• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Sell all of them except for one, invest in mutual funds, and hope the stock market doesn't go down ?

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I can also add that there are two types of wives in this regard. My first wife understood only "I need" not "I want". The wonderful woman I call my "forever wife" says "If it makes you happy go ahead." Our bills are paid, our daughter is thorough college and married and doing well. Life is pretty good overall. That makes a big difference.

Good. Too many men are whipped by their wives. Pathetic really.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I never wanted a lot of AR's. Heck, lately I've been wanting to sell my 18" AR and put a 1-4x scope on my CQB AR just to nake it the jack of alll trades and size down my collection, which isn't big to begin with. Sometimes the more you have, the less you use them.

A few different rifles with different purposes is nice, but I'd rather spend that extra money on a suppressor, night vision, training, ammo etc. You can only use so many guns at once afterall.

Also, each AR is money you could be saving on land to actually use those guns on.

Still, you should always have a backup plan. Do not keep all of your AR's in the same spot either.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I never wanted so many 1903 rifles either but ended up with several dozen though that's been pared down to about ten. The same with M1 Garands...had about a dozen and down to two now. Some things are like friends with benefits...you can't stop at just one but eventually you find out you have to cut back for your own health.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I’m dain bramaged (brain damaged) when it comes to working with my hands.

AR's are actually pretty easy to build. torque wrench and a vise and you're gtg. the fallacy though is building yourself is not necessarily cheaper, and actually prob more expensive, just that you can pick every single piece you want vs what the manufacturer of the complete rifle used. and places like rainier arms will assemble all your parts for a nominal fee, i think $100, if you want the best of both worlds.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Not a big AR fan, I owned zero until 2 years ago. Bought a few nice ones, built a few from striped receivers, several 80s. 223 is still pretty cheap to shoot, and their are a lot of fun cartridges, suppressed 300blk and 458 SOCOM are neat.

I doubt a ban will go down the same way, but "How many machine gun auto sears were too many in 1985?". In 30 years how man $60 stripped lowers do you wish you horded? I am not saying to dump your 401k into ARs, but some small fraction could be called diversification or speculation.

Archon

NFA = No Fun Allowed
    Nov 13, 2018
    Rockville
    The only limit to how may ARs you can have should be based on your bank account.

Plus, though our state political system may be a den of thieves and vipers, they are not stupid.

It would be political suicide for the MD government to send our law enforcement into two-way rifle ranges day-in and day-out in order to confiscate firearms.

Many people are not afraid to fight the government, and God help those that are sent to face them.

(for the FBI/NSA/ATF agent reading these threads, I am speaking in purely hypothetical terms)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    The government can (and will) try to mandate whatever they wish to try to mandate. And the people can (and will) ultimately decide what they’re going to abide by. As the old saying goes, it ultimately takes 2 to tango. This is and this will indeed remain true here.

New York mandated AR registration with the so called “Safe Act”, as an obvious precursor to any future confiscation schemes. And if the figures are to be believed, the registration compliance rate is said by some to be somewhere in the range of 4%. Given the level of non-compliance, it remains to be seen what (if anything) transpires from here. But clearly a statement has been made by the AR owning citizens there. And the ball is now squarely in the government’s court.

My hope is that the SCOTUS one day soon follows clear Constitutional guidance, and puts this issue to sleep. In the meantime? You want an AR, or another one? Buy it. The more the merrier.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    The only limit to how may ARs you can have should be based on your bank account.

Plus, though our state political system may be a den of thieves and vipers, they are not stupid.

It would be political suicide for the MD government to send our law enforcement into two-way rifle ranges day-in and day-out in order to confiscate firearms.

Many people are not afraid to fight the government, and God help those that are sent to face them.

(for the FBI/NSA/ATF agent reading these threads, I am speaking in purely hypothetical terms)

Welcome to MDS and ......

Attachments

• ACB936C0-4423-40AD-9E9B-465431094B15.jpeg
      ACB936C0-4423-40AD-9E9B-465431094B15.jpeg
      38.3 KB · Views: 334

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    While you can never predict what a court can do, the strongest argument is not only the Second Amendment but the Constitution's prohibition of ex-post facto laws and Bills of Attainder. The government cannot make illegal what was legal when you first purchased it...that would violate the prohibition on ex-post facto laws...but that has happened in the past and anti-freedom courts have upheld that. NYC did exactly that some years back. It demonstrates how important it is to have truly Constitutionally grounded judges on the local, state and federal benches and not political hacks. It's a constant fight that unfortunately will likely never go away. It's behind the state ban on previously owned"assault rifles" and 10+ magazines...the state couldn't ban previously owned examples due to such a Constitutional prohibition...no matter how much many would support that. That pesky Constitution simply keeps getting in their way.

As far as "too many"...it's none of the government's business how many you own as long as you are a law-abiding citizen.

That didn’t work for bump stocks and binary triggers did it

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    It's simple math, you have a dozen AR 9s, 10s, 15s etc, the government bans 10 of them, how many do you still have?

all of them
    One thing that practically never gets reported is the mass non-complance after bans, think there were less than 5% compliance after CT required registration of ARs and < 10rd mags. They estimate Australia had about a 10% compliance after outright bans. The problem isn't neccesarily that a ban passes, it's what comes next, usually a big jump in crime, and a massive attack on rights, best thing to have then is a potent firearm, even if it happens to be illegal.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    That is exactly an ex-post facto law.
    No, it's not. You seriously need to acquaint yourself with this basic legal concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

The government is NOT prosecuting you for your purchase. They are prosecuting you for owning it after some future date. When that future date comes, the law is in effect; your actions are not being _post-facto_ criminalized. You made the decision to not be in compliance with the law _as it existed on that date_.

That would be an example of a Bill of Attainder.
    No, a bill of attainder is when legislature declares X people _guilty_ of a crime without a trial. Your Wikipedia quote even says this, so I'm not sure what the confusion is.

Ex-Post-Facto: Congress passing a law in 2017 that makes a crime of buying an AR in 2010. You get a trial (with a jury of your peers).

Bill of Attainder: Congress passing a law in 2017 that declares all people found with an AR will go to jail for 20 years _with no trial_.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    AR's are actually pretty easy to build. torque wrench and a vise and you're gtg. the fallacy though is building yourself is not necessarily cheaper, and actually prob more expensive, just that you can pick every single piece you want vs what the manufacturer of the complete rifle used. and places like rainier arms will assemble all your parts for a nominal fee, i think $100, if you want the best of both worlds.

I did offer to help him in a subtle way. :innocent0

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    It's simple math, you have a dozen AR 9s, 10s, 15s etc, the government bans 10 of them, how many do you still have?

all of them
    One thing that practically never gets reported is the mass non-complance after bans, think there were less than 5% compliance after CT required registration of ARs and < 10rd mags. They estimate Australia had about a 10% compliance after outright bans. The problem isn't neccesarily that a ban passes, it's what comes next, usually a big jump in crime, and a massive attack on rights, best thing to have then is a potent firearm, even if it happens to be illegal.

This is not at all scientific, but I’ve heard Nut-n-Fancy talk about the mass non-compliance in CA before. The result of all of this is that we are turned into criminals. Thank god for Kavanaugh and thank god we held the senate for 2 more years.

I did want to add that I’ve shared the OPs concern and I think it’s reasonable. I also 100% sympathize with those who wouldn’t comply with a hypothetical ban.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    No, it's not. You seriously need to acquaint yourself with this basic legal concept: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_post_facto_law

The government is NOT prosecuting you for your purchase. They are prosecuting you for owning it after some future date. When that future date comes, the law is in effect; your actions are not being _post-facto_ criminalized. You made the decision to not be in compliance with the law.

No, a bill of attainder is when legislature declares X people _guilty_ of a crime without a trial. Your Wikipedia quote even says this, so I'm not sure what the confusion is.

Ex-Post-Facto: Congress passing a law in 2017 that makes a crime of buying an AR in 2010. You get a trial (with a jury of your peers).

Bill of Attainder: Congress passing a law in 2017 that declares all people found with an AR will go to jail for 20 years _with no trial_.

I respectfully have to disagree but I'm not a lawyer...my wife is but I didn't run this by her. It's what I was taught in the police academy but as always is the case with the law...it's arguable and interpretation differ. In the academy the standard answer about the law is "It depends...on whatever yesterday's court decision was."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom