• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    Thinking of getting an 16 in upper in 300 Blackout. Does it have to be a heavy barrel for post 2013 receivers? Thanks.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Are you sure it doesn’t need to be heavy barrel?

I’m looking at a complete BCM 300 Blackout upper for about $950 delivered. I’m just wondering if 300 Blackout is needed when I have 5.56 and .308 ARs. I’d match it to one of my Daniel Defense lowers.

Sorry for the hijack.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    OP, I think it has to do with the caliber.223/556, I don't think any others were mentioned in the law.

Double check this and enjoy!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    * Need * ? Shrug . Do you Want a .30 cal rifle on the AR-15 platform ? If so , a .300 is a viable and popular choice .

Unless you are in love with that particular BCM Upper , plenty of perfectly servicable choices for far less $$ .

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Don't bother with it unless you want to suppress it.

Even then you could probably suppress a 9mm carbine fine.

300 is best for being able to shoot suppressed subsonic and switch to full power supersonic loads if you want to

I ditched BCM. My .223 BCM has been 100% reliable for me over the years, so I have nothing bad to say. It's just Aero Precision makes a damn reliable upper now, for half the price.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I've wanted a .300 ever since J.D. Jones invented the Whisper . But FWIW, what I currently own is a 7.62x 39 upper .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OP, I think it has to do with the caliber.223/556, I don't think any others were mentioned in the law.

Double check this and enjoy!

Law does not specify the caliber for the AR. It does for other listings.

Personally, I would not build a .300 BO AR without a heavy barrel.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    * Need * ? Shrug . Do you Want a .30 cal rifle on the AR-15 platform ? If so , a .300 is a viable and popular choice .

Unless you are in love with that particular BCM Upper , plenty of perfectly servicable choices for far less $$ .

I know there are cheaper, but there are only a few brands that I would buy. BCM is one of those. When it comes to rifles and 1911s, I’m a bit of a snob and very anal. :-)

Like you wrote, I’m just questioning whether it is necessary. I have 5.56 and an AR-10 type, so does the 300 aac do anything that those two calibers don’t do? Unless I go hunting, I’m thinking I don’t need one.

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Like you wrote, I’m just questioning whether it is necessary. I have 5.56 and an AR-10 type, so does the 300 aac do anything that those two calibers don’t do? Unless I go hunting, I’m thinking I don’t need one.

Necessary? No. It's a .30 cal in a smaller package (complete powder burn in shorter barrel, so weight and added length from suppressor are less cumbersome). .308 has superior ballistics, at the cost of more weight. 5.56 is much cheaper (generally speaking).

If you're not looking to suppress, or at least go the SBR/AR pistol route, it's not a worthwhile investment in my book. Nutnfancy has a video to the effect of "300 blk: The best caliber you don't need" in which he pretty much nails it, IMO.

That said, I love mine and it's become my favorite thing to take to the range.

sinensis

Sep 4, 2018
    Columbia, MD
    Law does not specify the caliber for the AR. It does for other listings.

Personally, I would not build a .300 BO AR without a heavy barrel.

That's what I did when I built my .458. I looked for an HBAR marketed barrel. the gas block on this mine is .936 lol.. it's a bit front heavy...

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You're in a position to tell us . What do YOU think of your AR-10 ? Are you satisfied with shooting offhand , and carrying it all day ? Or do you sometimes wish it were lighter/ smaller ? Due to the expansion ratios involved , the .300 is easier to suppress , and gives good performance from very short bbls . If neither of those is on your radar, then that's moot .

If you're satisfied with your AR-10 for all of your uses, then stick with that for your .30 cal MSR needs .

Now if you did want to fill a gap , and gain new capabilities , then consider 6.5G .

If you do like BCM on purpose, and don't mind spending the $$ , go for it , it's your personal satisfaction and pride of ownership , and enjoy .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom