• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    A guy at a store told me that this thing will help my accuracy in rifles. I watched a video on how it works. Who here uses this and does it work?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    There are a lot of discussions of this in previous threads.

In a nut shell, if you are measuring the length of your rounds from the case head to the bullet tip you are not measuring them where the die touches them or where they engage the rifling, that is, on the ogive of the bullet. So, you will see greater disparity in OAL even if you keep the same depth on the die, round to round. This becomes important when you are trying to adjust the distance from the bullet to the rifle lands.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've noticed that on some loads of mine that the bolt is hard to close. I'm thinking that I have the bullet too far outa nd I'm probably forcing it in the barrel or into the case so I want to correct that. I've just been going by the manual's OAL so far.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I've noticed that on some loads of mine that the bolt is hard to close. I'm thinking that I have the bullet too far outa nd I'm probably forcing it in the barrel or into the case so I want to correct that. I've just been going by the manual's OAL so far.

Excessive OAL may be the problem. Have you inserted and removed a round to see if it has rifling marks?

You could also make a round without a primer and powder and do the smoke-the-bullet bit to see if it contacts the rifling. I don't recommend that for trying to adjust the jump distance but it might help prove that's the issue.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    One other thing if you get the Hornady guage. Get a piece of hardwood dowel narrow enough to insert into your bore and several inches longer than the bore. This helps a great deal with "feeling" whether or not the bullet is just contacting the rifling when you use the guage.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

If you're carefully measuring your cartridge OAL, and it consistently falls within your manual's maximum specs? And if you say your bolt is still hard to close?

There's a much better than good chance that what you're describing is a sizing die adjustment issue, not a cartridge OAL issue.

https://www.sinclairintl.com/guntech/setting-up-a-full-length-sizing-die-/detail.htm?lid=16134

Last edited:

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    I live and die by my OAL gage. It really helps and also gives you a way to keep track of throat wear. It is a very useful tool. I also highly recommend the Hornady concentricity gauge.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I got the stuff yesterday and loaded some rounds of 7MM Rem Mag using the stuff. I shot about 20 rounds and have to say that it made a difference in accuracy.

I like how this method takes the guesswork out of how your handload bullet works in your rifle.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Is also kinda fun to adjust the jump distance and see what happens to your accuracy.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I moved on to trying the stuff out on my Remington 770 308 rifle. It didn't turn out very well.

When I used the OAL tool to measure where the ogive was hitting the chamber it was way off. It was so long that just a small part of the bullet was still in the case and was way over the max OAL in the Hornady manual. I was measuring Hornady's 150 gr. FMJBT bullet.

I then tried it on my 770 in 300 Win Mag and got a similar result.

At this point I'm confused. :confused:

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I moved on to trying the stuff out on my Remington 770 308 rifle. It didn't turn out very well.

When I used the OAL tool to measure where the ogive was hitting the chamber it was way off. It was so long that just a small part of the bullet was still in the case and was way over the max OAL in the Hornady manual. I was measuring Hornady's 150 gr. FMJBT bullet.

I can tell you that when I tried to measure a couple of 03A3 Springfields that I could push the bullet completely out of the case and it would not hit the lands. Other rifles did not show excessively deep throats like this. The K31 for instance was short. It was not throat wear in the first case, these were almost new looking rifles and very accurate. It appears that that is just how they were built.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    I use it with every new rifle and ever 500 rounds. Once I know my bullets preferred jump, I can move it out to follow the lands.

Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD

Don't fret. You will have this with some rifles, in which case, the OAL gauge will not be of much use. I have it with my Savage Predator in .204 Ruger, which are known to have long throats. What I do is seat the bullet as shallow as I can where it will still reliably feed from the mag, preferably with at least one bullet diameter of bearing surface into the case neck.

Major03

Ultimate Member

This doesn't mean the tool isn't working as designed. It just means that those rifles have a very long throat, which isn't atypical for military and/or commercial "off the rack" rifles.

Obviously in that case, you're bullet is going to jump quite a bit and there isn't much you can do about that.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The same thing happened with my 30-06 700. Maybe I got the wrong part that I thought was for .308 bullets

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I bought the cases for 223, 22-250 and 270 and it looks like I'll be able to use them. I'll make up rounds and see if they improve my accuracy (which was very good with the 223 and 22-250 anyway).

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Striper69,

The above advice is sound. And since you have the tool now, I would recommend using cases fired in your chamber on the gauge. Hornady, when they bought Stoney Point to get that and a couple other designs, used an atypical thread to prevent end users from doing this but, if you have access to correct tooling, your measurements will be more precise. I was forced to do this as I load multiple chamberings that Hornady does not offer modified cases for (and I am a tinkerer by nature). My experience using my own wildcat cases thus modified led me to make cases for even my "SAAMI" chambered barrels. The consistency of measurement tightened up compared to the Hornady made modified cases. Using a case from your chamber eliminates wobble in the tool and allows for increased precision.

Good shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom