• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Took a Winchester M1 Carbine out to test a new Wolf recoil/guide spring. Loaded up 110 grn PPU (Privi Partizan) and functioned with no issues (~15-20 rounds). Brass thrown to same area. Then loaded 110 grn Magtech, and began having cycling issues (not completely going into battery, rounds not feeding from magazine), brass being thrown behind and not close to where the PPU went. No pierced or blown primers.

Did some google fu, came down to headspace or ammo. I have ordered the go-nogo-field gauges from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Are these drop in gauges or will there be prep work like the AR gauges?

I am leaning towards the ammo, but would like to check the headspace as a precaution.

Q

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    There's no harm in checking the headspace...a wise precaution...but I agree that the ammunition is the likely culprit and the easiest to cure by simply using a different brand. I have some Magtech .30 Carbine but bought it simply to use in a Ruger Blackhawk in that caliber.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Most likely weak rounds. The rounds ejecting rearward is the clue. It means the ejector is popping the case out while the case and bolt are still moving rearwards. If the slide is cycling strongly (good spring plus adequate power round), the bolt reaches the end of its travel rearward and starts to move forward before the case is ejected. That results in cases going out sideways or slightly forward, which is normal.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Just checked the headspace on the M1, and bolt fully closed on go gauge, and partially closed on the field and no-go ganges. Learned how to use the bolt disassembly tool.

The video about the M1 carbine headspace check was a little confusing because he switched the bolts and they both failed on the no-go gauge. One closed completely, and the other would not close. Both closed on the go gauge.

I will send Magtech an email about the ammo.

Q

P.S., if anyone needs gauges or tools to borrow to check their M1 Carbine, I'll help if I can.

Doc TH

Oct 3, 2008
    Rockville
    More likely ammo related. I tried some Magtech in a S&W 686+ some years ago and found poor accuracy and clear differences in felt recoil, Did not happen w. Rem Holden Saber or Federal rounds. I concluded this was due to poor qual.control, and have not bought Magtech since.
    Re. M1 carbine, I found that Aguila gave frequent FT chamber, likely due to low power. Never happened with Rem., Win., Fec., or PPU M1 carbine ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom