• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    As the previous owner of a 20' pontoon boat......Ever been to the Ocean City Boat Show and seen the door prize (20' Sweetwater Pontoon W/35hp Merc outboard)? I have, been there, did that, and it cost me almost $2500 to get it in the water, No Trailer, No Safety Package, etc. But, to your original question, towing insurance is a necessary evil.

Now, as to the pontoon boat....

Mine had an oil injector system, tank was mounted on stern platform and was notorious for taking on water (open venting) and injecting it into the fuel stream (did someone mention bad fuel and towing????). Wasn't long before that system got bypassed and I used premixed fuel, no more problems.

Maneuvering is some what like a water borne tank, especially in the wind. Got caught in a blow in the bay behind OC and it was a challenge keeping it upright (wind gets between the pontoons and uses the underside of the deck as a sail) and in a straight line. I was watching the weather and this came out of nowhere, lots of damage in OC. Went from cloudless blue bird day to hurricane force winds in less than ten minutes, and was between me (near RT.90 bridge) and port (Fenwick Island)

Now, it was a great stable, fishing platform for the back bays of OC, and would handle multiple people easily, I loved it, but it did have it's quirks.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I bought a sea tow membership 5 years ago after running out of gas about .5 miles from the ramp. Cost me around $300. Towing a boat is expensive and $1000 of coverage doesn't go very far. Join boat US or sea tow. Money well spent.

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Station Keeping 101

Something cool I learned from a US Coast Guardsman who was teaching one of the classes I took back in the day, and I still use to this day. Works on power and sail boats:

If you want to hold your position and there's any kind of a breeze, put the motor in reverse at idle and let the bow swing around down wind. The boat will act like a wind vane, but you won't go crazy trying to steer into the wind, and it works like a charm for pretty much any single engine boat. Probably not so good for dual engines, though. And it doesn't work if the waves and swells are too high and your propeller pops out of the water.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I bought a sea tow membership 5 years ago after running out of gas about .5 miles from the ramp. Cost me around $300. Towing a boat is expensive and $1000 of coverage doesn't go very far. Join boat US or sea tow. Money well spent.

A cynic would say that if you put $179/year into a savings account, by now you would have $895 sitting around ready to cover the next tow. Depending on how far into the bay you usually venture with your boat, that's probably going to cover most short tows back to a marina. If you are one of those hardcore guys who heads out at 3am for multi-hour runs to some wreck, then then 895 is not gonna do much if your motor ever pukes. Its insurance, unless you have to make use of it, its money 'wasted'.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    You can get a liability policy from BoatUS, through geico, for about $130. It includes personal injury, medical expenses, salvage, and ‘unlimited’ towing. Although I think the unlimited part is really a $3000/tow max.
    It’s really a pretty good deal.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Insure through BoatUS. They are owned by Geico. I insure my 2012- 23' Center Console with them. I am insured for an agreed upon value of $35,000 and includes unlimited towing for $280 per year! I just renewed a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom