• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Haha- now here’s a surprise. Over pay for a prancing pony and get psa quality.

Well, you might know that the one the guy with one of the most-watched YT gun channel would have issues.

I won’t be so quick to condemn Colt. I had a (new) 629 that had to go back x4 to S&W before the cylinder started locking-up (again) with full-power Magnum loads. I think they’ll get these issues ironed-out pretty quickly.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I can't explain the problem with the cylinder not turning, but the other with hammer strikes not igniting the primer was known to Colt and they recalled all the revolvers at distributors for a fix prior to them being cleared for sale on the market. That revolver apparently didn't make it back to the factory. The issue was ammunition related...Colt discovered that certain .357 ammunition (don't know which brands) had very hard primers and would fail to fire occasionally. While it was ammunition related Colt knew it would be seen as their issue. The fix was to reengineer the transfer bar with a different design and the problems solved before the guns were released. That doesn't mean every Python made it back for the fix.

Over forty years of shooting and collecting guns I've had a few defective right out of the box...unfortunately it's not unusual regardless of the maker. I've had both a S&W Model 19 and 66 each be defective right out of the box. I had a Colt Detective Special break its firing pin after very few rounds were put through it. When a LEO and we received a shipment of ew Model 64 revolvers...upon testing them I found one was a smoothbore...no rifling at all in the barrel. The S&W person I talked to regarding said it had to pass a dozen inspectors and still didn't get caught. My brother bought a H&K P7 brand new and ended up having to have it fixed by H&K before it would operate properly.

I had a Springfield Armory M1A National Match that wouldn't shoot well and went full-auto once...then there was a recall announced by SA regarding the bolt and trigger group...mine suffered from both issues. They fixed it and it was a tack driver from then on.

It happens...no one likes it when it happens...but it happens.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Well, you might know that the one the guy with one of the most-watched YT gun channel would have issues.

I won’t be so quick to condemn Colt. I had a (new) 629 that had to go back x4 to S&W before the cylinder started locking-up (again) with full-power Magnum loads. I think they’ll get these issues ironed-out pretty quickly.

Was this one of the engineering upgrade models which were supposed to eliminate that shortcoming? Those updates came along about '96 or 97', IIRC.

Last edited:

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Most of the appeal of the Python is that it had a beautiful blue. This new Python is stainless steel. Gone also are the beautiful wood grips. My question is, how is it better than a S&W 686? In fact, I'd prefer a 686-0 (with wood grips, integral front sight, chrome plated hammer and trigger, stamped side plate) to a new stainless Python. I look at the photos of the new Python and I see that vents are the only remaining selling point.

It appears that Colt has fixed the grips, which is great. The original Python also had an undersized hand/pawl, and I'd like to know if they fixed it.

As far as accuracy, the 686 is no better or worse than the Python. The old-fashioned bluing is environmentally unfriendly, or incorrect. I have one of the original guns and wouldn't part with it. I'd also love to have one of the old blued gun; however, I'd be loath to buy one of the new ones. It may be a Colt, but it's far from being a Python. And without that luxurious, mile-deep blue it's hardly back. With today's finishes, they could put a long-lasting blue on the stainless steel that would be incredible. The problem is, once it began wearing, people would be trying to get it off.

--

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Most of the appeal of the Python is that it had a beautiful blue. This new Python is stainless steel. Gone also are the beautiful wood grips. My question is, how is it better than a S&W 686? In fact, I'd prefer a 686-0 (with wood grips, integral front sight, chrome plated hammer and trigger, stamped side plate) to a new stainless Python. I look at the photos of the new Python and I see that vents are the only remaining selling point.

It appears that Colt has fixed the grips, which is great. The original Python also had an undersized hand/pawl, and I'd like to know if they fixed it.

As far as accuracy, the 686 is no better or worse than the Python. The old-fashioned bluing is environmentally unfriendly, or incorrect. I have one of the original guns and wouldn't part with it. I'd also love to have one of the old blued gun; however, I'd be loath to buy one of the new ones. It may be a Colt, but it's far from being a Python. And without that luxurious, mile-deep blue it's hardly back. With today's finishes, they could put a long-lasting blue on the stainless steel that would be incredible. The problem is, once it began wearing, people would be trying to get it off.

--

Colt has all but formally announced a blued version of the new Python but has yet to hint about availability. I'm just as eager as anyone to see if Colt can come close to duplicating the old royal blue of the original Pythons. They gotta be aware of the incredibly high standards and expectations of Colt fans and if they try to half-ass it and get away with it, they'll never hear the end of it. Sales will suffer accordingly.

I absolutely can't get past the ILS (aka Hillary Hole) on new S&W revolvers. I have no desire to own one just for that reason. I'll keep my fingers crossed and trust that Colt will address current issues in upcoming production runs and by the time I'm ready to get my 4-incher, it'll be good to go. I actually prefer stainless for guns I intend to shoot a lot.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Just picked up my new Python a couple of days ago. Beautiful revolver...Colt did it right with a super finish and buttery smooth action. I want to get to the range within a couple of days to see if the performance matches the looks.
    Python-left.jpg

Python-muzzle-front.jpg

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Just picked up my new Python a couple of days ago. Beautiful revolver...Colt did it right with a super finish and buttery smooth action. I want to get to the range within a couple of days to see if the performance matches the looks.
    Python-left.jpg

Python-muzzle-front.jpg

Give us a full range report. I want one, but don't want any reliability issues.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

That is a thing of beauty! I too am hoping for no reliability issues. Planning on picking up the 4.25 and 6” in stainless and blue when they arrive and hoping round two does as well over the years with appreciation. Will need to get 4.25 stations to shoot as well.

Last edited:

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While there's lots of reports of problems, from what I understand it is kind of limited...it just seems to be widespread. Colt is addressing the problems and making good on guns being returned. One thing about the internet...it not only is a source for good news it also spreads incorrect news even faster and makes it seem worse than it is.

After watching some of the YouTube videos, many of the "reviewers" have little idea what they're doing...showing poor gun handling and safety techniques and even poorer testing criteria. One guy even said he was using a random amount of reloaded ammunition and experienced malfunctions. He also complains of no ignition when shooting...if you count he did so on the seventh shot. I had to give my best Homer Simpson DOH!

There has been some legitimate problems...not to be fully unexpected on the launch of a new handgun. No matter how well designed and manufactured and tested an piece of machinery is...until it's in the hands of the buying public who use, misuse and abuse it will problems be known.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It may be the lack of an integral lock or simply a blanket statement regarding the 10-round magazine limit or even a reference to Maryland's handgun roster board. It could simply be Colt's legal department talking.

I had no problem when buying my new Python here...I found a distributor who sent it in to a Maryland FFL and got my "Not Disapproved" in seven days with no problem.

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    While there's lots of reports of problems, from what I understand it is kind of limited...it just seems to be widespread. Colt is addressing the problems and making good on guns being returned. One thing about the internet...it not only is a source for good news it also spreads incorrect news even faster and makes it seem worse than it is.

After watching some of the YouTube videos, many of the "reviewers" have little idea what they're doing...showing poor gun handling and safety techniques and even poorer testing criteria. One guy even said he was using a random amount of reloaded ammunition and experienced malfunctions. He also complains of no ignition when shooting...if you count he did so on the seventh shot. I had to give my best Homer Simpson DOH!

There has been some legitimate problems...not to be fully unexpected on the launch of a new handgun. No matter how well designed and manufactured and tested an piece of machinery is...until it's in the hands of the buying public who use, misuse and abuse it will problems be known.

Picked up my Python on the 17th. The first thing I noticed was the action seemed dry after running a few snap caps and just dry firing. As a result, decided to remove the grips and do a lube and wipe down. Not sure the lube job made the difference but sure seemed to. The next day went to the range and fired about 75 rounds. the trigger pull is even and smooth, with no lag. I also brought my 686 for comparison. Could not tell much difference in the pull, other than the 686 pull was somewhat lighter. However, on double action the Colt seemed to have a shorter trigger pull and I experienced slightly better double action control with the Colt. Ammunition used was 357 mag/110GR jacked HP, manufactured by Olin, Q4202. Over all, the colt is a little pricey, but I'm satisfied, it's a great gun. I may contact Altomont Company for some custom grips as the factory grips seem small for my hands requiring me to really concentrate on my grip.
    (https://www.altamontco.com/)

fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    fred2207:

“The next day went to the range and fired about 75 rounds. the trigger pull is even and smooth, with no lag.”

Doesn’t stack (get harder to pull) at end of the trigger pulls?

No noticeable stacking... I guess that is what I meant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom