• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Drive is easier, if you are starting from north of Balt Beltway. From DC region , or SoMd, Chantilly is easier access.

True. Coming from Harford the trip to the Oaks show is a breeze. I have done the Chantilly show a handful of times but have passed recently because I hate sitting in traffic on the Capital beltway.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Anyone see any decent deals on AK74 or VZ58 mags?

Looking for some of the "tall" ammo cans as well.

Lots of AK47 mags for sale, for what seemed like decent prices.
    I only saw one dealer with VZ58 mags in the left side building, they were in poor condition and $28 a piece. You are better off ordering from Midway from out of state.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'll second (third, fourth, whatever) the notion that there were near Timonium levels of knives (junk ones), nuts, jerky, etc., and that it was really crowded. The crowds definitely made it less fun, but overall I'd still say it was ok. I certainly don't regret going. Bought a little bit of ammo. Leaving just as the hailstorm hit was interesting...

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    True. Coming from Harford the trip to the Oaks show is a breeze. I have done the Chantilly show a handful of times but have passed recently because I hate sitting in traffic on the Capital beltway.

From southern Carroll county, Oaks is 2 h 16 min, 141 miles. Chantilly is exactly half that, in both distance and time (may vary with beltway traffic, of course). Unfortunately the Oaks show sounds great, but not 4 1/2 hours of driving great.

I may have to wander up to York tomorrow though... everyone else in my house will be working so no reason not to.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I'll second (third, fourth, whatever) the notion that there were near Timonium levels of knives (junk ones), nuts, jerky, etc., and that it was really crowded. The crowds definitely made it less fun, but overall I'd still say it was ok. I certainly don't regret going. Bought a little bit of ammo. Leaving just as the hailstorm hit was interesting...

The last two or three times I have been to York I have noticed an increasing amount of junk Chinese knives and other dumb crap.

Oaks seems to have less of that so I go there now.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    It's the same promoter, Appalachian promotions that does York and Timonium.

Oaks show is another promoter (Eagle Arms?) that seems to have less "flea market" tables.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    The last two or three times I have been to York I have noticed an increasing amount of junk Chinese knives and other dumb crap.

Oaks seems to have less of that so I go there now.

Yeah...it's a shame...:sad20: but York is a much nicer drive. Don't get me wrong, Oaks is alway on my calendar, too...;)

It's the same promoter, Appalachian promotions that does York and Timonium.

That 'splains it :sad20:

george g.

Jan 11, 2009
    Edgemere
    Lots of AK47 mags for sale, for what seemed like decent prices.
    I only saw one dealer with VZ58 mags in the left side building, they were in poor condition and $28 a piece. You are better off ordering from Midway from out of state.

J&C sales had vz58 mags for $25 in great shape.I didn't see them at first,but asked the guy and there they were.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    I went to the York show yesterday. That was the first one i have ever been to. Spent some great man time with my son. We both loved it. Got to see a lot of great guns, get some perspective, like size, weight, etc. Put hands on some. I don't have a base to form a comparison of shows, but I am definitely glad i went. Only 50min to an hour from my house. Worth the drive for us.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    How big is Chantilly show as opposed to Oaks? I wanna fingerbang some STI 2011's and haven't seen any at shows. Anyone have some input for me as to which show may have some?

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    How big is Chantilly show as opposed to Oaks? I wanna fingerbang some STI 2011's and haven't seen any at shows. Anyone have some input for me as to which show may have some?

You should check out 2A Sales. They always have STI 2011s in stock. I bought my STI Nitro 10 from them.

offthepaper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 7, 2007
    Harford County
    Went this morning. Not crowded, but not emppty. Found and brought home a NIB Ruger American in 30-06 for $299. I have the RA in 243 and absolutely love it so, we'll see. Picked up a few odds and ends. $25 SR Primers, powder, cheap used 9mm brass. Grand Daughter got a bird whistle, everybody's happy. Not a bad show.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Definitely a big show. Granted it was Sunday but seemed a little deceiving as it didn't seem to have "much". More surplus, jewelry, sausages (no pun), usual million AR parts vendors. Fair amount of mags but the same stuff from table to table, never did find any circle 10 74 mags and the bakelite ones were expensive.

The notable deals were:

- Vendor in back of the larger hall had G3 Aluminum mags for $2.50 each if you bought 2. Granted these mags can still be bought for $0.50 each if you want a hundred, but most vendors are trying to break them up for $10 each.

- Couple Olympic Arms 9mm uppers at $499 which isn't bad, complete.

- Guy had a FIE bronco (its a bicycle .22 gun imported in the 60s) for $260 plus transfers and stuff. Would have been game at $200.

- A couple pre-64 Winchesters for $500 and less.

- Saw a bunch of the chrome RIA shotguns, damn nice guns for around $200. May have to get one for an extra truck gun, one always wants another shottie but its hard to justify when I have an extra Mossberg 590 laying around that is my general beater.

- A whole rack of 1916 Mausers advertised as WV specials for $99. Most were rusty with sewerpipe bores and cracked stocks. Would have been a good buy if you need one for parts, they might have cleaned up better.

Walked out with a black backpack for a in the car bug-out kit build, some G3 mags and some other small stuff. Not a scratch but stuff beyond new and AR equipment is definitely drying up or people are holding onto it hoping for a price rebound. The remaining C&R stuff at any sane pricepoint is definitely dropping significantly in grade.

Last edited:

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    I must of missed the >$500 pre-64 model 70s or I would have probably have brought one home with me.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    When I was in (different part of PA ) on sat, it was aprox .20 difference from SoMd ( which in turn is .20-.25 difference from King George Va ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom