• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Hey guys! Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to give an update on the rifle acquisition situation. I ordered (and just recently received) a Stag Arms upper and parts kit, and I am in the process of purchasing a Mega Machine Shop "Gator" lower (just turned 21 two days ago :)). I will try to post pics once the rifle is fully assembled, but that may not happen for another two weeks or so.

(I couldn't help shaking as I opened the parts package. This being my first firearm, I was/am feeling very giddy and lightheaded, although that may be due to a lack of food I've been experiencing lately :o. Seriously, I've lost about 40 lbs since this thread started, and at this rate I may have to see a doctor sometime soon :sad20:.)

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    Hey guys! Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just wanted to give an update on the rifle acquisition situation. I ordered (and just recently received) a Stag Arms upper and parts kit, and I am in the process of purchasing a Mega Machine Shop "Gator" lower (just turned 21 two days ago :)). I will try to post pics once the rifle is fully assembled, but that may not happen for another two weeks or so.

(I couldn't help shaking as I opened the parts package. This being my first firearm, I was/am feeling very giddy and lightheaded, although that may be due to a lack of food I've been experiencing lately :o. Seriously, I've lost about 40 lbs since this thread started, and at this rate I may have to see a doctor sometime soon :sad20:.)

:gun7: Your gonna love it. Just be careful with those retaining pins!

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008

Fortunately, you don't really need much in the way of tools to finish it. I think you'll really enjoy it. I just picked up a new AR for myself too. I just got my Colt M-16 parts kit from Copes for $499. It's being built on a Tactical Machining 80% lower. Serial number... what serial number? :) I don't need a stinking serial number!

Mark

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    @coinboy:
    :) Thanks for the advice, but what is it about the retaining pin that I need to be careful about? Is it just because it's small and easy to lose?

@markp:
    :thumbsup: Nice. I've heard about 80% lowers. Is it true that you can't legally sell it unless you've used it beforehand? Also, what machines are necessary to build it?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    @markp:
    :thumbsup: Nice. I've heard about 80% lowers. Is it true that you can't legally sell it unless you've used it beforehand? Also, what machines are necessary to build it?

You can't build it with the intent to sell it, so even if you use it, if you built it with the plan to sell, that would be illegal. If you decide to sell it later because you want to sell it, that's fine. Intent is tough to prove, but I would only sell it after I had it a while. It is also illegal to have someone else "finish" it for you... If you're helping that counts as you building it, if you drop it off to be finished, then that person better be an FFL07.

At a minimum to build one, you need a drill press and a dremel tool. If you have a milling machine, it's easier.

Mark

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    @coinboy:
    :) Thanks for the advice, but what is it about the retaining pin that I need to be careful about? Is it just because it's small and easy to lose?

Correct. When installing the retaing pins be careful because they will be under spring pressure and can really easily be lost if you lose your grip on them.

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Well, it has been a few months, but I finally got it close to how I want it. It now has a Bushmaster hbar 20" upper with carrying handle, in addition to a cheap NcStar scope I got in a trade.

As promised, here are some pics (apologies for the $h!te picture quality, but I only had my phone on me):
    9KLHs.jpg

2UroB.jpg

MF4fW.jpg

dWTaT.jpg

OSQix.jpg

Ejpsa.jpg

Yj0sL.jpg

xxT8T.jpg

boFrH.jpg

OGOVa.jpg

ysDOA.jpg

e9tbP.jpg

O27tE.jpg

GBBLz.jpg

fZ9Pu.jpg

oa3dP.jpg

mAdaK.jpg

:D

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    If you had lost 40 pounds in less than a month when this post was first made, I'm scared to think what you're down to now ... probably just skin and bones.

Anyway, nice rifle. Seems like you skipped the whole .22 LR phase entirely. You need to post a range report after you first shoot it, of course.

ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    Not yet. I'm hoping to go to Cresap some time after finals are done.

I ended up losing about 60 pounds total, and have now stabilized. :D

I wanted to get a .22 as well, but due to school costs I have had to postpone the acquisition.

Last edited:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    nice setup, i have basically the same thing, but mine's fulton armory.

20" hbar and carry handle.

no scope.

im probably going to end up building my 2nd lower into a nice carbine with proper optics eventually and then scope the hbar as my longer range rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom