Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Optics
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old June 7th, 2018, 09:46 PM #1

Entry level long range scope

Picking up a DD5 Ambush 308 tomorrow and looking to get a scope for it. Never shot much more than 300 yards so 3-9's have been my go to. Would like to try to reach out to 600 or so yards. Looking for something around $500 to get me started so I can figure out what I actually like. Would eventually like to get out to 1000 yards so a scope with a decent reticle that can help me learn the basics of long range shooting would be nice. What do you guys recommend?
S.M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 10:12 PM #2

You can’t beat a Millett 6x25x56mm. I have one on my Ruger Precision rifle and love it!!! Great quality for around $400-$500

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/lrs/
k9guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 02:12 AM #3

Milletts seem to be either quite good, or horribly bad. From scope to scope, not just model to model.

Personally, I would step up to a Vortex Viper PST. Good scope, works well out to 1000+ (I have made shots at 1200 yards with my .308 bolt).

In optics especially, Buy Once, Cry Once.

Buy something decent to start, otherwise you will spend more buying several times.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:17 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Milletts seem to be either quite good, or horribly bad. From scope to scope, not just model to model.

Personally, I would step up to a Vortex Viper PST. Good scope, works well out to 1000+ (I have made shots at 1200 yards with my .308 bolt).

Buy something decent to start, otherwise you will spend more buying several times.
This. Or check out the Athlon Argos if 500 is really your limit. They make nice scopes for the money.
ClutchyMcClutcherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:42 AM #5

So many choices for a reticle. Worried about spending big once and finding out I would of preferred something else. Guess I need to research the reticles available on the vortex before I drop the additional money.
S.M.I.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:46 AM #6

I put one of these on my Ruger American Predator in 6.5 CM. With a 20 MOA base it should have enough adjustment to get you out past 1200 yards. Although I have not shot mine at distance so far so good and it comes with the VORTEX no questions asked warranty. I paid $269 shipped.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-vmr-1-reticle

I also picked up the sunshade for this scope.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...scope-sunshade

Here is a good video explaining what a 20 MOA base does to extend the adjustment of the scope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwl9rzASOfU

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by Mini14tac; June 8th, 2018 at 10:07 AM.
Mini14tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 06:56 AM #7

I’m a big Vortex PST gen2 fan, I own the 5-25, but if $500 is your budget the Athlon Midas Tac 6-24 is the best scope you will get for the money. 13% off at Optics Planet using code “RIFLE13”
$548.09 shipped.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/athlon-...mil-retic.html

Discussion on Snipers Hide:
http://forum.snipershide.com/threads...c-yet.6889094/
MSI member
Meade Rod & Gun Club member
Meade Rifle & Pistol Club member

Last edited by INMY01TA; June 8th, 2018 at 10:33 AM.
INMY01TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 08:37 AM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post

Pinecone is exactly right. Careful consideration now (and maybe stretching your budget) will save you frustration and spending more in the long run.

Something to consider, in budget scopes you get what you pay for. If it's a scope in the $500 or below range with side parralax adjustment, variable power, illuminated reticle, "tactical" turrets and other such features, they're making up for it with cheaper construction and lower quality glass.

If you're looking to shoot at the distances you've said, you want good glass more than anything. Cheaper glass that has lots of magnification with crappy resolution and light gathering won't help you at distance as much as glass that is clear and bright but lower magnification.

USMC snipers are generally considered the best (or at least among the best) tactical shooters in the world, and for many many years they had a fixed 10X scope. The Unertl has great glass, so it worked.

If you're looking at below $800, my recommendation would be to get a good fixed power scope with great glass. Not the only option, but one to consider. I have one on an M1A that I'm more than happy with.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-10x42-ta...iflescope.html

If you're willing to pay double that...I have this scope on a Remington 700P and it's great. Bombproof and fantastic glass. It's not a S&B or Hensoldt, but then again it's less than 1/2 the price.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-...iflescope.html

Sadly...shooting in general, and long range shooting in particular ain't a cheap hobby.
Major03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 08:39 AM #9

Here is another option being you are spending quite a bit on the rifle. These are within reason, what ever that is?

http://sightronusa.com/siiiss624x50lr-series/

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution." -Thomas Jefferson

"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" -Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
Mini14tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 08:46 AM #10

One other thought, whether you decide to get your reticle in Mils or MOA, just make sure that your turret adjustments match the reticle. Saves some math when you're making corrections.
Major03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Optics