• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dlharsh

Feb 13, 2010
    Windsor Mill
    I've been using the brown mineral salt blocks as my father-in-law convinced me a long time ago they were better. Recently I've seen a lot of photos from game cameras with white blocks. Anybody have a preference and why?

Diesel Kinevel

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Frederick, MD
    For a lick location on my property I hunt I just use 50 lb white salt blocks from TSC. I usually put out one per year. It turns into a mud pit where its located b/c the deer paw up the ground. Having said that I usually only put out blocks early/mid summer as this is the time when the most nutrition is needed for antler growth. This time of year they are foraging on acorns, corn, soy beans etc...

-Z

sparkymon

Feb 26, 2010
    Been using the brown trace mineral licks for years and the deer love em. I always put a little buck jam (apple) on top when I first put them out. By the end of the season, the deer are digging a hole where the blocks use to be trying to get more. They cost about $6 from Tractor Supply or about $9 from The Mill. I also have had the same results using the trophy mineral rocks from Bass Pro, same results just more money, they usually go for around $15 per rock.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    The white blocks are good for general attractant. The mineral blocks are thought to enhance antler growth to make a big rack, but, the mineral block has to be fed over the course of years and still does very little. If you are trying to free range feed mineral salt for antler growth, then you need to use loose, granular mineral salt in large quantities, otherwise it is not benefiting the bucks at all. Feeding mineral salt after September is a complete waste of time since they have already produced the antlers they will produce this year, but,, continued for the next season will improve antler growth, providing the deer come to it throughout the year. Deer salt blocks are of no value really to be honest for baiting, this is why I have always used corn/sugar blocks, squirrels make more use of the salt then the deer do.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    take a 10# bag of sugar then get some good quality apple juice and pour it in. it will harden in a day or so. the deer tear it up. lasts a few weeks and you only have 5$ or less in the whole thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom