• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks! Doing my suppressor research and getting closer to taking the plunge.
    My opinion is don't over think it. You will probably end up with more than one anyway, so get going as soon as you can afford it. Definitely go with a local that does all your prints and types your paperwork for you, or a Silencershop affiliate. You could probably get a cheaper deal buying online and having stuff shipped in, but after transfer fees and the lost time trying to do all the stuff right yourself, it's probably not worth it for a first timer.

Clump

Sep 19, 2008
    Felton, DE
    My opinion is don't over think it. You will probably end up with more than one anyway, so get going as soon as you can afford it. Definitely go with a local that does all your prints and types your paperwork for you, or a Silencershop affiliate. You could probably get a cheaper deal buying online and having stuff shipped in, but after transfer fees and the lost time trying to do all the stuff right yourself, it's probably not worth it for a first timer.

Thanks for that! Definitely going local.

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    Thanks for that! Definitely going local.

The SilencerShop kiosks makes it super easy. You do the prints on the kiosk and use your smartphone for the picture, type your name/address/etc into the website. The paperwork is emailed to you, pre filled out and all you do is digitally sign it. They handle everything else.

Not to say that a local shop can't be just as fast, especially if they can do photos and prints there.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The SilencerShop kiosks makes it super easy. You do the prints on the kiosk and use your smartphone for the picture, type your name/address/etc into the website. The paperwork is emailed to you, pre filled out and all you do is digitally sign it. They handle everything else.

Not to say that a local shop can't be just as fast, especially if they can do photos and prints there.

And, unfortunately for one's wallet, the 2nd one is even easier.

ant92083

Lord Of Summer
    Jul 15, 2016
    MD
    Update: Filed 03 DEC 17, approved 16 MAY 18, stamp in hand 20 MAY 18. Just in time for some awesome SBR sales to happen because of the holiday weekend.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Picked up my Liberty Cosmic today. Paperwork is downstairs, but I'm pretty sure its within 10 days of all the others for approval time. Silencershop is running a special right now on the Liberty Booster (buy one with a .578x28 piston, get a free 1/2x28 piston), so I have .45 ACP and 9mm covered whenever that shows up. That puts me at around $675 into this can WITH booster and two pistons, which isn't too bad for a pistol can that can be used for some centerfire rifles too. Mine did not ship with a fixed barrel adapter, but I don't really see myself putting it on a PCC or semi auto rifle anytime soon anyway.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with my final two suppressors (Rugged Micro and Dead Air Wolverine) that are still in NFA Jail. I think they are going to take a little longer, because BATFE took over a month to cash my checks.

I am also finally going to send my request for a certified copy of my Form 4 for my Griffin Optimus tomorrow. It is annoying that this is actually the first suppressor I purchased, yet has taken me the longest to take possession of. First it takes Silencershop/Griffin Armament well over a month to come up with a serial # and complete my paperwork, and then USPS loses my stamp. Then I have to travel for a month for work and don't have time to sleep, let alone type/print out/sign/scan/email a dumb letter to ATF. Starting to believe that this suppressor might be cursed.

Not much else out there for me right now that I can suppress l the things. Could see myself buying the Dead Air Odessa 9 (or a Q pistol caliber Erector if it doesn't get cancelled) and maybe a PCC/subgun specific can someday. Should have plenty to tide me over until there's another generational leap in suppressors.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Got the magic phone call from Engage today, and picked up a new Rugged Oculus. Submitted this as a one-shot trust through Silencer Shop. I placed the order on 10/11/17, and the reported federal "check cash" date was just over a month later, on 11/17/17. The circle was closed today, 5/26. So, beginning to end, including a visit to the Silencer Shop kiosk to handle the prints and e-signature/etc, was essentially 7 months. That's actually faster than I was expecting, reading reports.

The bad news: Rugged forgot to include the cap removal tool, so I can't use my new toy until I get that sorted out. Who knows what's going to be involved, between Engage, Silencer Shop, and Rugged. I hate to think I'm in for a reverse transfer or more paperwork if they won't do the right thing and simply ship me the tool pronto. We'll see!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    They'll just ship you the tool.

I would hit Rugged up directly, on social media, or they have an active presence on Reddit as well.

dgtaurus

Feb 17, 2011
    Pasadena
    Mailed in a Form 1 SLR 104 SBR on March 30th.
    Cashed check on April 6th.
    They estimated 8 Months total. So I’m guessing November/December.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    They'll just ship you the tool.

I would hit Rugged up directly, on social media, or they have an active presence on Reddit as well.

As a follow-up: Rugged stepped up and hustled the missing tool out to me. And some lovely stickers just in case. The Silencer Shop guys felt bad, and pitched in with a Rugged can mitt. All’s well in can land. Now if only the federal government could act as quickly and focus on its customers with as much dedication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom