• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Of course, most folks with a Chargemaster have forgotten to close the powder empty hole and later pour powder all over the place when loading it up again!

There are those who HAVE and those who WILL. :D

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I used to do that. Now I check every 100 or so rounds. The Dillon is boringly consistent.

That’s what I do. On my 550B I check when it’s time to top off the primers. NEVER had a problem. Boring.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That’s what I do. On my 550B I check when it’s time to top off the primers. NEVER had a problem. Boring.

I am tending to do it every 5 primer reloads.

One day that might bite me. :D

But so far, I have never had to adjust it

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    I think it all depends what you want to get out of it, and what you're reloading for. When I started reloading I only loaded for precision rifle type stuff and it was all done on a single stage press. If I were going to go back to that type of shooting I'd probably still just load on the single I have. When I started loading for pistol volume became more of a thing and I moved to a progressive Lee pro 1000. Vary inexpensive and got the job done though a little temperamental. I still have two of these that get some use.

As my volume increased further began to want to spend as little time reloading as I could. Now I load mostly on a 650 with a case feeder and bullet feeder and can load at a rate of about 900-1000 per hour.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    I love my Lee Classic turret press. I have a separate disk for each caliber and keep the dies all set up and ready to go on them, so swapping calibers is only a question of replacing the disk with one for the new caliber. I use the automatic powder and primer loaders so I simply slide a piece of brass into the holder and pull the lever three or four times.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I've never had to adjust once it is set, so maybe not.

On my 550B, I've noticed a very slight increase, e.g. perhaps 0.3 gr max across 10 charges, as the powder hopper approaches empty.

For example, if I'm doing 3.9 gr charge with a flake powder, 10 sequential charges will weigh 39.1 gr or thereabouts with a half-full hopper, and with about an inch of powder left in the hopper 10 charges might weigh 39.4 gr. Definitely not something that requires adjusting, unless you want to keep the powder level the same.

This is only an observation. It might be statistically insignificant. The Dillon powder measure stays put pretty well.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I went with a Lee Classic Turret Kit folks.

I'll have tons more questions when I'm ready to actually start the factory.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I went with a Lee Classic Turret Kit folks.

I'll have tons more questions when I'm ready to actually start the factory.

That's what I use. I hand prime all my brass first so I took the rod out and spin it manually. Usually i'll prime all the brass days, weeks or months in advance. Then when I have plenty primed I'll crank em out. For my 308 I weigh each charge using a lyman powder system but for pistol and 223 I use the pro auto disk. I had to file away a bit of material on one of the disks for 223 to get it right where I wanted it.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    With the Lee system, It looks like you need Lee dies in order to take advantage of the powder charge system right?

I mean...the one set of Lee dies I have has a hole for it to charge through. I was told other manufacturers wouldn't.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    With the Lee system, It looks like you need Lee dies in order to take advantage of the powder charge system right?

I mean...the one set of Lee dies I have has a hole for it to charge through. I was told other manufacturers wouldn't.

The die you're referring to is the "powder through expanding die". Comes with Lee pistol caliber die sets. The hex nut cap unscrews and you can mount either an Auto Disk or Auto Drum powder measure. Disk measure is easiest to use for pistol calibers. Use table in back to determine which disk and charge hole to use and start loading.

Rifle calibers require the purchase of either a long or short charging die, depending on cartridge length. Short will load up to .223 and equivalent length cases. Long will do .223 and up. The rifle charging dies will not flare the case mouth like the pistol die will.

Auto drum is more precise than the disk model, but takes more trial and error to set up.

I've been using the Auto disk for several years for my pistols and have no complaints.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Now I see how it works.

So I guess I can use any dies, as long as I have the powder through Lee dies as well.

Do you think the auto drum is precise enough for long range match loads? If so I'll buy some if these.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There are also powder drop dies that do not expand. Meaning in you need an extra station, but then you are not limited to Lee dies.

Not that I have anything against Lee dies.

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Now I see how it works.

So I guess I can use any dies, as long as I have the powder through Lee dies as well.

Do you think the auto drum is precise enough for long range match loads? If so I'll buy some if these.

My buddy uses the Auto Drum and checks every tenth round. It is very consistent and never more than .1 grain off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom