• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is my setup so far. Except for the new belt and holster I've ordered. I like your belt setup, and I believe that could be one of the more important parts of anyone's setup that can make or break them over any gun in your kit. You've clearly practiced and modified multiple times to achieve your current setup. The 20rd pmag is a good idea for prone and something I wouldn't have considered.

The AR is an armalite I've had for many years.

I bought a vortex optic for it, but then sold it to a friend for his 3gun AR since he had a flattop and wasn't sure I wanted to run optics on top of a carry handle.

My thoughts for now are get optics for it again, run it and then build a new upper for it or one of my other lowers.

That is a solid plan, your gear is better than most that start out. The belt is indeed critical, especially the shell caddy setup, shotgun loading is one skill that can shave or add a ton of time to a run. Stages vary so much that you pretty much have to swap gear, most of my stuff had tek-loks, being primarily blade tech, don't like Safariland's holsters and pouches as well, but their ELS system is awesome, clicks in and out easily, but the fixed positions do limit small adjustments. A lot of people are using the new TMMS blade tech peices with tek-loks, probably the best of both worlds, but the cost racks up fast with a tek-lok AND 2 TMMS peices per component. The old style vertical carriers are still great for slugs, but dual and quad loading is so much faster, they have taken over the majority of loading. You can set the belt up decent before your first match, but you are guaranteed to make adjustments to it often as you narrow down equipment that works best for you.

With the extended mags and 1301 you are fairly well set for practical/tac optics. For shorter range matches like Thurmont that rifle with a good muzzle brake and possibly a red dot co witnessed to the sights would be fine. Ultimately there are so many differences between a competition and a defensive rifle, you are best off building one up like you plan to do. The main thing is recoil control vs reliability. In a defensive rifle, you want plenty of gas to push a heavy carrier/buffer at the correct speed with enough force to plow through dirt or fouling, a flash hider or mild brake to primarily reduce flash, and maybe compensate for barrel rise, with minimal side blast. Competition rifles are set up to have impossibly light recoil, and as little muzzle movement as possible. This comes from a really light carrier/buffer, and adjustable gas to reduce reciprocating mass, reduce secondary recoil(from the carrier hitting the end of the tube, reduce muzzle shift, reduce overall weight, and speed up the cycle time while reducing the gas force required to cycle it. You want an effective brake/comp , might even modify it with a couple extra holes or clocking it off center to best reduce recoil, and correct for unwanted muzzle movement. oversized controls, a fast and predictible trigger and decent optic round out the build

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Vortex is coming out with a Viper 1-6 to fill the gap between the budget Strike Eagle and the Razor...... pretty sure it's gonna be a winner for the $700ish msrp. Hopefully it winds up in the low 600's

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Vortex is coming out with a Viper 1-6 to fill the gap between the budget Strike Eagle and the Razor...... pretty sure it's gonna be a winner for the $700ish msrp. Hopefully it winds up in the low 600's

Been waiting patiently to check one out in the wild, been looking into an upgrade, the new viper and the Trij TR25 being at the top of my list. The Razor is a tank at 25oz, but the optics are awesome. The old Viper has a cluttered reticle, illumination control right in the way, but decent optics. The Strike Eagle is light, great reticle for shooting fast, quick and easy to use, but the image is mediocre, about what you would expect for the price, some edge distortion, loss of contrast at high magnification, and a bit of fish bowl.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    Been waiting patiently to check one out in the wild, been looking into an upgrade, the new viper and the Trij TR25 being at the top of my list. The Razor is a tank at 25oz, but the optics are awesome. The old Viper has a cluttered reticle, illumination control right in the way, but decent optics. The Strike Eagle is light, great reticle for shooting fast, quick and easy to use, but the image is mediocre, about what you would expect for the price, some edge distortion, loss of contrast at high magnification, and a bit of fish bowl.
    I have a razor 1-6 and it's a tank like you said. I couldn't justify the extra $1000 to save the 10oz on the swaro...... I just put together a lightweight 16" gun together for York this year.....I'm gonna try to use my primary arms 1-6 I started with but it makes my eyes all ouchy compared to the razor

Attachments

• IMG_4628.jpg
      IMG_4628.jpg
      65.9 KB · Views: 231
    • IMG_4629.jpg
      IMG_4629.jpg
      52.4 KB · Views: 230

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a razor 1-6 and it's a tank like you said. I couldn't justify the extra $1000 to save the 10oz on the swaro...... I just put together a lightweight 16" gun together for York this year.....I'm gonna try to use my primary arms 1-6 I started with but it makes my eyes all ouchy compared to the razor

Wow thats impressive, sweet rifle, should be perfect. Tried to keep the weight on my 18" Mega reasonable, came in at 9#, shot a match in Thurmont with my 14.5" defensive AR topped with an EoTech around 7.5 lbs and it was nice that it pointed quicker, and less tiring, just wasn't really set up for 3 gun with a flash hider and full gas/heavy carrier/buffer. Been wanting to do a lightweight 16" with a reflex or Aimpoint for the matches around here under 100 yards. I'm hooked, would love to upgrade some of my gear, but with small kids the fun budget and time are limited, but all in due time.

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    This is my current set up. Benelli M2 with 12 rnd. tube. 18" JP upper/Lancer lower/Hiperfire trigger/Leupold Mk6 1-6/AP Arms carbon fiber handguard.
    SVI Infinity.

Attachments

• DSC03428.jpg
      DSC03428.jpg
      55.1 KB · Views: 221

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is my current set up. Benelli M2 with 12 rnd. tube. 18" JP upper/Lancer lower/Hiperfire trigger/Leupold Mk6 1-6/AP Arms carbon fiber handguard.
    SVI Infinity.

Sweet, recognize some of the gear, think I've unknowingly squadded with you in the past, you take 5th place at the November TCSC match?

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    SVI Infinity.

Awesome setup!

I like the shotgun chest rig, Bronco Lou and I have discussed those over als belt attached shotgun racks.

Care to dive into your decision to go that route over the belt? More rounds, better comfort, speed?

pauln

WECSOG Alumnus
    Mar 2, 2007
    Harford Co.
    Sweet, recognize some of the gear, think I've unknowingly squadded with you in the past, you take 5th place at the November TCSC match?

Yes. A couple mistakes probably cost me a few positions in the final results.

Awesome setup!

I like the shotgun chest rig, Bronco Lou and I have discussed those over als belt attached shotgun racks.

Care to dive into your decision to go that route over the belt? More rounds, better comfort, speed?

I do weak hand reloads and it's a shorter distance from the chest caddy to the gun, the ability to spin it around when going prone and the ability to carry more ammo. 1 rig holds 26 rounds and the other holds 32.

silasvirus82

Dam Builder
    Dec 4, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Here's what I'm running:

AR - Rainier RUC Mod 2 w/SWFA SS 1-6x24
    Shotgun - Remington Versamax Tactical
    Pistol - STI Eagle 9mm
    Carry Rig - Griffon belt & mag carrier, Carbon Arms quads, Blade-Tech holster & mag carrier

42fb509b80a8dfe4c634dd44c1784756.jpg

83ff32f12fc483df93315a660ec89477.jpg

Also, I'll point out there is a somewhat informal 3-gun shoot at Arlington this Sat. I'm planning to check it out.

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    Got everything from safari land, still playing with the location of everything, putting 4 rounds in each mag and then shooting and practicing mag changes.

Attachments

• IMG_5410.jpg
      IMG_5410.jpg
      76.4 KB · Views: 146
    • IMG_5411.jpg
      IMG_5411.jpg
      139.8 KB · Views: 151

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members