206

Randy Wakeman states "As this is written, Western Powders' Blackhorn 209 is the best of the blackpowder replacement propellants available. It has been the most successful new product Western Powders has ever released. Virtually non-corrosive, no swabbing between shots, excellent velocities and superb accuracy. It won't stick or freeze a breechplug, and clean-up is two patches soaked with Hoppe's No. 9. It also has an indefinite shelf life."
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/blackpowder_roundup_2010.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom