• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    What are your favorite hunting boots?

Wet boots - I have old Rubber hunting boots that lasted for 10 years but they are heavy and semi hard on my knee sometimes. I got Muck boots kind of a lighter replacement for warmer weather and the cloth on the uppers is peeling off the neoprene on the second year. Maybe it's the camo cloth instead of getting the black. Seemed to happen after cutting a tree up last winter. Not really tough enough.

Deer boots - I got Cabelas Full Draw boots, lightly insulated, easy to walk in. I just use quilted boots when it's cool. Easy to walk and climb ladders and easy on my knee. 2nd year and too much walking and sole was delamination on one foot and had to shoe goo it back together. I have hiking shoes doing the same thing before I can wear the tread off the soles. I am getting very leary of these glued on soles. I have Carolina boots that are 20 years old I use them for wood cutting and still kicking anything I put in front of them. I am thinking of going back to an insulated leather boot, stitched to the sole, for bow hunting and soaking it in mink oil.

What are your suggestions for quality waterfowl or deer boots? I've grown pretty tired of some of the crap boots I've bought in the past ten years.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Lacrosse green rubber boots for deer hunting in warm weather; insulated 800 gram for cold weather.

LL Bean wool lined tall duck boots for upland hunting.

LL bean wool socks with a spare pare in my bag/vest/truck if my feet get cold.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Around my way I use knee boots if I don't need hippers or waders. Usually the cheapest ones I can find, usually try to stay around 100 bucks give or take a few dollars. I try to look for ones with the well defined heel that looks like a peg and without the bottom part that is glued or gusseted to the upper in one piece. If they start to separate once the sand gets in there they cut to pieces and separate, pull apart from the mud. I like them for stalking because the footprint is small and you can feel the bottom with them if you will.
    Lately a lot in the bunch are starting to wear the muck boots. Black or brown, insulated, they're called wetlanders or something. That outside will shred but they seem to last fairly decent as long as they aren't punctured. Next pair I get I'm getting the Lacrosse greenies with they yellow piping. They last relatively well and are reasonably priced. Im lucky enough to not have to wear insulated models except for when its very cold. For that I'll wear ankle boots with the outside of the sole or lug ground off to keep them from getting hung up on briars and to lighten them up some.
    I raised four kids who wore the hell out of boots and used the hell out of them for I don't know how many years. I primarily stuck with mid grade la-cross for price and durability but when they started paying for them I'm seeing the muck brand. Glad I don't have to buy them any more.
    I think I'm seeing crocs and black knit socks in this picture of oldest from a few days ago however. Oily blue khakis and all. All good until your dragging 45 min later. I cant take this stuff very seriously anymore after raising these hillbilly sh&^heads.
    InkedSwamp Stand_LI.jpg

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I use Mucks, both "Arctic" and Woody.

I know they are Chinese made shit, but,... they really work well for me. Lightweight, warm in most conditions, TOO warm in others.

Buddy of mine swears by his Lacrosse (I have their waders and they are very nice). I find his boots to be kinda bulky looking.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I think you're on a good track. Leather/Cordura insulated uppers with stitching. I have not found a pair of rubber boots that fit or we're comfortable for me.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I've had 3 pairs of Rocky's so far.

First pair, both soles came totally off while walking to my stand opening day. They were about 3 years old at the time.

Second pair, the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned. Lightweight and warm with good toe protection and tread. My dear wife cleared some things out of my basement while I was on a fishing trip one weekend. The company that the hired hauled away one of the boots. She still hears about this over 5 years later!

Current Rocky boots are nice, good fit and finish. A little narrow even though they are wide.

A couple years ago I treated myself to a pair of Danner Pronghorms. They are well made but too bulky for my purposes.

I've only tried them on,worn for less than 10 minutes total. Still in box. Size 14, anyone interested?

[Edit, I misspoke, they are actually size 13EE.]

Last edited:

Goldslammer

MDS Supporter
    Nov 10, 2010
    Brooklyn Park
    I have a wide foot and huge calfs, so Muck Boots don't fit me.
    I been using Merrill hiking boots as my hunting boots, since
    my Irish Setters started leaking after 10+ years...

I just can't find a muck/rubber boot that fits over my calf when I'm wearing insulated hunting pants.….

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    I have a pair of danners that I could wear all day in the snow and they lace tight enough to switch to lighter socks and wear them for most of the spring turkey season. They are just extremely comfortable and stay dry. They came from BassPro. I think that they are the vital 1200 or the older version that look just like them as they are now 6 or so years old.

Around the house, I have a pair of kamik boots. Similar to the muck boots but fit me better. They are very warm with the liner in, but impossibly big without the liner. So, I would not plan on wearing them both ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom