• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    This also brings up another issue that I never understood. Why does the dealer do the 4473 when they don't do the NICS check for a handgun?
    Because my Federal License requires it. ATF does not care per se what State requires. I need to meet both to do business legally in Maryland

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Shoot you're right. Slipped my mind that MSP does NICS for handguns.
    Private gun transfer does not require 4473 at Federal level.

State law requires 77r for transfer of State regulated weapons ( handguns). MSP doing 77r at barracks is in effect doing a private party gun transfer that meets state law. The state requires the expanded background check to include NICS. No requirement for MSP to complete 4473 as no Federal requirement for it. That would be my read on why MSP doesn't do 4473.

Takeaway, 4473 is Federal Requirement. 77r is State Requirement. Both are required when transferring or buying handgun in Maryland via FFL (where FFL enters weapon in his A&D book).

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, several people I have talked to say that the "not dissaproval" email is coming at exactly day 7 in the AM.
    As if they know your good but make you wait anyway. Anyone recently get a not dissaproved in < 7 days?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    so, several people I have talked to say that the "not dissaproval" email is coming at exactly day 7 in the AM.
    As if they know your good but make you wait anyway. Anyone recently get a not dissaproved in < 7 days?

They seem to send out the email at 6am on the 7th day for most people. I doubt anyone gets their email in less than 7 days because of the law. I doubt it actually takes them 7 days to do the background check, but since the law says 7 days, they're not going to send that email until the 7th day.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    They seem to send out the email at 6am on the 7th day for most people. I doubt anyone gets their email in less than 7 days because of the law. I doubt it actually takes them 7 days to do the background check, but since the law says 7 days, they're not going to send that email until the 7th day.

I'm certain it takes less than 7. When BassPro screwed up my 77r last summer BassPro told me they had already received my not disapproved and the ND email stated the release date to me to be 4 days later (basically doing the 8th day calculation for the seller).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you go into the system and "print" the 77r, you can see it was Not Disapproved well before the 7th day.

But the list of applications will not say this. You have to "print" the actual form.

The email goes out on the 7th day, just to keep the buyer from going to the store and saying, I got my Not Disapproved, so give me my pistol. And have the FFL have to explain the 7th day rule.

In the past, the FFL got the paperwork early, but the buyer did not know when it came in, so all all the buyer knew is the day the FFL told them to come pick up.

Gunsandbikes

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 12, 2017
    I was surprised how easy the online 77R was. I was skeptical at first and thought I would have to wait 8 days or more. I bought a lower receiver on a Sunday and was shocked that they don't count Sunday's anymore. I picked my lower up on a Sunday after getting the Email early Sunday morning.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't know why you have to insert your HQL every time you complete the applications. You would think that after 3 or 4, they'd self populate that field for you. They do the other stuff like your name, address and other "important" information.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    I was surprised how easy the online 77R was. I was skeptical at first and thought I would have to wait 8 days or more. I bought a lower receiver on a Sunday and was shocked that they don't count Sunday's anymore. I picked my lower up on a Sunday after getting the Email early Sunday morning.

I'm glad you found it so easy. Keep that in mind when you have to do it for long guns.:rolleyes:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

That is strange, as the old 77r specifically stated that the transfer could not occur on a Sunday or Holiday.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I don't know why you have to insert your HQL every time you complete the applications. You would think that after 3 or 4, they'd self populate that field for you. They do the other stuff like your name, address and other "important" information.

Yeah, I noticed that also.

Maybe it is so you do not misplace the card. :)

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i think he and the software are wrong. the law and COMAR didn't change.

AND...

Attachments

• banned.JPG
      banned.JPG
      9.5 KB · Views: 191

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I just did my first online 77r and am meeting the seller at the MSP barracks tomorrow. I did not see a place where I could pay the $10 online, so I am assuming it is still only payable by check at the barracks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom