• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Question: how often do you guys clean your not-for-duty (i.e. you just shoot them at the range) AR weapons?

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    NEVA! actually after every trip, but I have not cleaned it after and never had any issue. Just make sure its lubed and you should be OK for plenty of rounds.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    When I use them.

If I havent used them for a bit I'll lube them up which is basically cleaning them before I head out to the range.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I clean after every trip (most of the time) because I have an unnatural fear of rust. For some reason in my head, it will rust if it's not clean. But some people over clean and cause problems. Lately I've been good about only cleaning every few shoots.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    When it gets wet... We were out shooting in the rain all day one day, so I cleaned the guns when I got home. Otherwise they go back in the safe when I get home until I go to the range again.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Normally after every range trip, typically just wipe down bcg, boresnake the barrel - relube, good enough.

The evil piston upper though, I'll just boresnake it - haven't truly cleaned it in months now.

ASM80

Mar 10, 2012
    Hereford, MD
    I'll do a quick cleaning after every range trip. Mostly on the BCG and bore like others.

Does anyone ever pull out the FCG and clean down in the lower?

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Normally after every range trip, typically just wipe down bcg, boresnake the barrel - relube, good enough.

The evil piston upper though, I'll just boresnake it - haven't truly cleaned it in months now.

that piston rod will be easy to clean when its sticking out of your forhead:innocent0 bradicorn

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'll do a quick cleaning after every range trip. Mostly on the BCG and bore like others.

I used to, until I was told that pulling the lower apart wasn't the brightest idea - was told that pulling the FCG out would help wear the pin holes and allow the trigger pins to walk out - which they did. Hammer pin wouldn't walk out, but the trigger pin sure would after doing that a few times.

Got to love anti-rotation pins. :o

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia

I used to clean everything thing, top to bottom. I even tore down the BCG. If there was carbon on the bolt tail, that came off, too. I don't even bother anymore.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    that piston rod will be easy to clean when its sticking out of your forhead:innocent0 bradicorn

:lol: :lol2:

That is true...

Lord Chad is still patiently waiting for the day of my transformation - sadly for him though, that has yet to happen. :D

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I used to, until I was told that pulling the lower apart wasn't the brightest idea - was told that pulling the FCG out would help wear the pin holes and allow the trigger pins to walk out - which they did. Hammer pin wouldn't walk out, but the trigger pin sure would after doing that a few times.

Got to love anti-rotation pins. :o

i havent had issue w/ the trigger pin itself.. check where the hammer spring is sitting on.. it should be on top of the trigger pin and its sitting on one of the notched on the pin.

aehnuke

Aug 20, 2010
    I rarely do a thorough cleaning after every trip. I might run the bore snake through it and put a couple drops of lube on the bolt, but that's usually it. I haven't had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom